Strike

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jean

Strike

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:12 pm

I have just been told that airlines are not flying tomorrow (13th February) due to a strike.
So if you are planning to travel tomorrow best to reschedule.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Also striking tomorrow are doctors, pharmacists, lawyers, government services and banks. Public transport employees also plan to walk off the job.

From Friday 15th February deliveries of central heating oil are expected to close down across Crete in oppostion to the government's new fuel tax rules.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:27 pm

From Friday 15th February deliveries of central heating oil are expected to close down across Crete

Who needs fuel? It's almost summer!

daveg

Postby daveg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Forecast for Sunday around 5Degrees :cry:
Roll on summer but its not here yet!
Dave

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Forecast bad again for this weekend.
Hope you've all stocked up on central heating oil (we haven't!) or logs. I heard that log supplies are starting to run low now too? May have to get out the old chain saw this weekend and head up to the mountains.
Question for Filippos / Margarita (or anyone else in the area) - do you have any contacts in the Kalives area who still have a supply of logs ?

Looks like Jean's OK, it's summer where he lives :wink:

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:58 pm

I saw a tatty notice advertising logs in a shop window (the notice, not the logs) last week. If it's still there I'll note the phone number.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:23 pm

May have to get out the old chain saw this weekend and head up to the mountains.

Make sure that you take your snow chains as well!

Looks like Jean's OK, it's summer where he lives

That's called central heating ;-)
I am actually looking forward to the big 'event' forecast this weekend. Already have snow chains in the car...snow gear (such as snowshoes) will follow soon.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:23 pm

[quote="Jean"]
Make sure that you take your snow chains as well!
[quote]

You're right of course but haven't got any. Have added our emergency gear to the car now - a bottle of tsikoudia and a blanket :)

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:25 pm

filippos wrote:I saw a tatty notice advertising logs in a shop window (the notice, not the logs) last week. If it's still there I'll note the phone number.

Thanks Filippos, appreciate it. No rush (yet!)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Our new neighbour managed to get some oil yesterday before they stopped delivering. Interestingly he had to give his customer reference number with ΔΕΗ. The garage said they could not deliver if he could not give them it. He has only just been connected and has no bills. Fortunately he found a letter from ΔΕΗ that had it on. Presumably this is a new rule. For the past year or so we have been giving our ΑΦΜ. I wonder what happens with somebody who tries to go self sufficient with solar and wind power?

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Kilkis wrote: Interestingly he had to give his customer reference number with ΔΕΗ. The garage said they could not deliver if he could not give them it. He has only just been connected and has no bills. Fortunately he found a letter from ΔΕΗ that had it on. Presumably this is a new rule. For the past year or so we have been giving our ΑΦΜ. I wonder what happens with somebody who tries to go self sufficient with solar and wind power?

Warwick

Yes this is the new rule, and those sharing electricty supplies with neighbours may come unstuck by it.

The current problem with the heating oil fiasco is that the government have implemented in the new rules that garage owners must pay the tax on heating fuel but not pass it on to the customer, and claim it back themselves. Meaning they will be buying the heating oil for say 1 euro/litre and selling it to the customer at 70 cents/litre. They will then have to claim the 30 cents tax back off the govt., who require the DEH customer reference number for them to do so. (Obviously these amounts are just for example & do not include the garage's profit).
The current dispute is in response to this.

Re solar and wind power - I guess people who used these would be 'green' enough to use log powered central heating; heated by pipes in the fireplace (which does exist here).

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:31 pm

you can see a good article on it here

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/ ... ?aid=93343

at the end of it they mention the tie in with your PPC reference number on the PPC bill and the square meterage contained therein as a way of detecting large scale fraudulent claims for refund monies.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:56 pm

We do not have oil fired heating, so I await your offers for the use of my PPC number so that you can keep your diesel cars on the road!

John

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:09 pm

This is a quote from the article referenced by Paul.

"Households will continue paying the same price, –21 for 1,000 liters, and are obliged to supply distributors with the electronic payment code number which appears on their electricity bills, issued by the Public Power Corporation (PPC)."

Does that imply that you will only be entitled to buy 1,000 litres per year at the reduced price?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:33 pm

Carolina wrote:
filippos wrote:I saw a tatty notice advertising logs in a shop window (the notice, not the logs) last week. If it's still there I'll note the phone number.

Thanks Filippos, appreciate it. No rush (yet!)

28250 31444 advertising (now in English and smartly printed) logs supplied, cut for stoves and fireplaces.

Return to “General Discussion & News”