Rain, Rain, go away

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moved 2 crete

Rain, Rain, go away

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Man hole covers now lifting on the coast road Kolimbari area, the drains can`t take the volume of water, the land is saturated and cannot find any release, how are other areas managing, it seems to be more rain for the next week.
Dave H

Maud

Re: Rain, Rain, go away

Postby Maud » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Warm sunshine here in the U.K! - Just had lunch in the garden. (I'm not being smug.....it was a miserably wet day yesterday!)

At least everything will be nice and green, and the Spring flowers should still be in bloom for our arrival on Kriti in just over 4 weeks time!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Hope all clears away for your coming Maud, God willing it can`t go on much longer my Greek neighbour has lost more of his land due to land slip. This is freak weather here.
Dave H

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Freak, Dave? A bit more snow than usual in the mountains maybe but apart from that I reckon it's been (and is) pretty typical.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Well filippos, my Greek neighbour Giannis born and bred here in the kolimbari area 60 years old said today as we worked with a JCB digger bull dozer machine clearing his landslip in the dromaki between our properties said and I quote, I have never seen weather like this in my life time, so all I can say is where ever you live on Crete and I know you have lived here many years it must not rain as much as it has here in our area, roads blocked etc etc bridges collapsed, between here and Spillia I have lived full time here for nine years now farming our olives, grapes, oranges, lemons, and I know the rain season but not as bad as this, I can say no more.
Dave H

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Oh you seem to have had it very bad , up here the last 2 or 3 winters have been very dry causing a lot of anxiety about water shortages . So this years snowfall has been very wellcome, filling up the wells that have been dry for a bit .... jeff

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:10 pm

I just looked at the weather for the rest of the week http://www.deltiokairou.gr/gr/weather/l ... yki/ziros/
looks like more rain at the end of the week ... must get out in the morning and get the grapes pruned ....jeff...

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:27 pm

If filippos has watched KPHTHTV tonight he would see the problems caused by the extreme weather conditions I described in my earlier post all I can say is the kalives area must be very lucky to have escaped the problems caused by this freak weather, the lane dromaki between my neighbours house and mine used to be a river way back in the distant past so my neighbour says before his time, it is now again a small river causing a large amount of land slip on both side affecting a number of olive groves both side causing olive trees a century old to slip down into the ravine that has been carved out by the rain water. this not normal.!!!!!
Dave H

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:13 pm

I think the fact that you live close to an old watercourse is making it worse for you than in many (most?) other places. In this area in February and the first half of March 2003 we had more rain than this year. It was reported that western Crete that winter had the equivalent of three years' rain in 6-7 weeks, apparently the worst in duration and volume for 84 years (memory is slightly hazy but it was certainly reported as the worst for 80+ years). There were landslips all over the place and at least one person in Rethymno area lost their life when buried by one.

Whatever your neighbour says seems to be contradicted by several locals round here who are relieved that we're getting enough rain to restore levels to those needed to be certain of not suffering shortages, just as Jeff has said.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:02 am

The sun is shining once again and Jeff can get out and prune his grapes, I did mine 2 weeks ago, having had holidays for 20 years in the Hersonissos area,i.e Pisko Piano in the past I understand the need for water in the dryer more arid areas on Crete, my choice to live here in the Kolimbari area was prompted by a coach trip from Hersonissos called the Best of the West and was surprised to see such a green and pleasant area so decided to live here when I retired from business in the U.K, it may be that when the figures for rainfall are compiled for this year they could exceed those of 2003 for this area, we wait to see, these dry old water courses have been used as lanes and even roads in most Mediterranean countries and in our area they are cleared once a year by the local council for access and are used by local farmers from Spillia to Darmarohori for generations, George our other Greek neighbour has just arrived to say he cannot get to his work shed up the lane for his tools, he has not seen this much rain water in the 50 years he has lived in this area, the roof blew off my 9 year old workshop 2 weeks ago causing thousands of Euros damage to my woodworking tools, I have now replaced it so I reiterate this weather is exceptional.
Dave H

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am

Whatever your neighbour says seems to be contradicted by several locals round here who are relieved that we're getting enough rain to restore levels to those needed to be certain of not suffering shortages,

There’s no contradiction, just different - and equally valid - experiences.

Coming home from the south last Saturday, after a dry shopping trip, there was a line – dry one side, wet the other - across the road as we entered the next micro-climate where it had been peeing down all day. Weather conditions in Crete are regional , and so are memories. The weather is of vital importance to a peasant farmer so he tends to remember vividly how it affected his area, his crops.
Phil’s ‘worst winter’ was 2003; mine, I see from the archives, was 2004. And we can both be right because we experience different micro-climates.

However...the sun is indeed shining, even even up here on these sodden slopes, so let's all be glad for the coming of spring, tra-la.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:52 am

Well said Clio,the micro climate does change area too area.
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:58 pm

I think you might be pushing the concept of micro climates too far. Generally the weather behaves as it does because of sound physical principles, even if we are not always able to model some of the detail.

For example if you measure the rainfall near the coast and also measure it higher in the white mountains, e.g. going up the valleys to Omalos and Sougia, it is undoubtedly true that the average rainfall over the winter will be higher in the valleys than near the coast. Not really a micro climate. Just the effect of the mountains. Similarly with the Lasithi plateau compare to the eastern coastal region.

Our memory of rainfall is also subject to "peak-end" effect like all phenomena. This means we tend to remember the violent events and the most recent events but don't recall well the background. Filippos will never forget the torrential rain that occurred for a very brief period some years ago because of its devastating effects, including fatalities, but that doesn't mean that particular downpour was that significant. That event didn't necessarily make that a particularly bad winter. I think the experience of moved 2 crete and his neighbours is like this. Land slips are normally caused by very heavy rain usually for a short period of time and often quite localised. If you had a measurement of the total rainfall in that area over the whole winter it wouldn't necessarily be any higher than normal nor any higher than nearby areas with similar geography.

Warwick

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 pm

The rainfall has not been for a short period of time, it is significant that the soil around our area is completely waterlogged, you can see it in lakes on the flat land near the coast road approaching Kolimbari, the ground is saturated and cannot run off, we had heavy rain in 2006 but nothing like this plus the gale force winds we had two weeks or so ago. Where the water can run off it is taking the saturated soil with it thus causing the land slip.
Dave H

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:01 am

Micro climate or global Warming,call it what you want, it cannot be denied, as for rainfall, it falls on mountains by cloud burst,valleys plains or coast and sea,s equally as it chooses , as for snow if there is more than usual it is because of moisture some call it rain, precipitation, etc as it melts it flows as water into fissures in rock, caverns, wells etc and is retained, an the excess then finds its way down in rivers finally to the sea, an excess lies on flat land making lakes ponds and the like, what we are experiencing at the moment is not the Cretan norm, today friends from Polemarchi, Kalidhonia, and the Aptera area they also are Greek married to English and have reported they have suffered land slides unknown in the past, all traumatic experiences, hardly a peak end effect as described by Warwick, I call it reality caused by excessive rain fall, for 12 years I have used this web site 3 years in the U.K prior to moving here permanently and nine years here and have respected helpful posting by filippos and Warwick but on this occasion regarding the extreme weather conditions I think they are burying their heads in the sand and not seeing reality.
Dave H

Return to “General Discussion & News”