large dog moving to Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Brian c

large dog moving to Crete

Postby Brian c » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:18 am

I have been on these forums for a few years now with the dream of moving to Crete permanently.
We finally retired and were presented with a few unavoidable set backs (I wont bore you with the details).
Now at last we are looking to make a move but, we now have a big shy dog (German Shepherd) and will be bringing her with us.
You cant just turn your back on an animal that puts its trust in you, plus we love her dearly.
Can anyone give any advice on looking after a dog on Crete.
I must be honest the stories I hear of poisonings has made me very wary of the move to the point where I even considered moving to Spain. Unfortunately they have quite a few laws/rules i.e permanent muzzles on dogs over 20kg etc and my heart isn't in a move there anyway because its lies in Crete.
We have spent a lot of time over the years around the Agios Nikolaos area and never see stray dogs and in the last few years are seeing more and more Greeks with small dogs which is a promising sign.

Any advice would be appreciated ....regarding the dog, travel advice etc. I think I have got most other things covered.
Thanks in advance for any replies

p.s. we also have a cat which is 15 years old but the dog is 2 years old. :D
dont sweat the small things

BST

Postby BST » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:45 am

Might be helpful if you could give an idea if you are moving to Ag Nik area or another part of island for specific advice about vets etc…..

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:48 am

You may find this page useful.

It was compiled on the basis of taking pets from Crete but almost all the information applies equally whichever your direction of travel

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 am

I think things might have changed a bit since you posted the advice page, Filippos. The ports suddenly got very tight on allowing pets to exit the country. A friend who took some dogs back to the UK earlier this year had to take all the documentation issued by the vet to a municipal vet and get additional paperwork issued. I'm not sure of the details but it took several days and several visits.

Also make sure absolutely everything on the paperwork is completed. In my friend's case the vet had filled in the date when the rabies vaccination was administered and the vaccine certificate was attached showing that the vaccination was valid for one year minus one day, as I believe they all are. He didn't however fill in that expiry date in the box on the form. My friend was refused boarding on the channel crossing.

It's no good just dotting all the "i"s and crossing all the "t"s. You now need to dot and cross every letter in the alphabet.

Warwick

Hameziman

Dogs to Crete

Postby Hameziman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:40 am

We travel every year, by car, to Crete. Landing by ferry in Iraklio. We always bring our dog with us. He has a valid passport (rabies jab every TWO years by the way) He has never been checked coming into Crete but is always checked returning to the UK. Local vet in Sitia supervises his jabs for return journey and ferry company checks passport and presence of his micro chip.

We have flown him before now but not a good idea. Iraklio freight arrivals "lost him" and bureaucracy is mind bending. Better to let him enjoy the ride!

He's now nine years old and has been coming and going for all of those years. He originates from an olive grove in Hamezi where we found him at about three months old abandoned and chained to a bush. He's the son I never had!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Kilkis wrote:The ports suddenly got very tight on allowing pets to exit the country. A friend who took some dogs back to the UK earlier this year had to take all the documentation issued by the vet to a municipal vet and get additional paperwork issued.
This seems to happen from time to time. A friend has made several journeys taking people and
their pets to UK. Usually the people have experienced no more than the 'standard' runaround whilst one or two have needed to jump through extra hoops and scale walls.

Also make sure absolutely everything on the paperwork is completed. In my friend's case the vet had filled in the date when the rabies vaccination .............. . He didn't however fill in that expiry date in the box on the form. My friend was refused boarding on the channel crossing.
An almost identical situation (an incorrect date had been inserted) is related in the pdf file (downloadable from the site), the content of which was provided by a couple who had made the journey and needed to go vet hunting in Calais.

P.S. Whatever, I'm not amending the site as it's being discontinued at season's end.

JWugg

Poisoning

Postby JWugg » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Don't NOT come because of the fear of poisoning & I say this as someone whose dogs were poisoned a few years ago - 1 died, the other survived thanks to a very fast drive to my vet. It does happen but it is rare. If you have your dog in your control (& I'm guessing that a large GSD would be well controlled), then you shouldn't have a problem.

Get a good vet once you're here, who will give you an emetic & needle - which can buy you time to get to the vet in the event of poisoning.

if you're living in a village environment, make sure your dog isn't barking incessantly & can't go off chasing sheep/ goats & make sure your Greek neighbours see this, so you don't make 'enemies' for the animal, as large dogs can be viewed with some fear here, although a good GSD type dog is often a prized possession by shepherds.

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Sent you a PM.

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Very many thanks for so many quick and informative replies.
We would be intending to stay in the Agios Nikolaos area and I still haven't made my mind up ref fly or drive with the dogs welfare in mind., personally I dont fancy that drive.

It will take me a while to process so many good tips and information
thanks again for replies.

You know its funny and a lot of you will have been where I am now.
When I was working life was so simple, get up in the morning, go to work come home, have dinner in or out, settle down for some tv or internet, bath and go to bed. Now that we are retired I dont know where I got the time to work and its not that I have a lot of hobbies ??

panostalos

Postby panostalos » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Cant see why you don't fancy the drive. Its easy, plan, take your time and enjoy some great roads and scenery. Have done it a number of times and really enjoy the freedom of little traffic. Friendly people and for a change clean helpful service stations/stops.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Go along with that. Our first road trip was 2004 from Crete. From Ancona went up Italian east coast then cut across to Alessandria for an overnight stop. Next day over the Italian/French Alps before a 10 days saunter to Calais, stopping overnight in French villages or small towns when we fancied the look of them.

Often stopped around 4:30, freshened up then strolled round to find somewhere to eat. Next morning took another look around before hitting the road at, maybe 11:00. Three days in Paris then headed north, taking 2-3 days to the Channel. Very relaxing and enjoyable.

We avoided the toll roads, preferring the almost empty main roads that run more or less parallel with the M-ways: easy to find little cafés and restaurants. What's not to enjoy?

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:38 pm

OK I'm still learning but my understanding is with the dogs jags etc I need to do the journey within 5 days .... possibly more research required?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 pm

It's only five days from getting the worming to entering Greece not to arriving in Crete. That's not a problem. If you really want to you can leave the UK and be on the ferry to Greece in two days. In any case, if the worst came to the worst, you would only need to find a vet near the port in Italy, administer another dose of worming and then wait 24 hours, so not such a big deal.

Warwick

Hameziman

Postby Hameziman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:54 am

As I wrote earlier. We have never been checked by any one bringing our dog into Greece.; only returning to UK where worming is checked. I don't think "tick" treatment is mandatory now either. Our Sitia vet administers the worming treatment the day we leave which gives us ample time to get to Calais where the dog's chip and passport is checked. You have five days between the time of administering to time of embarkation in Calais - not arrival in Dover. Certainly not checked on exiting Greece on the way home and never on the way out. Look at the DEFRA site for up to date regs. It is certainly worth having the chip checked just before you leave UK as they can migrate to other parts of the body - no evidence of a chip and the whole procedure begins again. Only one month to wait now for rabies antibodies to show - not the six months it once was. That's one month after the test result is to hand I believe. Always best to check with DEFRA. We've been doing this now for nine years and will say again - never checked by any authority on the way out, but it's mandatory on the way back.

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Hello Brian, I have sent you a p.m.

Maud.

Return to “General Discussion & News”