Mistaken Identity

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Mistaken Identity

Postby Carolina » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:16 pm

It seems that bic admin have attacked one of their members who they thought was me.

So, just to put the record straight:

My site had exchanged website links with this site at the previous owner’s request. After the change of ownership my link disappeared from their site at some point & when I realised this had happened I emailed them to ask if this was intentional and if so I would remove their link from my site too.

I never received a reply.

Then a couple of weeks later, when I set up this forum in January I received an email from them asking “Will you permit me to make a post on your web site when I have an announcement of interest to the wider Crete community?”

My reply was that the wider Crete community benefits from all the information they can lay their hands on - which includes both of our websites and that in this respect I had contacted them a few weeks ago regarding their removal of the exchange link.
I would extend them the same courtesy that they had extended me by allowing a posting about my book (made two months previously) to remain on their site, under a forum section called ‘self promotion’, and that incidently, bic is listed in my book under 'useful websites' . “I welcome items of interest to the Crete community in general. An announcement of interest on my site with a link or signature is OK, but not, as I'm sure you’ll understand, continual announcements with the sole intention of promoting your website and forum.’

So there you have my ‘ground rules’. Pretty fair … yes / no ?

The reply?
“I regard your post as outright self promotion.( ) You are not welcome to promote your site on bic anymore. I have no agreement to promote your site or other assets, nor will do so”
Huh??

Now, they have the right to run their own site as they wish, but talk about distasteful and egomaniacal.

P.S I'm off to scribble out a certain website address on all copies of the book now. Lucky I'm getting a re-print soon!

Jean

Stupidity knows no bounds

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 am

Distasteful and egomaniacal seems like an apt description for this new owner. You might as well erase your links as he will run his site into the ground.

daveg

Postby daveg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:20 pm

Agree entirely I suppose its common knowledge that i was banned fron bic for my "arrogant" behaviour :o
My crime? i answered a question from another member but hadn't yet got round to removing my signature on the reply.
Panagia moo! how awful of me 8)
But i think a few of the "old hands" may have found a new home :wink:
DaveG

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:08 pm

No second chance for you then Dave, po po

Yes it's good to see a few 'old hands' again, and I'd like to encourage some of the new members to post too :P

Jean

Spammy sigs

Postby Jean » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:31 pm

But DaveG, with 3 URLs in your signature maybe you ought to be banned on this forum too.
On the other hand....Caroline, is it alright if I add a dozen or so URLs to my signature? Or will you ban me (and DaveG of course)?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:59 pm

OK Jean you have a point - that is if everyone added 3 or more URL's the board would be soon be full of 'noise'.

So new rule number 1 - just one URL in signatures please. I've re-done the board settings so new posts shouldn't allow long signatures.

Jean

Sad

Postby Jean » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:04 pm

Eipame... you can't now in the signature. If you add them in a line you may well get censored :evil: . There is always the question of how much is too much, and I'll step in if need be.

Jean

Stepping

Postby Jean » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:06 pm

OK, I'll step very carefully...don't want you stepping in ;-)

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:54 pm

oh I don't know Jean if she was wearing really pointy patent leather stilettos she could step in anytime... :wink:

perhaps that was overstepping the mark ....go on tell me off Carol...please tell me off...pretty please.....

ooooop's sorry wrong forum....... :oops:

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:13 pm

just wait till the next time you come round to fix my pc Paul - you'll be sorry 8). Who let you out of the other forum anyway? - now get back there.

daveg

Postby daveg » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:55 pm

Happy now Jean? :roll:

Thanks for the nice PM Carol i have altered my settings acordingly :)
DaveG

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:44 pm

No, not really happy because I can't put all my URLs either! But I'll survive.

Kinda

Postby Kinda » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm another banned from BIC but re-engineered myself as KindaII. What was a small spat seemed to get out of hand and while I kissed and made up with Geoff I haven't posted there for some time now as the new owner seems to adopt a high handed and dictatorial approach.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Welcome Kinda. Yes I've followed some of the goings on there :wink:

Return to “General Discussion & News”