Buying a car in the UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Dansam

Buying a car in the UK

Postby Dansam » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:58 pm

I live in Crete but visit the UK regularly, each time having to hire a car which is becoming expensive over the course of the year. I have the chance to buy a small car but cannot insure it as I do not have a permanent British address or have not accrued any No Claims Bonus in the UK.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

SatCure

Re: Buying a car in the UK

Postby SatCure » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm

I can't think of any legal way to beat the system. Simplest way is to buy the car and get a friend to insure and tax it in his name. Big problem if you get stopped by the police!

Buy a small house and put it with agents to rent out. Use it as your "home" address.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Buying a house seems a rather extreme solution? Don't you have a single relative or friend in the UK who would allow you to use their address? Simply register the car in your name at that address then insure it in your own name giving that address. No way round the no-claim bonus I'm afraid but if it is a cheap car just take the most basic insurance you can. The no-claim would mount up over time. Obviously the person at that address would need to forward any correspondence to you. Perhaps open any letters, scan them and email as a pdf.

Have you thought about where you are going to park it when you are in Crete? Couldn't you use that address?

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:21 pm

I did keep a car in the UK for a number of years until during an insurance renewal the Insurance company refused to renew as "you do not live in the UK"

I found the following broker Stuart Collins very helpful. Give them a call.

My car was registered to a UK address, which is also where I kept it and was it's insured address. The original problem was I had to declare that I was a UK resident, which I was not.

Where will you register your car?

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Dansam

Postby Dansam » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:39 am

it is a used car and is registered in the UK.

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Regarding the No Claim Bonus, I bought a car in the UK 2 years ago, and was dreading the amount I would have to pay.

After the question "how many years NCB do you have?" to which the answer was 0, comes the question "have you had any accidents or convictions" to which the answer was also 0.

I can only assume that the second question cancels out the first, as I had to pay around £230 for a new car, fully comprehensive. Its parked on a driveway too, not garaged.

Bob
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi Dansam

I meant after you buy the car, what address will you put on the V5C as the Registered Keeper?

You may find the following information useful

In recognition of the difficulties involved for some keepers, (for example, travellers) in providing a permanent address, DVLA will accept a care of address. This address may be a friend, doctor, hotel, hostel or similar providing the resident gives permission for the keeper of the vehicle to use the address. PO Box addresses are not accepted for individuals.

Kind regards,

Vehicle Policy Group
DVLA

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Dansam

Postby Dansam » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks a million for all your help and advice. The car is now mine albeit with no No Claims
Bonus. I had to pay £540 but at least I'm now on the ladder.

Thanks again ( as usual ) :D

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:22 am

Can you tell us how you did it? That would be helpful to others.

Return to “General Discussion & News”