Owl Right?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Clio
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Owl Right?

Postby Clio » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Just heard a familiar, but unexpected sound: the piping "poop"cry of the Scops’ Owl, which according to various websites should be enjoying its winter hols in North Africa just now. In 15 years here I’ve never heard it outside the summer – certainly never before on a damp February evening just outside Rethymnon. I’m wondering when to expect the cicadas!

SatCure
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: Apokoronas

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Who or what are "the Scops" to which you imply this owl belongs? :?

filippos
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Postby filippos » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:48 pm

Are you trying to drive people away from this forum with your nit picking, Martin? Everyone knows exactly what was meant. I say everyone but perhaps that excludes you since you always enquire what people mean.

I'm sure if people want grammar lessons in English they'll ask for them. Why not desist and at least try to be a reasonable human being.

I think Kilkis summed you up beautifully with his analogy to missiles.

katharine
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: central England

Postby katharine » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:16 pm

for all those who, like me, are still living in cooler lands, the scops owl can be heard at
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus= ... cies=scops

Actually, if you listen to the call really carefully, I think there might be an apostrophe????

Katharine.

paulh
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: Akrotiri

Postby paulh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Having listened to the Russian recording of the call, there is certainly one/two hunting most of the year around Stavros bay (and slightly inland) on Akrotiri.

On a still winter night you hear their cry even clearer because it bounces off the mountain. I'm fairly sure I heard it/them only a few nights ago. I certainly heard them during January.

Summertime we also have a big white tawny owl which occasionally deigns to show itself.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 am

filippos wrote:Are you trying to drive people away from this forum with your nit picking, Martin? Everyone knows exactly what was meant. I say everyone but perhaps that excludes you since you always enquire what people mean.

I'm sure if people want grammar lessons in English they'll ask for them. Why not desist and at least try to be a reasonable human being.

I think Kilkis summed you up beautifully with his analogy to missiles.


Aahh come on Filippos, there are several people on this site who annoy me intensly (you are not one of them) but I don't keep moaning about them every time they post. I just ignore them.

A little tolerance is called for methinks.

John

filippos
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:37 am

Retired in Crete wrote:A little tolerance is called for methinks.

John
Exactly what I have been asking for but he doesn't seem capable of understanding let alone taking a hint. I know that on at least one other site the sniping made some people refrain from posting. He obviously thinks he's superior but to me he comes across as pomposity personified with a rather unpleasant snide aspect to his character. He rarely contributed anything interesting or positive beyond the occasional flaunting of knowledge of satellite systems.

Do you remember his avatar, by the way? Middle aged chap with a chubby face and a fluttering left eyelid. The winker.

I'm merely concerned that his missiles, as Warwick dubbed them, could deter some people with useful or interesting information from sharing it.

I believe he's threatening, oops, planning to buy property in Vamos. That's given me an extra incentive to move so watch out as I might be prepared to move east.

baccybabs
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Melissorgiou, Crete

Postby baccybabs » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:54 am

Ive heard the owl here in our village too...also looked them up on the web - - interesting. :D

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Filippos

I think that nothing will deter posters and potential members more than the personal attack you have just launched on Martin.

It has no place on this forum.

John

Kilkis
Posts: 9576
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Since the offending apostrophe is usually associated with greengrocers, whenever Martin launches one of his grammar attacks I always have an image in my mind of him walking up to an eighteen stone east end barrow boy and pointing out that his signs are not correct. Works for me.

Warwick

andheath
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Sitia - Stay Away - Go West

Postby andheath » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:14 am

A little tolerance is called for methinks.


I think the only thing that should not be tolerated is intolerance.

That and humorless people who have nothing better to do than pick up on grammatical errors like what I not understand.

Nice owl link. toowitt tawoo

Lots of frogs on the job tonight. Croak croak.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Wayne d
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:04 am
Location: East Midlands

Postby Wayne d » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:54 pm

All of you people out there forget the abundant wildlife to be heard in Suburban Britain all year round. This is a pick of what my ears have witnessed over the last few evenings.

Sat night 11.30pm-the Lesser clothed Common Tart: Call-Geroffimeesmineyouslag.

Sat Night 11.55pm-The Spotted Guttersnipe(a whole flock actually):Call-A loud screeching of Pirrelli and Michelins fron Vauxhall Novas and Renault Clios.

Sun night 2am-The lesser spotted ex-husband. Call-letmeinididn'tmeanit.................bitch.

These are but a small selection of calls to be heard when the nights draw in. Unfortunately they are not put off by the weather or the hour, and they don't migrate.

lshall05
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 am
Location: Malia

Postby lshall05 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:43 pm

Just as well they don't migrate or they could end up living next to you in Crete!!

Saying that some of them do migrate to Malia for a few months of the year!!
Living in Crete!!

altohb
Posts: 812
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: Sitia

Wildlife

Postby altohb » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Sat night 11.30pm-the Lesser clothed Common Tart: Call-Geroffimeesmineyouslag.

Sat Night 11.55pm-The Spotted Guttersnipe(a whole flock actually):Call-A loud screeching of Pirrelli and Michelins fron Vauxhall Novas and Renault Clios.


Some of these do migrate, you know, and can be spotted in Malia & Hersonnisos during the summer months. The Lesser clothed blue kneed Common Tart is particularly visible, and also changes plumage during this period, moulting in the daytime and emerging at night as the Red Fronted Drunken Burbler: Call completely incomprehensible.

The Spotted Guttersnipe arrives in the same migration, and spends its time in its summer home in direct competition with the Clear Skinned Tanned Kamaki, whose natural habitat this is, while exchanging the more familiar Novas & Clios for whining quadbikes which they are unable properly to control. The kamaki favour scooters which they can operate with their knees while drinking coffee and making phone calls - a winning combination as far as the Red Fronted Drunken Burbler is concerned, and a large amount of inter-species aggression occurs, only subsiding when the visitors finally return to their northern home.

lshall05
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 am
Location: Malia

Re: Wildlife

Postby lshall05 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 pm

altohb wrote:Some of these do migrate, you know, and can be spotted in Malia & Hersonnisos during the summer months. The Lesser clothed blue kneed Common Tart is particularly visible, and also changes plumage during this period, moulting in the daytime and emerging at night as the Red Fronted Drunken Burbler: Call completely incomprehensible.


Thankfully the vast majority tend to flock to one area (in Malia at least) which is known as Beach Road. This should be avoided at all costs by locals during the high season!

altohb wrote:The Spotted Guttersnipe arrives in the same migration, and spends its time in its summer home in direct competition with the Clear Skinned Tanned Kamaki, whose natural habitat this is, while exchanging the more familiar Novas & Clios for whining quadbikes which they are unable properly to control. The kamaki favour scooters which they can operate with their knees while drinking coffee and making phone calls - a winning combination as far as the Red Fronted Drunken Burbler is concerned, and a large amount of inter-species aggression occurs, only subsiding when the visitors finally return to their northern home.


Unfortunately, they don't confine themselves to the one area!!
Living in Crete!!


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests