Speed cameras

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:45 am

The visitors are the lucky ones because the guys who will receive the fines are the registered owners of the car, not sure how the car rental firms will get round this

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:29 am

SatCure wrote:A few kilometres after Kalyves, on the way to Haniá, there's a camera completely hidden behind bushes at the start of a layby on a steep uphill stretch. There's a 50 limit sign after it at the far end of the layby.
I'd be interested to know what limit applies at the camera position? The only one I can recall seeing is a 70 sign before the Kalyves junction.

Martin. So far I have treated it as 80iph, with the 50 limit at the far end being because of the bend in the road. The 50 is probably far enough away from the camera to be blocked by following traffic. Joining as I do at Kalyves, I have not seen a 70kph sign before the junction, but maybe that is for the junction itself? If I get a letter in the post, I will tell you! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 am

I'm safe, then. My car won't do 80 up that hill! :oops:

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:15 am

Most of the Car Hire firms now only deal with credit cards & not cash payments for their cars. If you get a parking ticket ( which you have ignored), speeding fine etc the Car Hire firm WILL charge it to your credit card.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:02 pm

True. Even if you pay cash they will take your credit card details for precisely that reason.

Tim

jandis

Postby jandis » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 pm

Just out of interest, has anybody received or heard of anybody receiving a speeding ticket based on one of the cameras? Or are "they" just getting the system up and running and waiting until the end of the main tourist season before starting to use it in earnest and issue tickets?

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:36 pm

jandis wrote:Just out of interest, has anybody received or heard of anybody receiving a speeding ticket based on one of the cameras? Or are "they" just getting the system up and running and waiting until the end of the main tourist season before starting to use it in earnest and issue tickets?

Δεν το χέρω
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:51 pm

altohb wrote:This is the stretch of road between Istron & Pachia Ammos, one of the few straight stretches between Ag Nik & Sitia.

As outlined earlier in this thread, there are 2 warning signs - in this instance 0.5km apart, then 200m later, you get this:

The prevailing speed limit on that road is 80kph.

Here's hoping that everyone who uses this road has VERY good brakes!

No need to worry about this one! If you had taken the picture from the other side you would see that it has been executed with a single bullet hole in the lens!

Worse than this example is the one at the top of the hill as you enter Pachia Ammos from Ierapetra. The 50 limit sign is the other side of the camera and obscured by it! If you don't know it is there you stand no chance unless you have x-ray vision.

John

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm

I had been wondering how long it would be before it got shot out AGAIN!

Don't often use the Ierapetra/Pachia Ammos road, so thanks for the warning, John.

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 pm

Ros21 wrote:Most of the Car Hire firms now only deal with credit cards & not cash payments for their cars. If you get a parking ticket ( which you have ignored), speeding fine etc the Car Hire firm WILL charge it to your credit card.

Having just made a reservation for a rental car in Chania and having been in contact with five different companies, my experience is that they seem to prefer cash payment and ask for an extra charge of 3% if you (I) pay with a credit card.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Quite. I got mugged on my last but one visit to the island. Having agreed via the online booking form and printed-off confirmation that I would pay by credit card, the car hire guy demanded cash on the spot when I picked up the car. When I politely demurred he insisted, then threatened me with a 7% surcharge and a shrug that suggested that it was past midnight and I had a 2 hour drive ahead. I paid up.

No names, no pack-drill.

Tim

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 am

has anybody received or heard of anybody receiving a speeding ticket based on one of the cameras?

Nobody? Do all expats drive legally along the National Highway? Personally, as I get older, the slower I drive - is this why nobody has been caught?

Does anyone know a Greek driver who has been caught?

Anyone know anyone who knows someone in the police force who can offer a definitive answer?

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:05 am

as I get older, the slower I drive - is this why nobody has been caught?

No. Absolutely not.

In a previous discussion about speed limits on the ethniki (see archives) I remember a couple of posters telling us just how quickly they reckon to be able to get from, for example, Kalives to Heraklion.

Naming no names, but they know who they are and I am am sure they are still doing the Formula One bit when they think no-one's looking. And they are now even more old enough to know better!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:12 pm

I've had to slow down. St. Chris has become so fat that 'Er Indoors can't hide with him under the rear seat, and I can't cope with 'er screamin' all the time.

(Also, I've forgotten the location of Heraklion.)
Last edited by filippos on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm

filippos wrote: I've had to sow down.

Why are you planting feathers? They won't grow you know!

John

Return to “General Discussion & News”