Syriza Grants Legal Status to Gay Couples

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Blighty

Syriza Grants Legal Status to Gay Couples

Postby Blighty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:56 pm

This is truly wonderful news - an incredible step forward for Greece.
After decades of bigoted Greek politicians and the unspoken power
of the church, justice and equality shines through.

Thank You Mr Tsipris - you've honoured your word - you are a hero !

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/02 ... y-couples/

Clio

Re: Syriza Grants Legal Status to Gay Couples

Postby Clio » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Hear hear. Though there are of course no gays in our village....

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Very good news ....jeff...

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:17 pm

I can't fault the actions of the this Greek Government... They promised reform & it's happening in all the right ways...

Direct link:- http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/02/11/new-greek-govt-grants-legal-status-to-gay-couples/

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:50 pm

The Papa`s wont be happy Papa`s.
Dave H

Blighty

Postby Blighty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:34 pm

moved 2 crete wrote:The Papa`s wont be happy Papa`s.

The papa's have very little influence now that Syriza are in power - Greece is changing - for the better.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Blighty wrote
Greece is changing - for the better.

That may well be your opinion but not mine and, I am sure, all the Christians, Jews and Muslims in Greece. It may be that Greece follows the "anything goes" route but see what it has done to the UK and USA, two countries founded on Christian principles but now in moral decline.

Blighty

Postby Blighty » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 pm

[quote="johnincrete"]Blighty wrote [quote]Greece is changing - for the better.[/quote]

That may well be your opinion but not mine and, I am sure, all the Christians, Jews and Muslims in Greece. It may be that Greece follows the "anything goes" route but see what it has done to the UK and USA, two countries founded on Christian principles but now in moral decline.[/quote]
No government or religion has the right to dictate who we chooses to love.
Until now, Greece has been one of the minority countries in the EU who have not recognised legal rights for gay couples.

I accept that we are all entitled to express our personal views, but I envisage that most of Greek society will accept changes such as these in a positive light.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 am

I am sure there are plenty of gay Christians, Johnincrete, who welcome this move.

Morality has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or any other religion.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:34 pm

There can be no such thing as a homosexual Christian because, although God forgives sins, we must abide by His rule in our lifestyle, making sins just occasional slip-ups. If a Christian has homosexual leanings, he or she must not act them out but should depend on God's love, grace and mercy to help him or her. We do have Christians who do claim to be non-practicing homosexuals but we also have those who are blatent in their abhorent lifestyle (including an American "bishop"): they cannot be Christians!

Phaedra wrote:
Morality has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or any other religion.

What a preposterous statement! The Bible is all about God's moral standards that we are to follow. It is because Christians have not spoken out that the anything goes lifestyle is now universal. That is not the fault of the religion nor of God: it is just simple fear of how friends and relations will act. The Christians in the early church did speak out, many were martyred and many lost the homes and jobs: modern Christians do not have the same conviction as these.

And don't take the rich-living bishops in their palaces as being representative of Christianity: their position and the hiearchy they represent have no support in the BIble but are the result of man's love of self and power over others.

And don't take every Greek to be Christian just because they have gone through some sort of ritual: Jesus himself tells us how a person becomes a Christian and it is NOT by infant baptism.

celt0

Postby celt0 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:25 pm

johnincrete wrote.....

That may well be your opinion but not mine and, I am sure, all the Christians, Jews and Muslims in Greece. It may be that Greece follows the "anything goes" route but see what it has done to the UK and USA, two countries founded on Christian principles but now in moral decline.

"....all the Christians, Jews and Muslims" How do you know that?

I too wondered how the Greek population would view this change in the human rights of about 5% of the population. I thought to myself that maybe Greece isn't yet ready for such a change. But I have faith - not taken from the bible - but faith that generally people will think it's about time that everyone's rights were respected and observed and not just those who take a literal view of what the Bible, Koran or Tanakh says.

