Syriza Grants Legal Status to Gay Couples

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
altohb

Re: Syriza Grants Legal Status to Gay Couples

Postby altohb » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:29 pm

You've said it far more cogently than I could, Mixos - apart from the rugby stuff, about which I care zilch!

Tolerance of the beliefs (or lack thereof) of others is what makes the world a civilised place. We know what extremism or fanaticism of any kind can do!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:33 pm

Being a total agnostic, I also try my best to do no harm to any living creature, but if all creation was homosexual the human race would not exist, But why any legal status should be desired by couples of any sexual persuasion in this day and age baffles me, taking things a little further on, if the couples male or female adopt children or in the case of males have a surrogate mother give birth by artificial insemination comes the child`s inevitable question who is my mother and who is my father because all my friends have a mum and dad, those children will be very perplexed,we seem to be progressing into the realms of the surreal :? :?:
Dave H

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:03 pm

I personally doubt that this was anything to do with Syriza.

Far more likely to have been an edict from Brussels which was nodded through parliament without discussion.

John

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:45 pm

johnincrete wrote:...we must abide by His rule in our lifestyle...

Purely out of curiosity, John, have you ever eaten pork, or rabbit, or prawns or shrimps or mussels or octopus or squid?

Also would you advocate putting all practising homosexuals to death?

Warwick

Blighty

Postby Blighty » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Syriza was the party that responded to most of the calls for support from the LGBT community, they took part in panels for LGBT issues, they supported LGBT issues publicly under the pressure of conservative parties, they took part in Pride parades in Thessaloniki and Syriza also has its own Gender and LGBT group within the party.

DJ

Postby DJ » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:59 pm

So, so pleased that Syriza is doing this.

Sadly, the bigotry expressed by one person on this thread is the same bigotry that results in innocent people being beheaded and burned alive.

As someone has already intimated, it is how we live and how we respect others that counts - not blind adherence to ancient writings.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:02 am

celt0

Postby celt0 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 am

John (Retired in Crete) posted....

Coming to a town near you soon?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/br ... 46441.html

John

Well - personally I hope not! I don't want to see anyone of any gender making public spectacles of their affection for each other. I too dislike couples (gay or straight) 'snogging' in a bar, restaurant, Trafalgar Square or anywhere for that matter. But as you are probably completely aware John, the people in this article are making a point, in that heterosexual couples do not even think twice about showing their affection with their partners in public places, however the majority of homosexual couples (86% according to the article) would never risk it for fear of being attacked or at the very least verbally abused.

I wish these stats were different, but I am a realist and recognise that the sensitivities of others should be taken into consideration, and on a normal run of the mill day, shopping in town for instance, I would not even put my arm around my partner of over 21 years because people may take offence and I do not wish to deal with bigotry and prejudice in my daily life unless it threatens me or those I love.

So, even though this kind of demonstration may be distasteful to many, it at least draws attention to the differences that in life you, John, enjoy and completely take for granted, versus people like me and my partner.

Yes, 21 gloriously happy, committed and loving years. In my earlier years, I would often have to defend myself against the prejudice and bigotry that used to prevail in society. These days, it makes my heart sing that attitudes have changed so much for the better (still more to do though) but I will still challenge and debate with others that say, or imply, that I do not have a right to live my life the way I do because 'it is a sin' or because they do not like it. Get over it.
Whatdoesthebigbaratthebottomofthekeyboarddo?

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 am

Oh dear Cato, you have totally misconstrued my post!

I simply asked a question “Coming to a town near you? I made no comment as to whether I approved or not so let me rephrase it: “Will we see this in Crete?” You hope not as you “don't want to see anyone of any gender making public spectacles of their affection for each other.” Thank you for your answer. I actually disagree with you and see nothing wrong with public displays of affection, within reason of course. If anything, my only emotion is mild jealousy as I do not currently have a partner!

You imply that you have encountered bigotry and prejudice and I have not. How wrong you are! For 42 years I was married to a wonderful Jewish girl (I am Christian). I can assure you, from personal experience, that anti-Semitism is alive and well! Her religion only once worked in her favour when she got a job with a Jewish boss because she was the only Jewish applicant, but then I am sure things like this happen with other minorities as well.

