Clean Monday Volta

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Clean Monday Volta

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:53 pm

On Clean Monday we drove up to Omalos. The tavernas were all packed and there were plenty of families out on the plain flying their kites. We decided to go up to the Kallergi refuge (at 1,680m) in search of snow.

Here's a picture taken on the road up to the refuge

the refuge

and here's the view from the refuge

That fluffy little cloud descended while we were having lunch and we drove back down (yes drove - day trippers :P ) in thick fog. Not for the faint hearted!

I'm putting together a page of photos for the site and they should be up (fairly) soon.

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Looks like a really good day, Carolina

We were last in Omalos a couple of years ago at around New Year and it was very snowy and beautiful. We were amazed at the number of people there.

We will have to try the drive to the refuge sometime. What is the drive like - when it's not snowing or covered in cloud?

Margarita

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:44 pm

Funny you should ask about the drive Margarita as I've just been updating a blog about it... the memories came flooding back.

It's a stony track, well worn away by melting snow water, and is only a car width in places with steep drops. It can only be attempted in a 4 x 4, or on foot of course. 4.5km from the Omalos plain.

For a fuller picture :? see here: http://livingincrete-carolina.blogspot.com/

margarita

Postby margarita » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks, Caroline, I don't think we'll try the drive then. I'm not sure that I'm keen on walking if there are steep drops. I haven't got much of a head for heights.

It reminded me of when we went to Omalos a few years ago in March. We had to drive through snow to get there, yet this February you had to go beyond Omalos to look for snow. It shows the difference in weather this year.

Look forward to reading the blog.

Margarita

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:22 pm

Another reason for not going to the refuge!!

I've just looked at your pictures and read the description of the loo - not for me, thank you!! One can have too much fresh air.

Margarita

filippos

Head for heights

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:59 pm

I've been told that when Margarita was on holiday in South Africa just a very few years ago she scrambled up mountain tracks built like very small scale xiloskala steps - about the height of a normal stair tread but only about 50 cm wide - logs pegged in place and backfilled with loose stones.

In places these were no more than about 40 cm from the edges of drops varying from about 80 metres to, maybe, 300 metres. She scampered up these "staircases" about as nimbly as any mountain goat.

Filippos.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:48 pm

Then she'd have no problem with walking up to the refuge I think! Besides, if you walk it it's fine - plenty of space to keep away from the edges.

By the way Margarita - there are 'grounded' indoor toilets too up there. The outdoor one was built for the wow factor I believe!

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Thank goodness for that.

I might go there then.

Margarita

Return to “General Discussion & News”