DVLA changes affecting car hire

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: DVLA changes affecting car hire

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 21, 2015 7:07 pm

I've had a similar email from Green Motion BUT they are asking hirers to supply their National Insurance number because the government's "Share My Licence Website" is still under development. See below.

"On 8th June 2015 the UK Driving Licence Counterpart is being abolished. Most rental companies including Green Motion will still be required to check the endorsements and restrictions which apply to a drivers licence.

The Governments Share My Licence Website is still under development. Until this is finished all clients holding a UK driving licence are required to bring their National Insurance Number in addition to their driving licence card part (and other ID) when collecting their vehicle. Please ensure you remember to do this so staff can conduct the online check and minimise any disruption to you.*

Green Motion will require consent at the point of collection from all clients to carry out an online check of the licence. We will not be asking clients to print off a copy of their counterpart. We need to do this in your presence.

Green Motion will not be charging clients for the online service.

*If you do not have your National Insurance number then we may be able to telephone the DVLA during their opening hours to carry out a verbal check. This will incur a £10.00 fee in line with current terms and conditions."

phillynn

Postby phillynn » Fri May 22, 2015 7:35 am

So now the car hire companies employees will have access to the final piece in the jigsaw to complete identity fraud. Name, address, DOB, driving license No, contact No, in some cases credit card details and now your NI number.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri May 22, 2015 8:57 am

... and if you are starting a two-week holiday they will know that your house is probably unoccupied as well.

The Grocer

Postby The Grocer » Fri May 22, 2015 9:58 am

All this is a total farce....how do they hire to drivers from other EU countries. They just see the plastic license !

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Fri May 22, 2015 10:11 pm

*If you do not have your National Insurance number then we may be able to telephone the DVLA

Since when has DVLA had access to you national insurance number. ???

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 pm

That isn't what it says, Moggieman.

If you give the hire company your NI number they won't do anything. I have no idea why having your NI number satisfies them but apparently it does.

If you DON'T give them your NI number then they may phone the DVLA to find out if you have any endorsements on your licence NOT to find out your NI number. They have always been able to do that. DVLA charges them for the service so they pass the charge onto you. Ultimately it is endorsements that they care about.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat May 23, 2015 9:26 am

The Grocer wrote:All this is a total farce....how do they hire to drivers from other EU countries. They just see the plastic license !

Probably a case of 'do as much as you can' but totally agree that when I hire a car in UK with my Greek driving licence, the company has no idea whether I have points on it or not (I don't, not yet anyway!) and they have no means of checking. Put it down to our Teutonic roots!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat May 23, 2015 9:55 am

After all this discussion, just wondering where I will stand! Never had a plastic licence - never saw the need to get one - so still using my very old green printed one. It has not been queried here in the past, or even checked for endorsements etc.. I expect I shall find out in August when I return for my last couple of months stay.

At least I know my NI number from memory!

Kathleen

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat May 23, 2015 3:13 pm

Like you Kathleen ,I have an old green printed driving licence ,with my old UK address on it ,and last year I went to the UK to visit my uncle in Scotland ,so I thought I may have to hire a car ... so I got on to the DVLC and explianed what I was gonna do and they said as long as the licence is valid ie not expired, and if the hire company are given proof of address in Geece if needed, it was not a problem ...(as it turned out he picked me up from inverness airport )...jeff...

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Presumably a visitor to UK from China has the paper attachment in English, or dont the Chinese hire cars when visiting UK. Its a con because we are a commodity - a few pound here and there just on the press of a PC key. Easy money

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:24 pm

I have just received a similar e-mail to Warwick's, from a UK car rental company.

The DVLA has announced that it will abolish the paper counterpart of the UK driver’s license next month.
So what does this mean for you?
From June 8, UK driving license holders renting a car in the UK will need to use the new online service ‘Share Driving License’.
Those who do not hold a UK driving license are not required to use this service.
What is this service?
This service has been set up to provide validation of a driver’s driving record.
This service replaces the paper counterpart of a driving license and can be used to:
• Create a license check code to share their driving record with someone else, for example a car hire company or employer
• View their own driving record, check what class of vehicle they are eligible to drive, penalty points and disqualifications
How do you use this service?
For car hire, a driver can view and create a one-time passcode by visiting https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-license.
Here they will be asked to submit their:
• Driving license number
• National Insurance number
• Postcode
What are the limitations?
For traveling long distances, it is important to remember that the passcode will only be valid for a maximum period of 72 hours from the point it is generated.
It must be presented and still be valid when picking up any rental vehicle.
Is there another way to get a License Check Code?
Yes. Provided the driver brings their National Insurance number, a car rental provider can help them get the passcode by giving them access to ‘Share Driving License’ when picking up the vehicle.
UK driving license holders hiring vehicles outside of the UK and any drivers holding a non-UK driving license are unaffected by these changes.

After reading it several times, I am still confused.
`a driver can view and create a one-time passcode'
`it is important to remember that the passcode will only be valid for a maximum period of 72 hours from the point it is generated'

WHAT ? is it a one-time passcode or does it only last 72 hrs?

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm

You create a pass code that lasts for 72 hours, if you don't present this at the rental desk within that time you will need to create another.

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:52 pm

So if you rent another car 6 months later do you need to get another one ?
If it is a ONE-TIME passcode how can it expire after 3 days ?
Or does it mean you can only use it one time ?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Most one time pass codes expire if you don't use them. For example many UK banks use a one time pass code to verify transactions. There are different versions but in some cases say you enter an on-line transaction to transfer £x from your account to an account of Mr A. The bank sends you a one time pass code in an SMS. If you don't enter that code into the box on the web page within a matter of minutes it will not work. DVLA have simply chosen an expiry time of 72 hours.

I've just hired a car in the UK with a Greek licence without any problem. My family have just hired a car in France, 2 English licence drivers and my Greek one without a problem. No need for the paper counterfoil. It looks like it is only a problem if you are hiring in the UK with a UK licence.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:04 pm

The DVLA site crashed on Monday from (it seems) people trying to access the codes. I went to the UK on Thursday last week and hired a car from Budget at Gatwick. As this was before the date when things changed, no problem, apart from being asked - for the first time ever - if I was a UK resident (no) and then having to produce my passport.

Return to “General Discussion & News”