Tax Documents

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
BrianS

Tax Documents

Postby BrianS » Sun May 25, 2014 7:51 am

A letter from my accountant requests that any foreign tax documents should be certified for the Greek tax year, January 1st to December 31st, which is different from the UK, April 6th to April 5th.

My main document is a P60 End of Year Certificate for the year to 5 April. Has anyone managed to get one changed or issued to coincide with the Greek tax year?

Experience from any recent meetings with accountants appreciated!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 25, 2014 8:38 am

I simply ask my pension providers to issue me with certificates showing pension paid and any UK tax deducted for the period 1 January to 31 December. I explain this is a requirement of the Greek tax authorities and none have objected.

I do the same with bank interest. Most do it without a problem One bank wanted to charge me a huge sum for doing this so I printed off an on-line statement for that bank and told my accountant that if the tax authority wanted anything different they could pay for it. The fee would have been more than the interest.

When I had a full tax audit a few years ago I also asked DWP to do the same thing for my State Pension. They did it but told me to keep my own records in future. I don't usually present anything for the State Pension.

Warwick

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Sun May 25, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks, Warwick, prompt and helpful as always!

kaytee

Postby kaytee » Tue May 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Warwick, you can qualify your last sentence. When you say you don't present your State pensions Do you mean the tax man doesn't know you're are receiving it?
We to ring our pensions providers in January each year to ask for the payments from 1st Jan to 31st Dec. including State pensions all of which we take to our accountant. Are we paying tax on the state pensions when we don't need to!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 27, 2014 1:08 pm

kaytee wrote:Warwick, you can qualify your last sentence. When you say you don't present your State pensions Do you mean the tax man doesn't know you're are receiving it?...

Absolutely not!!! I mean I don't ask DWP for a statement. I simply add up the thirteen payments made into my UK bank, as shown on my bank statements, and give this figure to my accountant. My State Pension is then declared by my accountant. I only ask DWP for a certificate if the Greek tax authorities do a full audit. So far they have only done this once when I was due a large tax refund for medical expenses.

I produce certificates of one form or another for all other pension payments and for all interest payments.

Warwick

kaytee

Postby kaytee » Tue May 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Yes sorry Warwick. I realised my mistake when I re-read your post. Duh! clutching at straws comes to mind.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water ....

I received an email this morning from my accountant, as follows:

"According to the new financial low (sic) that has been voted on 30/05/2014
all the foreign residents who have real income in Greece such as interest on bank deposits , are obliged to submit documents proving that they have been taxed in their country of origin .
So , please you should provide us with
1) a copy of your TAX Assesment
or
2) a copy of your tax return
or
3) a Certification of your residence
that document must be stamped by Hague Apostille Convention.
Please respond as soon as possible."

Anyone else know about this? And do you think "real income in Greece" means the few cents interest paid on a bank account?

[/i]

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Starting from the end - real income in Greece. If it is paid by a Greek bank then it is taxed at source (15%) and can/will be declared on your Greek tax return. This has been the case for Greek tax residents, anyway, so I imagine they are just applying the same rules to non residents.

Knowing your (our) accountant I'd go for option 2 as the simplest, as you declare bank interest net of tax on it!

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi Mixos

Would your (and my) accountant not already have all these details as part of your routine tax affairs?? I can't see anything in that list that my accountant wouldn't have accumulated over the years she's been dealing with me?

Tim

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Tim,
Sending you a pm
Mixos

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:52 pm

When I saw my accountant in March she asked me to bring my P60's to my next appointment. When that came around at the beginning of June, I presented them( no alteration to dates to coincide with the Greek tax year) she was quite happy, however, she went on to tell me that the law had again changed and I required a certificate of tax residence for UK. In addition she had obtained details of my minimal bank account interest to submit on the return.

I completed the application online for the certificate but noted that far more details are now required on the form, length of time in Greece, confirmation of no or any income and a complete address for my house here. Things are tightening up all round, not just in Greece!

Kathleen

Freelancer

Postby Freelancer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi Kathleen,
Would it be possible for you to either post or pm me a link to the form that you are talking about ?

Many thanks
Freelancer

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:17 am

Kathleen wrote:she went on to tell me that the law had again changed and I required a certificate of tax residence for UK

We saw our accountant last week of April and he made no such request.
The meeting lasted about 3 mins and all he wanted to know was `still got the same car ?' and `still live in the same house?'"
Last edited by peebee on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 am

Freelancer ... I will send you a PM with a cut-and-paste guide on how to go about this. A bit pushed for time right now so look in your message box later today and I should have sent it. Mixos

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:38 pm

I don't know if kaytee is still following this thread but I sent you a PM back on 27 May following the exchange higher up the thread. It is still sat in my Outbox.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”