Renewal Of IKA Book

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Al

Renewal Of IKA Book

Postby Al » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Somewhere - quite possibly on this very forum - I have read that IKA books can be renewed at the local KEP. (!!!) Are any of you smart people out there able to confirm or deny this - or do I have to go to IKA at 6 in the morning and queue for 5 hours like last year?

filippos

Re: Renewal Of IKA Book

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:58 am

We've renewed ours through KEP offices for at least three years. You do give up your book for around three weeks though.

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:16 am

What paper work do you need to take to the KEP office form them to do this ?

Al

Postby Al » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks, Filippos! Don't mind being without the book for a wee while. Would the lovely ladies in Kalives be able to do this?

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:35 pm

I believe so. They had to stop a couple of years ago because the IKA courier service was withdrawn due to lack of demand here. However we do know people who have been able, recently, to renew their books through Kalyves KEP.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:36 pm

filippos wrote:I believe so. They had to stop a couple of years ago because the IKA courier service was withdrawn due to lack of demand here. However we do know people who have been able, more recently, to renew their books through Kalyves KEP.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Went into KEP in Kalyves today. After the usual pleasantries, I said 'If I bring my ..." and then hesitated slightly at which the 3 ladies in their chorused 'My IKA book" ................ ! Upshot is that although they think it a bit premature, yes, they will send off the book. Said I needed to take Passport and residency permit as supporting documentation. Will get it organised next week. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Al

Postby Al » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:04 am

Did the same. Next month I was told and bring E1 Tax return as well. Seems a good deal to me!!

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:31 am

Tip.....pick one of the worst mornings of the winter....wind, hail and snow, IKA was open but there was only one other person renewing their IKA book and I was in and out in 10 minutes. The same thing happened at the doctor's office. Agios Nikolaos was very quiet.
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

Rej

Postby Rej » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Only whimps do it through KEP !! :wink:

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:43 am

Or people who have the common sense not to sit hours at the IKA office.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:10 am

Three of us went down to the IKA office on Souda Road today at about 8:30. All tickets gone. Met friend there who had gone down at 7:30. Apparently all tickets were issued by 8:05.

We then went to KEP not far from IKA. It is a few hundred metres up the road to the right hand side of the IN.KA supermarket just off the Souda Road at the traffic lights slightly closer to Chania than the IKA building. We were seen immediately. It took about 30 minutes to log all the details for four books. We were all given a stamped receipt and told we could get medical treatment using that up to 28 February when the books would have run out. The renewed books should be returned by then but it could take four or five weeks so, if you intend using KEP, it is worth not leaving it until the last minute. Very friendly and helpful service. The people in that office are permanent staff so it shouldn't get closed down with any luck.

As well as the book and a passport they also needed to know your tax number, father and mothers full names and a contact phone number, preferably mobile. Most Greeks' books are now renewed on-line so the lady checked if ours could be done that way but they couldn't.

In previous years I have always renewed the book myself at IKA. Call me a whimp if you like but I know what I'll be doing next year.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:42 pm

Interesting requirements Warwick. We went to the Kalyves KEP on Monday. They faffed about for a short time and then it emerged that IKA had told them the previous week to 'telephone on Monday to get the new rules'. The upshot was that no-one answered the phone so we were advised to go back (to Kalyves) tomorrow when the situation might be clearer. We will take our tax numbers with us. Thanks.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Bob, we went to Kalyves KEP this morning where everything went pretty smoothly apart from a brief interlude to allow the staff to attend the blessing of the office for 2015 and another brief interlude while the only clerk remaining on duty attended to someone paying a water bill.

We had previously been advised to take with IKA book:
Passport
Residence Permit
AFM numbers (we took copy documents)
If your existing AMKA number is not entered in your book you will need to tell them what it is.

We had to sign one document each and were given copies. We were also given photo copies of the ID page of the book and the stapled in paper headed "ΑΣΦΑΛΙΣΤΙΚΗ ΙΚΑΝΟΤΗΤΑ ΓΙΑΠΑΡΟΧΕΣ ΣΕ ΕΙΔΟΣ" which can be used for IKA purposes until 28 February (i.e. until the current book expires)

The whole process would have taken about 10-15 minutes without the interruptions caused by the priest and the bill payer.

We were told yesterday that the time needed to renew books through KEP (three weeks with luck and following wind) is because the woman who used to deal with them at the IKA office - Vicky - is now the only person dealing with renewals by foreigners in the area covered by the Xania office. Apparently, she also has other areas of responsibility in that office and her work on renewals is constantly interrupted.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:27 pm

filippos wrote:...We were also given photo copies of the ID page of the book and the stapled in paper headed "ΑΣΦΑΛΙΣΤΙΚΗ ΙΚΑΝΟΤΗΤΑ ΓΙΑΠΑΡΟΧΕΣ ΣΕ ΕΙΔΟΣ" which can be used for IKA purposes until 28 February (i.e. until the current book expires)...

We weren't given any photocopies of the book or its contents. Just the receipt with the AMKA number written on it.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”