Your words imply that two people of the same sex committing to a relationship legally, contributes to a supposed decline in morality. I think the opposite is true in that I would infinitely prefer a changing, progressive world to what came before, making way for a more enlightened and morally balanced society. Homosexual people living in fear they be put in prison, stoned, hanged or thrown to their deaths from a high roof (as reported recently) because they happened to be homosexual, in my view, is not only immoral but barbaric and untenable in today's world.

So called Christians who take a selective view of what the bible says and try and force their views on everyone else are immoral in my view. For example, do you (Johnincrete) believe that the bible is right in stating that " all wives should be submissive to their husbands in all things" or that "it is shameful for women to speak in church" ? Or, do you treat the bible's do's and don'ts as some kind of smorgasbord and only choose to believe in the things that suit your particular palate?

johnincrete went on to say....

We do have Christians who do claim to be non-practicing homosexuals but we also have those who are blatent in their abhorent lifestyle

I don't think I live an abhorrent lifestyle and it is insulting to label me as such. I consider myself to be a good person who respects others and want only to do good things while I am here on this earth but I can not understand anyone who applies such blind faith in the literal word of the scriptures. If I did, I think that would be immoral of me.
Whatdoesthebigbaratthebottomofthekeyboarddo?

Tinny

Postby Tinny » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:30 pm

[quote]The Bible is all about God's moral standards that we are to follow./quote]

As per Liviticus no doubt :roll:
Deano

Tinny

Postby Tinny » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:32 pm

OO quick correct your spelling Dean, I mean 'Leviticus' obviously (fingers have a mind of their own today)
Deano

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:24 pm

This was bound to be a contentious thread when it was started!

I agree with Phaedra, morality has nothing to do with religion. Many people are not religious at all, yet have a morality that would put many Christians and other religious followers to shame. - They are totally different entities.

My husband had a woman who worked for him who was homosexual. Our friends have a son who is also homosexual. They are both in long term relationships and all four individual are the nicest people one could meet. Some of our greatest authors, artists etc have been homosexual. - Very talented people. I judge people more by their own values and behaviour than by their religion.

Sadly, taking a literal view of what is written in the Bible, Koran etc is what is leading to so much extremism today. Unfortunately people can also misconstrue the written work to fuel their own beliefs.

As for greedy bishops John, it has always gone on. - History re greed, wealth, and the Church, (and one's own desires re Royalty and the Church!), are well represented in the novel Wolf Hall. - That period in history is well known to us all. The fact that people could be stoned to death, or burnt at the stake by Christians is appalling. I hope that in this day and age we can all be far more tolerant of people's 'differences' and learn to live with them. There was never any justification in such barbarous acts.....as has been said earlier in this thread.

Using religion as an excuse, (I am not saying you are doing that John, - I honestly think you are just following your beliefs), to vilify homosexuality is common place to justify homophobia, and should be recognised as such.

Being a lover of rugby, and a follower of the Welsh team, I watched a documentary on the BBC last week about the ex Welsh player and captain Gareth 'Alfie' Thomas. It was about the difficulties he faced 'coming out' in such a male dominated environment, and the anguish he had lived with since he was 15 years old. (When he had recognised his homosexuality). I cannot imagine that anyone could have watched the programme and not felt deeply for his plight over all the years. The encouraging thing was how his fellow team players supported him when they eventually knew the situation. I hope this is a sign of acceptance more in the modern world.

Maud.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:58 pm

I agree with everything you say, Maud (except the bit about the Welsh rugby team, as I'm an England supporter to my core!) None of us has been granted a birthright to judge another person's lifestyle, and we shouldn't do so unless it directly harms us. Of course John is free to believe that it is not possible to be homosexual and a Christian, just as a gay person is free to believe the opposite. Because, in the end, that's all it is --- belief. Belief in God does not of itself make you a better or more moral person than somebody who does not believe in God. It's our actions, not beliefs, that count; how you treat fellow human beings, animal life and the environment. And no, we don't have to "respect" religious belief if we don't agree with it or believe in it. Tolerate it, yes, just as people of faith should tolerate those who are athiest or agnostic. As Maud says, when taken to its limits a literal view of ancient writings has been and remains the cause of so much of the intolerance and extremism infecting our lives today.

Return to “General Discussion & News”