Speed cameras

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:20 pm

I need new pillows so thought it was worth a try. What the 'ell', I'll edit.

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:01 pm

jandis wrote:Just out of interest, has anybody received or heard of anybody receiving a speeding ticket based on one of the cameras? Or are "they" just getting the system up and running and waiting until the end of the main tourist season before starting to use it in earnest and issue tickets?

Yes, my wife !! Well, there was a nice photo of our car, and we could not remember who was driving at that time.

The police were only interested in someone paying up, so she did.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Barbary Coaster wrote:... we could not remember who was driving at that time.... so she did.

Now that's what I call a true gentleman?

Warwick

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Barbary Coaster wrote:... we could not remember who was driving at that time.... so she did.

Now that's what I call a true gentleman?

Warwick

More like a Greek gentleman I thought !
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

jandis

Postby jandis » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks BC, how long after being "caught" did you have to wait before receiving the fine and photo? Was it weeks or within a few days?

jandis

Postby jandis » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:52 am

Answering my own question: according to the police processing of the ticket takes over 6 weeks “as the data sent in to the control centre by the camera needs to be processed and the driver then needs to be identified “! (information today from http://www.apokoronasnews.gr/page10.htm).

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:56 am

Surely you mean "the owner" needs to be identified? Or is Big Brother really watching us?
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

moved 2 crete

speed cameras

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 am

The photograph of the face suggests that the camera takes a picture of the oncoming vehicle, that answers the question , it is the camera facing the traffic not after it has passed the camera which takes only the registration number.
Dave H

Kilkis

Re: speed cameras

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:09 am

moved 2 crete wrote:The photograph of the face suggests that the camera takes a picture of the oncoming vehicle, that answers the question , it is the camera facing the traffic not after it has passed the camera which takes only the registration number.

I'm not sure I understand that comment, Dave? In Crete, and on mainland Greece for that matter, all the cameras I've seen face the rear of the vehicle being measured not the front. How would they get a picture of the face?

Warwick

George

Postby George » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:47 am

In the UK the cameras all take pictures from the rear, but the detail is very impressive. Although the picture is taken from the rear, the view is of the driver as if you were sitting in the back seat. Instantly recognizable as one of my work colleagues found out.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:54 am

George wrote:In the UK the cameras all take pictures from the rear,...

I think there are a lot of front facing cameras now in the UK but not in Greece.

Warwick

moved 2 crete

speed cameras

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:24 pm

jandis`s post implied that the driver or owner needs to be identified, possibly indicating a facial image, hence my comment, identifying a hire car driver carrying rear passengers from a photo of the rear would rely upon the actual driver owning up to it, not withstanding foreign drivers without registered vehicles as we know exist on the roads of Crete. So from the reply`s so far we accept that cameras take the actual speed photo after passing the camera not before.
Dave H

jandis

Postby jandis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Maybe too much is being read into the translation given on the website. Could it not be "lost in translation" and really mean the registered owner of the vehicle - or registered keeper as I seem to remember it being called in the UK? It is then up to them to pay the fine or get to get it paid by the person who was driving at the time. As stated earlier, hire companies will just charge the hirer at the time's credit card.

George

Postby George » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:07 am

Kilkis wrote:
George wrote:In the UK the cameras all take pictures from the rear,...

I think there are a lot of front facing cameras now in the UK but not in Greece.

Warwick

As far as I know the speed cameras are still rear facing. Over here young drivers wanting a "laugh" drive towards a speed camera on the other side of the road, straddle the white line and deliberately set the thing off. Person in the passenger seat does a funny gesture as the cops will get the photo but can't fine them for speeding as the camera is then front facing. The wrath of the bobbies can be brought about in other ways though - just in case anyone fancies trying it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:35 am

The original GATSO cameras, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatso , were always rear facing. More modern cameras can be either front or rear facing and some are even mounted so they can be turned round. For example:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truvelo_Combi :

"The Truvelo camera is usually a front-facing camera (it can also be rear facing)"

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-cam :

"d-cam is a type of digital speed camera produced by the British subsidiary of South African company Truvelo Manufacturers (Pty) Ltd. Testing by Transport for London commenced on the A4 Great West Road in London, in April 2007. The camera does not flash and can be used rear or forward-facing."

You can see images of the GATSO and the Truvelo in the above links which allow you to distinguish between them. I'm not sure if there is a specific design for d-Cam but you can see some images here: http://tinyurl.com/d-Cam-images

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”