Speed cameras

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Rej

Speed cameras

Postby Rej » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 pm

This link from the Apokoronas news gives us a bit more information about the new speed cameras on the national road.

The fines and penalties apparently include points and temporary loss of one's license.

Does anyone know what happens when the offending driver has a UK (DVLA) license - as many of us have.

http://www.apokoronasnews.gr/local/speedcam2.htm

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Comments on the website link make some very fair points about obscured/faded/graffiti-daubed speed limit signs, not to mention the sheer impossibility of driving through the Vrachasi tunnel at 40 kph with the pick-up truck behind trying to climb into the boot... However, we followed a taxi on a stretch of the national road between Ag Nic and Heraklion last week and it slowed right down to the limit at every camera. Such untypical behaviour suggests the taxi drivers might know something... :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm

It's not too difficult. There are usually two speed camera signs fairly close together shortly before each speed camera. The camera is then placed shortly after a reduction in speed limit. Look for the pattern. Two signs followed by speed limit sign, usually 60 kph, followed by camera. Once you get into the swing there is a pretty good chance you can do as well as the taxi drivers.

Warwick

PS The above isn't true everywhere but it seems to be the norm on Crete. On the National Highway from Athens to Thessalonika, for example, there are also cameras on stretches where the limit is 120 kph with no reduction at all. The two sign rule still seems to be obeyed there.

PPS Obviously I don't condone speeding.

Phild

Postby Phild » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

I do wonder why they put cameras on roads, apart from as a money-making exercise - everybody I know (the world over) slows down for cameras, and then speeds up again.

It appears that at the West end of Crete, at least, most drivers have stopped slowing down for the cameras again, so we're left wondering if they know something we don't. Has anyone actually been issued a fine/ticket yet?
----
Phil
----

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 pm

You have answerd your own question ," every body I know ( the world over ) slows down for cameras" ..... That is what they are there for ... to slow down the folk that think they can drive as fast as they like .... jeff..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 pm

From my experience of the mid July to 15 August period they are mostly likely to catch Athenians in big 4 x 4s doing about 150 kph down the National Highway pushing everybody else off the road. Good luck to the camera people I say. Of course, after 15 August they are total ba.......

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:00 am

Jeffstclair wrote:You have answerd your own question ," every body I know ( the world over ) slows down for cameras" ..... That is what they are there for ... to slow down the folk that think they can drive as fast as they like .... jeff..

Well, I'm glad to know it makes such a difference, in safety terms, when people slow down for a 200 metre stretch of road every 20km or so. Obviously, I hadn't realised how significant a safety measure the speed cameras really are.
----

Phil

----

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:01 am

Kilkis wrote:It's not too difficult. There are usually two speed camera signs fairly close together shortly before each speed camera. The camera is then placed shortly after a reduction in speed limit. Look for the pattern. Two signs followed by speed limit sign, usually 60 kph, followed by camera. Once you get into the swing there is a pretty good chance you can do as well as the taxi drivers.

I guess they probably do know something....I defy anyone to follow the two sign rule on the stretch from Istron to Pachia Ammos, though. 80kph prevailing limit switches to 50 and then no more than 10 METRES further on is the camera. The camera signs are some way before this. Sooner or later someone will brake hard and there will be an almighty pile up. At this end of the island "fast" stretches of road are few & far between, so there is obviously a temptation to put the foot down when there is a chance. The placing of cameras coming in to villages makes sense, though (ie Pachia Ammos & Istron), especially where the village concerned is at the bottom of a hill where it is possible to build up momentum.

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 pm

We travelled back to Rethymno from Chania airport late on Tuesday night. For a good chunk of the journey, we followed a local driving a fairly poweful pickup truck. The driver observed the speed limits all the way, even slowing to add a safety margin when passing cameras. We would normally have expected to be passed many times by others keen to "make progress", but hardly anyone did so. It's clear that the cameras are known to be operational, and driving habits seem to have been modified quickly.

As we were returning from a holiday where we had driven quite a lot, we had the car satnav with us. As an experiment, we used it coming back home to see if the unit's speed limits matched the roadsigns. It did, and it was actually quite useful driving along with the satnav display showing our actual speed alongside a graphic of the speed limit. Much easier than looking out for roadsigns faded or obscured by vegetation, especially in the dark. We have Euro mapping, with speed camera notification, but none of the BOAK cameras are in the database. (Although they may be there with an update, I suppose).

Paul

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:54 pm

altohb wrote:...I defy anyone to follow the two sign rule on the stretch from Istron to Pachia Ammos, though...

I've not driven that stretch for many years but in general it's not that difficult.

1 If you see a speed camera sign you immediately start looking for a second camera sign.
2 If you don't see a second camera sign within about 1 km then you switch off and go back to normal driving.
3 If you see a second camera sign in less than say 1 km you immediately start looking for a speed limit sign and the camera itself.
4 If you don't see the speed limit sign and camera within about 1 km then you switch off until you see the next camera sign.
5 Repeat as often as necessary.

From your comment there clearly are signs on the stretch you mention. Check out the distances and I bet they're close to the above description. You will certainly get false positives, i.e. you will get the two signs close together with no camera. That's no big deal. Possibly you slow down for no real reason once in a while. I've yet to experience a false negative, i.e. you never get a camera without the two signs close together preceding it.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 pm

With all this watching for signs and camera,s when concentrating on the road would be better, people slowing down and speeding up again, sure sounds like they have improved safety (my a*se).

moved 2 crete

speed cameras

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a BOAK camera, I know what a speed camera is but not come across the acronym BOAK relating to speed cameras.
Dave H

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Apologies.

It's not a camera type. BOAK is an acronym for the highway in Crete - Βόρειος Οδικός Άξονας Κρήτης.

http://www.ypodomes.com/index.php/autokinitodromoi/uperastikoi/voreios-odikos-axonas-kritis

Paul

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 am

The fairly new camera near the Galatas exit from the National Road is on "your" side of the road as you go West and is hidden behind a large blue road sign. As Warwick says, it preceded by two warning signs. Because of its position, the lenses look to the West and so could only catch the back of vehicles or those coming from the West. From the west there are the two warning signs. I first encountered this camera when I had been overtaken by a 4X4 which I caught up again as it slowed to 60kph until past the juction only for it to dissapear at speed. The traffic going West usually slows to 70kph or less. No such slowing occurs with traffic from the West.

There are no lines across the road so it must be the sort of camera that takes two shots - if, that is, it is working at all. What I am curious about is the range of these cameras. Could it be aimed at oncoming traffic from the West, across the width of the road and with intervening traffic to the West or is it aimed at the backs of vehicl;es going west.

Certainly, the camera slows traffic at a not-very-busy junction and prevents illegal overtaking.

One last point: do cameras pick up speeding motorcycles?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am

As far as I am aware all speed cameras only pick up vehicles on the side of the road where they are mounted. The earlier GATSO types were always mounted rear facing because the double flash of visible light could momentarily blind the driver and cause accidents. The modern ones that use infra-red flash can either be front or rear facing. In the UK many are now front facing so they can distinguish the driver and avoid Huhne/Pryce syndrome. All the Greek ones I've seen are rear facing.

johnincrete wrote:...There are no lines across the road so it must be the sort of camera that takes two shots ...

I'm not sure I understand this? The ones that take two photographs are exactly the ones that need road markings. They use the markings to measure how far you have travelled between the two photographs. It is the ones that use embedded piezoelectric strips that don't need markings and only take one photograph in order to identify the vehicle.

All types of speed camera can measure the speed of motorbikes.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”