Post-office on Akrotiri

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jean

Post-office on Akrotiri

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:53 pm

I should know this I guess but I don't use post-offices much these days: is there a post-office anywhere on Akrotiri or do I have to go to Chania?

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:28 pm

Jean,

I'm afraid it's a trip to Chania. There was one in Kounoupidiana last year but it closed.

Jon

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:32 pm

I don't know but is there one in Souda? If there is it would avoid the hassle of Xania traffic.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:25 pm

I think there is one in Souda next to Champion, opposite George the vet. Not 100 % sure.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:45 pm

I think you're right. 'Er Indoors is more observant than I am and says, "If it's not absolutely next door it's very close."

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Yes, I know there is one in Souda. There have also been a couple of shops in Kounoupidiana acting as post-offices in the past but not since early last year.
I thought that I might have missed a new post-office somewhere (I hadn't realized until last week that there was a KEP office in Kounoupidinana so I may not be the most observant person around) since the municipality is the second largest (after Chania) in the prefecture of Chania. Strange that they don't deem a post-office necessary.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:23 pm

The 'Posto' cafe acted as a post office for years. Suddenly last year (or so) the shop opposite the university had a huge post office sign up and was acting as a kind of sub post office. All the mail for the whole of Akrotiri then went there (I asked in Hania a couple of times for lost mail and they told me it was all sent to this shop for Akrotiri, it was then sorted and the postmen took it from there. Also parcels were kept there to be collected, not in Hania).

It was a complete shambles. The guy who had the shop/PO didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing. I had two or three important letters which were very delayed and went to check numerous times at the shop to see if there was any trace of them. Each time he threw up his arms in despair and pointed to a huge heap of letters just sitting on the floor at the back of the shop waiting to be sorted!

Within a few months it was closed down - thank god! We got our normal service back, direct from Hania PO. In the meantime the Posto cafe had closed their postal corner.

I'm in no hurry for another post office to open in Akrotiri, Souda is just fine.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 am

The guy who had the shop/PO didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing.

I was there a couple of times too looking for stuff. They were nice people though and once they knew who I was they managed to deliver my mail to my address. Then, as you said Caroline, it all went back to Chania but the (former) regular postman had been assigned to somewhere else so there was no one to deliver for a while and I used to go and get my important stuff directly from the PO in Chania (going to search the Kalathas shelf on the first floor at Anapapseo St). At the moment it seems to be back to normal...mails from "Europe" get here after 3 days to 3 weeks.

Return to “General Discussion & News”