Speed cameras

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moved 2 crete

speed cameras

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:21 pm

In the Chania national highway section from Kolimbari to Chania the limit clearly marked is 80. we travel it almost daily.
Dave H

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Took me less than three minutes to find these. Google speed limits in Crete and see for yourselves.

And because you read it on the internet you assume that it is correct?

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 am

I may be wrong but I'm sure there's a stretch of carriageway near Iraklion where the overtaking lane is clearly signed as 120 kph.

Otherwise, the general maximum is 90 unless otherwise signed.

I have a SatNav, which displays the speed limit and it agrees with the signs for more than 50% of the time!

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 am

Jean wrote:
Took me less than three minutes to find these. Google speed limits in Crete and see for yourselves.

And because you read it on the internet you assume that it is correct?

No, I don't, but when I find identical information four different places I assume that chance of it being correct is slightly more than a flip of the coin, don't you?

Rej

Postby Rej » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:47 pm

A long and interesting thread covering a lot of ground.

However, in my original posting I was wondering how the Greek authorities handle the situation when the holder of a UK driving license incurs penalty points or disqualification. Has anybody experienced this situation?

Danny

Postby Danny » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't know what they can do about it Rej but one things for sure is that the Greek authority cannot put points on a UK license because there's no reciprocal agreement between the UK and other EEC states relating to driving offences.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:41 pm

I believe that the EU approved the principle of points being applied in the country where the licence was issued even if the offence occurred in a different EU State. I'm not sure how far they have got with implementation of this. I suspect not very far.

Directive 2011/82/EU set up the procedure for the exchange of information on fines. If somebody with a licence issued by one member state incurs a fine while driving in another member state the authorities in the state where the offence was committed can trace the foreign driver through the issuing countries licensing authority. Ireland, the UK and Denmark opted out of this. Seems funny how they are always complaining about foreign drivers not paying fines in the UK. There were articles in the UK press recently saying how many million pounds had been written off by various UK local authorities. The articles never mention that the UK opted out of the procedure that would have allowed those fines to be collected to save costs.

You can only drive in the UK for up to three years on an EU licence issued by another member state. You then have to get a UK licence. If, during that three year period, you commit offences that incur penalty points, DVLA creates a phantom UK licence linked to the foreign one. When you convert to the UK licence the penalty points incurred while driving on the foreign licence are put on the UK licence. As far as I know that is as far as it has got.

The only time I was stopped for speeding the policeman recorded a speed less than he had measured. I suspect he did this to move the offence into a regime where points were not involved only a fine.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:37 am

I was told by my neighbour who is a policeman that once they see any driving licence that's not Greek their jurisdiction stops regarding applying points to it, seems the most they can do is fine you but will check this again next time I see him and if any different I will post it

Ann McCallum

Postby Ann McCallum » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:30 pm

i have a comment and a couple of questions.

comment... i recently drove to rethymnon from chania paying close attention to speed limits. i found the avg speed seemed to be 60 kph. sometimes 50 kph (very few). i couldnt analyze it completely, but, i didnt seem to find rhyme or reason for the changes in the speeds. there were 80 kph signs as well, but, it seemed to me there were more 60 kph than 80 kph. it was a bit of a nuisance. lots of changes throughout the drive. i felt i had to really concentrate on this speed situation. i did notice everyone else was going equally as slow so i dont think i was off by much, if at all. i was passed very few times.

questions... if you are speeding and get caught on camera, how do they deal with it? is the fine sent to the address that the car is registered to? meaning, the person who owns the car takes responsibility for anyone driving his/her car? do they check every car that passes through these designated areas?

thanks,

ann

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Ann McCallum wrote:...questions... if you are speeding and get caught on camera, how do they deal with it? is the fine sent to the address that the car is registered to? meaning, the person who owns the car takes responsibility for anyone driving his/her car? ...

I don't see how they can do it any other way. Where else could they send it?

Ann McCallum wrote:...questions... do they check every car that passes through these designated areas?...

It depends on the technology being used. The primary radar measurement will detect the speed of every car. The secondary speed measurement system will then measure every car that the radar reports as over the limit by some specified amount. The old film based Gatsos, however, had a limited capacity. Once the film was used up you are in the clear until they change it. Some modern digital ones store the measurements in local memory which somebody has to come out and download. These have a bigger capacity than the film type but will still have to stop measuring when the memory is full. Others have virtually limitless capacity because they download each measurement immediately to some central control. They even tested a completely automatic version in the UK I think. Optical Character Recognition software would get the licence plate number, contact DVLA on line to obtain owners details, raise a ticket and post it off. I don't think these have ever been deployed but it is basically the same technology that is used in police cars to tell the officers whether a car is taxed and insured.

Warwick

PS I need to apologise to Altohb. She said that she defied anybody to avoid the cameras on one particular stretch of road. I said that it was always possible to avoid getting caught by using the two warning signs followed by a speed limit sign followed by the camera as a recognisable pattern. While I stick to my general approach in most cases, she sent me a photograph of the one she was referring to. The camera is exactly 2 m after the speed limit sign! That really is taking the Michael.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Apology accepted, Warwick! In case anyone else is curious...

This is the stretch of road between Istron & Pachia Ammos, one of the few straight stretches between Ag Nik & Sitia.

As outlined earlier in this thread, there are 2 warning signs - in this instance 0.5km apart, then 200m later, you get this:

The prevailing speed limit on that road is 80kph.

Here's hoping that everyone who uses this road has VERY good brakes!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:13 pm

............... or reasonable observational skills so that they spot the sign before they actually reach it. Drivers should enter the speed restricted zone at the designated speed so should be doing 50kph or less (in this instance) as they pass the restriction sign.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:00 pm

A few kilometres after Kalyves, on the way to Haniá, there's a camera completely hidden behind bushes at the start of a layby on a steep uphill stretch. There's a 50 limit sign after it at the far end of the layby.
I'd be interested to know what limit applies at the camera position? The only one I can recall seeing is a 70 sign before the Kalyves junction.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:38 pm

filippos wrote:............... or reasonable observational skills so that they spot the sign before they actually reach it. Drivers should enter the speed restricted zone at the designated speed so should be doing 50kph or less (in this instance) as they pass the restriction sign.

This is the first indication of the 50kph limit! There are signs warning that there is a camera ahead (as I said) but the limit up to that point is 80kph, and the camera could be there to enforce that limit. Obviously there is time to slow down provided you are looking ahead sufficiently, but you could, legally, be doing 80kph until you are at the sign shown. Most people who live in the area will be aware and act accordingly, but I pity the visitors!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:56 pm

altohb wrote: but I pity the visitors!
Why? They simply need to be paying attention. At least that sign is clearly visible and not yet
hidden behind bushes.

Return to “General Discussion & News”