DVLA changes affecting car hire

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Franluxor

DVLA changes affecting car hire

Postby Franluxor » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:46 pm

I wonder if anybody knows about this and whether it is likely to affect us when we arrive on 13th June?

I got an email recently saying "Don't be Left Stranded by the New Car Hire Law" It was quite long but I did check with the DVLA website which confirms it. An extract from the email said:-

"So what happens when you rent a car after the 8th of June?

In the past you've always had to show your paper part of your licence to pick up the rental but after the 8th of June, the DVLA are introducing a new system called "Share my Driving Licence". This service allows you to download an access code that you take with you to the Rental Desk. This is like giving the Desk written permission to access the DVLA's service to check your licence. They then login and can view any endorsements you may or may not have.

Due to this access code only being valid for 72 hours, you will need to be super organised before you leave for your travels! Make sure you go on-line to "Share my Driving Licence" and get your access code no more than 2 days before you pick up the car. Bear in mind that if you're hiring in Australia or somewhere equally as far then you'll need to work out your flight time etc. For more info regarding this please see the DVLA Blog.

Our advice would be to print out a PDF copy as well as the access code, just in case there are any technical problems when you get to the desk. The Assistant at the desk can call the DVLA directly to check your licence if required but this is costly, typically 51p a minute premium rate service. The cost to you, the customer, can be as much as £19.99 depending on the location and the service is only available Monday - Friday 0800 - 1900 and Saturday 0900 - 1400!! No good for Sunday travellers!"

It could apparently affect anybody from the UK hiring a car from June 8th anywhere in the world (including the UK). We will try just handing over the old paper one first, as I doubt most companies will know anything about it, but will bring down the code & get the pdf on to the tablet for safety though as we land outside their working hours. Can't help thinking it is going to hit impulse holiday car hires.

http://www.carrentals.co.uk/compare/Don ... s%20Master

Doris

Re: DVLA changes affecting car hire

Postby Doris » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 pm

I hire a car in Crete approx four times a year and have never been asked for the paper part of license, so can't see a problem.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Cant help why you felt the need to post a comparison site on a informative post.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm not sure what your point is, Moggieman. The information is in lots of places including the BBC web site, http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32481382 , the Guardian, http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/a ... s-car-hire , the Mirror, http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pa ... es-5591979 etc.

Does it matter where Franluxor happened to get the information from?

Warwick

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Good helpful post Kilkis. But the change reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles .... in the desert when they arrive, on horseback, at the Barrier ( as in the red and white up/down barriers used on railway lines) and the true story of the Brit who had a Japanese licence and a UK one.... tried to hire a car in Uk but did not have that waste of space bit of paper licence.. he was refused the car, despite having booked it ..... so he got out his Japanese licence.... NOT even in English..... hey presto he gets the car.
Apparently millions of foreigners come to Britain and hire cars ... do they have that pathetic bit of paper. ???

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:58 am

No. I have a Greek licence and there is no paper of any sort. Just the plastic card. No problem hiring in the UK or France.

I did encounter a problem when all I had was the paper from KEP saying my licence was submitted for renewal... in Greek. Fortunately they eventually found a record of a previous hire with the company on their computer records so I got the car.

Warwick

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 am

This raises an interesting issue concerning hire of cars. There must be thousands of people who come from Africa - china - USA or wherever who hire cars in UK and Greece. Do they have their driving history on record or checked do they have their address checked ??? Once in UK my Licence had my old address on so they refused the car until I showed a UK Bank or utility letter.... anyone can make their own letter via computer so whats the point.

George

Postby George » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:21 am

A few times over the years I have hired cars in Greece using my Saudi licence - I think it's just used as proof of who you are rather than ability to drive.

Franluxor

Postby Franluxor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks for the responses, it looks as though we should be OK until we go to visit the UK again then.

Sorry Moggieman just posted the link that I got the info from rather than post the whole article. Not living in the UK I hadn't seen or heard anything else about it before getting the email.

George does your Saudi licence have a translation or is it only in Arabic? We had wondered about using our Egyptian licences but I know the UK wouldn't accept them without official translation when we asked, and never tried Crete.

George

Postby George » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:24 pm

The rear side has a translation of your name and nationality which seems to satisfy any Greek requirements although I've never tried to use it in the UK.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri May 01, 2015 10:03 am

My wife forgot her paper counterpart licence and was initially refused car hire in the UK last year. The company phoned DVLA and charged her £10 for the pleasure.

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:41 pm

The DVLA has the outward appearance of The Samaritans and the inner intent and purpose of a bank.

George

Postby George » Sat May 02, 2015 4:40 pm

DVLA will inform anyone who enquires about penalty points on your licence, at which point the phone is handed to the driver who identifies him/herself through some questions and the person initiating the call has to pay £10. With the changes coming in and the amount of people phoning it's a nice little earner.

altohb

Re: DVLA changes affecting car hire - UPDATE

Postby altohb » Thu May 21, 2015 7:53 am

Just received this from Budget - we normally use them when hiring in the UK.

http://www.budget.co.uk/help-and-advice ... ce-changes

Worth checking what policy your favoured hire company will adopt.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu May 21, 2015 12:20 pm

Sounds like a good reason to stickwith my old licence and not up grade to the" new" photocard ...jeff...

Return to “General Discussion & News”