SYRIZA

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Maud

Re: SYRIZA

Postby Maud » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:41 pm

I am all for tieless and unstuffy politics! I love Varoufakis's 'laid back' posture. The good thing is he seems to have the intelligence and personality to carry it all off! - Finger's crossed that Syriza can also deliver on some of its promises.

Maud.

Tinny

Postby Tinny » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Something decent from the German online rags at last.

If you're looking in Ray, take a look at the answer to question 6!

http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2015-02/y ... ng/seite-3

Come on ladies, spit it out, as my wife says (continuously) "Yanis Varoufakis is 'hot' :roll:
Deano

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:02 pm

The Guardian on the Semiotics of Dress

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_fb

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Well done, Tinny, you've hit the nail on the head over the little love-fest going on here among the ladies! :lol: I also agree that he has three things in abundance required of a successful politician: charisma, charm and intelligence. Whether or not he wears a tie is irrelevant (remember how Cameron et al started off tieless, but soon reverted to type?) the key is that he and Tsipras offer hope; something that's been in very short supply up to now.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Maybe it's just me, but something about Varoufakis reminds me of Spock from Star Trek!!................

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Not just you Andrew.

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/ and scroll down a bit.

Tinny

Postby Tinny » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:27 pm

I think Yanis would be ok with the Spok analogy, seeing as he was the voice of 'logic' on the Enterprise

According to my kids (especially my daughters - again :roll: ) who've attended his lectures and presentations (even if they didn't have to!!) not only is he the 'hottest prof on campus' but he's a mesmerising speaker.
Let's hope he can work his charm on Ms Merkal (who's starting to resemble a ventriloquist dummy)
Deano

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Tinny wrote:...Let's hope he can work his charm on Ms Merkal (who's starting to resemble a ventriloquist dummy)

What does her sartorial choice and body language tell people, apart from a liberal use of whalebones?

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Sartorial choice not good for a woman of her shape. - Jackets too short and bright colours not always right for her!

Body language.......

O.K, so Varoufakis has been described on here as looking like Mr. Spock.....and also appealing to the women! Perhaps he appeals to the women because he has intelligence, charisma and charm. - How do you chaps rate Mrs. M.......with or without whale bones?! Answers on a postcard.......

Maud.

jet

Postby jet » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:40 pm

How about sending Syriza some mens tie. Agree not to meet up with proper attire

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Varoufakis the Rock Star?

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/greeces-r ... ar-AA8WCBt

The Guardian also ran an article calling him the Rock Star of Athens, rolling up in his leather garb on his 1300cc motorbike to meetings with Tsipras. As well as campus students now waiting to take selfies with him.

He is outshining Tsipras at the moment! Although great moments from Tsipras with the tie and hand holding, as mentioned in previous post.

It truly feels that these two politicians (and their party) are sincere and really are trying to do the best for Greece, their people & even the EU.

Let's hope that they don't get destroyed by the big bad boys in EU.

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Ties aside...a good progress report.

http://re-define.org/blog/tue-02032015- ... big-favour

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Much the general thinking on LIC Clio. - A good analysis. Thank you for the link.

Maud.

Tinny

Postby Tinny » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:18 am

They make a damn good team Tsipras/Varoufakis, working the room (the EU) together.
I think they both have very unique skills and a mutual respect for how and where they should be applied.
I think the 'outshining Tsipras' is just a question of the 'moment'! His job as FinMin has thrust him more into the public eye for obvious reasons.
Deano

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:34 am

I think Europe needs to recognise that Tsipras and Varoufakis want to reform Greece. They want it to have effective government and an effective public service. Only time will tell if they can achieve that aim but at least they don't have the political baggage of PASOK and ND to prevent them.

The changes put in place by the Samaras coalition were not designed to reform Greece. They were designed to satisfy Greece's creditors while upsetting as little as possible the clientelist foundations of their power base. A farmer who is in debt could sell his fields to pay off the debt but once sold, where is his income going to come from? If a way can be found to improve that farmer's productivity then he can repay his debt and still have income. Greece as a country had poor productivity in large part because of corrupt incompetent government and public services. The message seems to be pretty clear and in line with what Syriza are preaching.

I still hope they have a Plan B. A quote from the seventh paragraph in the article linked by Clio: " A Mea culpa, whether explicit or implicit, is a prerequite to any substantial changes in policies." When I look at photos of Angela Merkel, Catherine Tate's school girl character springs to mind: "Does my face look bovered?"

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”