Are You Getting Parcels Through?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Paleo

Are You Getting Parcels Through?

Postby Paleo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:18 am

Just wanted to check and see if this is a problem that just I am experiencing, whether it is just where I live or if it is a wider problem.

I am experiencing massive delays in inter-EU parcels arriving. These are sent normal post and to a recognised address with phone number(so if the parcel is handed off to a third party courier it will still get delivered).

One was sent on 27th Dec and the other on the 4th Jan. Neither have showed up.

Anyone else having this issue of late or anyone know if it is a wider problem?

Kilkis

Re: Are You Getting Parcels Through?

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:41 am

I had a parcel sent by simple Royal Mail from the UK on 22 December that still hasn't arrived. I contacted the sender and they said that they had had a lot of parcels go missing over the Christmas period and have now sent a replacement. I've not received that yet.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:48 am

I am waiting for a parcel which was despatched 2nd January. Another sent around the same date arrived a week ago.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:27 am

Me too. A couple of things did arrive but very late, and I'm still awaiting one posted January 2. Possibly because of the holidays and bad weather here, but something seems definitely to be affecting the mail.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am

On Tuesday (20th) I received a package dispatched from the UK on Jan 8th. I've also received a couple of other small packages during the last 10 days but can't recall exactly when they were dispatched: certainly during January, though.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:37 pm

If you have smallish parcels you want desperately, i'm travelling to Crete late Feb/early March in an estate.

Looking to cover some costs but not make a fortune.....

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:03 am

Got the one I was waiting for yesterday - just a small packet, but took from 2 January posting in UK. Still waiting for some Christmas cards!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:29 pm

I've just had a large parcel from the UK. Despatched on 9th January, arrived at my local ELTA on 23rd.

Interesting to note that this was an Amazon order that was sent by DHL across Europe, according to the tracking info I had. When it reached Athens it was transferred to ELTA. Based on other deliveries of my own, and comments from friends, I have the impression that the use of Greek courier companies for parcels arriving from abroad is being reduced. I may be wrong.

Personally, I prefer the slightly more predictable service from ELTA rather than the couriers.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:04 pm

I think DHL is now really Deutsche Post DHL. If a parcel is sent through the Deutsche Post part of the service then I think it comes through ELTA. If it is shipped through the DHL part of the business then it comes by DHL courier service. In either case the label would probably have some DHL branding on it. I could be wrong but that is my experience in the past.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:16 pm

YoMo2 wrote:I've just had a large parcel from the UK. ............. Personally, I prefer the slightly more predictable service from ELTA rather than the couriers.

I've been lucky: no problem with deliveries by either ELTA or various couriers including, UPS, ACS, DHL & DPD (of whom I hadn't until this month) nor with deliveries first handled by Royal Mail.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 am

I'm waiting for about seven packages in all. One from December 4th. They have been taking typically 6 weeks to arrive!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think DHL is now really Deutsche Post DHL. If a parcel is sent through the Deutsche Post part of the service then I think it comes through ELTA. If it is shipped through the DHL part of the business then it comes by DHL courier service. In either case the label would probably have some DHL branding on it. I could be wrong but that is my experience in the past.

OK, bit confusing, but I can see the distinction. It was definitely Deutsche Post responsible so that tallies.

I have nothing against courier deliveries. Brilliant in many ways, but it's just a bit of a pain sometimes because when they phone you, it's normally because they are 30 minutes away and want you to meet them somewhere. Not always convenient.

With ELTA I get a slip in my post box in the village, and then pop in to the Post Office at Neapoli at my convenience to collect. May take longer, but more manageable.

Where courier deliveries really score is when you order something from a Greek supplier, and you pay COD to the courier driver. No financial risk with an unknown supplier!

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think DHL is now really Deutsche Post DHL. If a parcel is sent through the Deutsche Post part of the service then I think it comes through ELTA.

Both of those statements were confirmed to me by a DHL employee. I phoned DHL in the UK to ask to which Greek courier service my package would the transferred (the sender had quoted the Data Protection Act when refusing to add a phone number to my address).

I gave the tracking number and was told, "That's one of our Deutsche Post tracking numbers: it will be transferred to the Greek mail service, ELTA." The man then helpfully contacted the German division and told me the package had left Athens for Crete the previous day. Next day the postman delivered to me.

I believe Amazon UK has some items dispatched from their German operation and it's those that end up with ELTA. Items dispatched by courier from the UK have been delivered to me directly by DHL.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:32 pm

filippos wrote:...I believe Amazon UK has some items dispatched from their German operation and it's those that end up with ELTA. Items dispatched by courier from the UK have been delivered to me directly by DHL.

That would certainly make sense. I think in Germany Deutsche Post is the equivalent of Royal Mail in the UK and ELTA in Greece. It is pretty normal for each country's national postal service to use the national postal service of another country to complete international deliveries. Deutsche Post taking a share in DHL was an attempt to broaden their reach into the UK when delivery services were liberalised. I am not sure if it is possible to access Deutsche Post directly in the UK although Amazon might have special deals. There is no mention of Deutsche Post in any of the services parts of the UK DHL web site and the DHL-Deutsche Post banner at the bottom of the page simply takes you to a corporate web site promoting the company rather than its services.

Warwick

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone.

My packages came in a glut (as did other peoples' in the town) so I imagine they were all sat in the corner somewhere and someone happened to notice them one day.

Return to “General Discussion & News”