Lastly, my brother-in-law is gay! We have a great relationship and his sexual orientation is of no concern to me. I do not care what anyone’s sexual preferences are provided, of course, that they do not infringe upon the rights of others.

Please get the chip off your shoulder, stop being so defensive and looking for prejudice where none exists!

John

celt0

Postby celt0 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for your reply John.

I am glad you have clarified the reason behind your post. If my words read as a personal attack on you, please believe me when I say it was not an attack but an observation, aimed at sharing my point of view with you on public displays of affection. I'm not referring to kissing - nothing wrong with that of course, but as I said in my post, 'snogging,' for instance in a restaurant, to me is distasteful. After all there is a time and place for a little bit of tonsil tennis.

The piece about standing up to prejudice and bigotry was a general comment meant to explain why I posted here originally and not to imply I am the only one who has personally witnessed prejudice. I can fully imagine and appreciate the feelings your wife experienced (and you). Reading my post again, I can see why you would say what you did though. It was a little ambiguous I agree.

As to that chip on my shoulder. There isn't one, as anyone who knows me would tell you.
Whatdoesthebigbaratthebottomofthekeyboarddo?

Rej

Postby Rej » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 pm

moved 2 crete wrote:Being a total agnostic, I also try my best to do no harm to any living creature, but if all creation was homosexual the human race would not exist, But why any legal status should be desired by couples of any sexual persuasion in this day and age baffles me, taking things a little further on, if the couples male or female adopt children or in the case of males have a surrogate mother give birth by artificial insemination comes the child`s inevitable question who is my mother and who is my father because all my friends have a mum and dad, those children will be very perplexed,we seem to be progressing into the realms of the surreal :? :?:

I happen to know a same sex couple with chidren. Through them I know others in similar situations. So far as I can tell, the kids behave much like any other kids and the parents respond and react much as all parents do. It seems to me that children in a secure happy family will be secure happy children. Those in a more or less dysfunctional or unstable family probably will not. The gender of their parents is not relevant. As for asking why they do not have a mummy and a daddy like their friends; I suppose that they do ask at some stage but it is not a big deal and is just one more awkward question not too different from many such questions which parents have to deal with. Oh, and in case you are wondering, they don't turn out gay.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks to Reg for his reasoned explanation of my question but I await an equally eloquent explanation of the first part of my post,( if all creation was homosexual the human race would not exist) did the theory that artificial insemination existed from the big bang, no pun intended. Bearing in mind that I have no religious accusations regarding homosexuality nor do I have a homophobic attitude in my post just a reasoning mind and maybe a touch of the devils advocate. It could be a deal of heterosexuality crept in over time and some of the human race preferred same sex intercourse as some animals do, but not for procreation but purely for pleasure.
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Rej wrote:...As for asking why they do not have a mummy and a daddy like their friends; I suppose that they do ask at some stage but it is not a big deal and is just one more awkward question not too different from many such questions which parents have to deal with...

It's a bit like the old joke about a young kid coming home from school and asking the age old question, "Where do I come from mummy?". The mother spends about an hour giving him the basic sex talk and asking at the end if that had answered his question. He replies, "Not really. We've got a new kid at school and he comes from Darlaston so I wondered where I came from?"

Warwick

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Nice one Warwick, makes sense of the whole/ hole subject, again no pun intended , Male or female or don`t know. :)
Dave H

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:46 am

My last comment on this topic.

I do wish people who quote or mis-quote the Bible would stop it! For example: the Levitical rules were given to a nomadic people who had just gained freedom from slavery and had no idea how to live: all such ritual was superceded when the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed. Many people have mis-quoted Paul's advice on the relationship between husband and wife and used their mis-quote to belittle marriage and Christianity as a whole: later in the same scripture, husbands are told to love their wives as themselves and the love Paul talked about is God's type of love NOT the world's (Read 1st Corinthians chapter 13). Paul was NOT anti-women (many of his helpers were women ) and the "keep quiet" remark was made about a small number of women who were disrupting the church services at Corinth who were pretending to "speak in tongues" after visiting the oracle at Delphi. They were typical of many who call themselves Christians and who seek to exalt themselves as being super-spiritual.

Anyone who really wants to know what the Bible really says can join the Bible Study group that I will be leading.

Return to “General Discussion & News”