ELECTRICITY COSTS

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
nigelnw

ELECTRICITY COSTS

Postby nigelnw » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Can anyone clarify the current DEI charges for electricity per kWh. We are renting a two bed apartment whilst our own house is being built. We have a meter and we give the reading to our landlord. All we receive from him is a scrap of paper with the amount due. Somehow, I feel he is "selling" it to us at a very high rate. I have looked at the DEI website, but it refers to single phase, triple phase, low, medium and high voltage!! :?

altohb

Electricity charges

Postby altohb » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Looking at the last DEI bill for which we had a breakdown of charges, we had the following:

First 800 units @ .07623 per unit
Next 800 units @ .09713 per unit
Next 400 units @ .11295 and extras above that at .15949

Hope this helps. If you are reading the meter yourself you will soon see where you are. Our problem with DEI is that they've never been to read the meter, so I just read it myself each time we get a bill, and then go into the office and get them to enter the real reading! I know that alternate bills are estimated anyway, but we just like to keep on top of it and not end up owing them huge amounts of money.

altohb

nigelnw

Postby nigelnw » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks for the info. As I thought, seems like we are being overcharged. :x We are using 35 /40 units per week. We have been asked to pay 140 Euros, covering mid November to Mid January! :shock:
Many thanks for the info.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Remember that the costs quoted do not include VAT, local taxes and TV license (which you pay with your DEH bill regardless of whether you have a TV or not).
Still, Euro 140 for two months in a two beds apartment SEEMS high so I suggest you query it politely with your landlord and ask them if there might have been a mistake (unintentional of course) in their calculation.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:03 pm

I think that, like the UK, energy charges in Greece are changing rapidly, mostly upwards. Our latest bill, received a few days ago and due for payment on Wednesday, shows the following charges:

First 840 units 0.08005 Euro per unit
Next 840 units 0.10200 Euro per unit
Next 420 units 0.12521 Euro per unit
Next ??? units 0.16741 Euro per unit

These figures are quite a bit higher than those posted by altohb.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am

You could ask to see the DEI bill, although you need to know what you are reading. If you have a meter there is probably a bill for that one meter.

Agree with Jean that you should be tactful about it though - there's nothing worse than fighting with a landlord or making an enemy of them even if you are in the right.

Meters are only read by DEI every 4 months, while bills are issued every 2 months. So every second bill is an 'enanti' which is an estimation of usage from DEI based on the previous year for the same two month period, plus taxes and TV charges (as a very general guide these extra charges are usually around 20 to 25 euros per 2 months, but vary according to the size of the property and the Dimos. Also add on 9% tax to the total unit costs).

When you receive the 'ekkatharistiko' - final bill for 4 month period -any adjustments are made.

So there is a possibility that someone who lived in your apartment last year had high consumption and an 'enanti' bill would be based on that.
There's also the possibility that, if the bill is final (ekkatharistikos) and only for your apartment, that there is a previous tenant's usage on it (e.g the 'enanti' hadn't been paid). You'd have to check the meter reading on the bill.

Tricky one!

Return to “General Discussion & News”