Renewal Of IKA Book

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
margarita

Re: Renewal Of IKA Book

Postby margarita » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Al wrote:Somewhere - quite possibly on this very forum - I have read that IKA books can be renewed at the local KEP. (!!!) Are any of you smart people out there able to confirm or deny this - or do I have to go to IKA at 6 in the morning and queue for 5 hours like last year?

We were told in Kalyves KEP office that Greek IKA books (or whatever Greek people have to show their entitlement to IKA) are renewed automatically but people can go online to check that it has been updated.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 pm

The clerk in Kalyves KEP was most insistent that we had copies.

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:29 pm

OK - here are the rules for THIS week or maybe it's just for Fridays.

Went to KEP office in Kalyves on my own with both our books - no queue, this will be quick I thought.
Sat down and handed over required? paperwork - everything in perfect order I hoped- yes, paperwork was fine but our books don't expire until end of Feb so I was too early, "come back in a few weeks".

Undeterred by this, and as it was a nice day for a motorcycle ride, I headed off in the direction of Souda.

Went to the KEP office that I knew, near the junction from the national road and the road to the airport.

No queue again, lucky day I thought - but no. "You will have to go to the IKA office this year, it can't be done through KEP"

Oh well, 3rd time lucky I thought - off to the one that Warwick suggested, found it and again, no-one else in there - joy.
Success ???? no, apparently I can't renew them because I am the dependent, need to get wifey who is the principle to do it.
But I did it on my own at IKA office last year I told her - "no, it has to be the principle making the application".
I told her that the lady in the other office in Souda said that KEP couldn't do it this year anyway, she said "no, that's only for Greeks".

I will return to Kalyves office an a couple of weeks, ON MY OWN again, to see how many different permutations I can cover -stay tuned folks.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:26 pm

The only problem with waiting until later is the time scale involved. We were told perhaps four or five weeks. They weren't sure. They send it to IKA and IKA do it when they feel like it. The receipt they give you is only valid up to the date the existing book runs out. Thus, if you leave it too late you could finish up with a period with no cover. Just a thought.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Kilkis wrote:........ They send it to IKA and IKA do it when they feel like it. .........
As I posted yesterday, "........ the woman who used to deal with them at the IKA office - Vicky - is now the only person dealing with renewals by foreigners in the area covered by the Xania office. Apparently, she also has other areas of responsibility in that office and her work on renewals is constantly interrupted."

Having met Vicky a few times I think she'd prefer to clear as many renewals as possible as quickly as possible rather than when she feels like it. In the days when her only task at renewal time was dealing with the foreigners people were dealt with pretty quickly. I think that was stopped because, ironically,there were so many complaints from Greek folks about queue jumping.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Not my words. I was simply quoting what KEP said.

My point was not to complain about IKA. My point was to point out to people that if they wait until close to the 28 February and it does take four or five weeks then they have no proof of medical cover for those weeks.

Warwick

Mandraek

Postby Mandraek » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Vryses KEP 12/01/15
As dependent renewal accepted requiring tax return, both passports (photocopied) and both IKA books and dependents signature x2
Warned it could take upto 4 weeks

Waited less than 5 minutes to be seen, will ring me when books are returned

also as noted in previous posts dependents father & mothers names and amka no.s

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:07 am

Went to KEP in Kalyves yesterday and paperwork for both books done and dusted in about 10 minutes (which included a couple of interruptions to deal with other clients!). Passport, Residence Permit both photocopied and kept, as well as front page of IKA booklet. No problems although Argentina (nice lady) told us it could be 3 weeks. We got nothing to take away with us. No problem - we have records of AMKA numbers etc for use in emergencies.

BTW - I enjoy going to KEP, they are very helpful, and I have no aspiration to be a whimp; er, wait a minute, I think that whimp without aspiration is in reality a wimp - got the right spelling at last!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Al

Postby Al » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:34 pm

I find myself proud to be a pious and practising wimp!!

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:12 pm

I have just heard that the KEP in Chania Town Hall (near the bus station) will accept IKA books for renewal. My friend took all his "official" stuff and all was ignored (although the lady did point out that since the parent of both my friend and his wife was the same on one document, they were, in the eyes of Greek tax officials, brother and sister!). Just like the KEP in the court square, no documentation is needed - but I would still take it just in case!

An interesting point: the majority of the customers of KEP are non-Greeks. Since KEP is consistently good, I wonder why the Greeks don't use it more.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:19 pm

johnincrete wrote:...An interesting point: the majority of the customers of KEP are non-Greeks. Since KEP is consistently good, I wonder why the Greeks don't use it more.

I've mostly seen Greeks using KEP. Where did that information come from, John?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Kilkis wrote:I've mostly seen Greeks using KEP. Where did that information come from, John?
I haven't seen any Greeks renewing IKA at KEP offices in the four years we've being doing so. (That's at the Courthouse office, Souda and Kalyves). Perhaps that's because, apart from the Courthouse, they're small, relatively remote offices that we've been to in late morning. We get up later than most Greeks round here.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:58 pm

filippos wrote:
Kilkis wrote:I've mostly seen Greeks using KEP. Where did that information come from, John?
I haven't seen any Greeks renewing IKA at KEP offices in the four years we've being doing so. (That's at the Courthouse office, Souda and Kalyves). Perhaps that's because, apart from the Courthouse, they're small, relatively remote offices that we've been to in late morning. We get up later than most Greeks round here.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Me too Phil. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Renewing IKA books is a very minor part of KEP's activities. John's comment was, "...the majority of the customers of KEP are non-Greeks. Since KEP is consistently good, I wonder why the Greeks don't use it more." This seems to imply Greeks are hardly using KEP at all, nothing to do with IKA renewal. Whenever I have been in a KEP office every other customer apart from me has been Greek. Other than when a few of us have gone together to renew the IKA books I have never seen a non-Greek in KEP. Hence why I asked where John's information came from.

Warwick

Mandraek

Postby Mandraek » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:36 am

KEP sent off IKA books great help got the receipt but we went to the IKA doctor he could not do our monthly prescriptions it was blocked?

Is this because the books are being updated?

Any help appreciated

Return to “General Discussion & News”