DVLA changes affecting car hire

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
SatCure

Re: DVLA changes affecting car hire

Postby SatCure » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:32 pm

altohb wrote:apart from being asked - for the first time ever - if I was a UK resident (no)

But for someone with a UK driving licence associated with a UK address, presumably "yes". Otherwise it gets messy.

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:56 pm

I have a UK licence with a UK address. This issue has been addressed before somewhere on this forum.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Sky News reported the change to the rules and stated that UK licence holders hiring abroad would need to get an authorisation code. I'm not sure they are correct, since foreign hire companies never seem to ask for the paper part, but it is probably better to be safe than sorry.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Kilkis wrote:Sky News reported the change to the rules and stated that UK licence holders hiring abroad would need to get an authorisation code. I'm not sure they are correct, since foreign hire companies never seem to ask for the paper part, but it is probably better to be safe than sorry.

Warwick

I'm sure they are totally incorrect. Can you imagine any foreign car hire company phoning the UK to get clearance?????

We have Greek licences and have used them in several places including the UK. Never been asked for a paper bit so don't see why they would ask for anything from a UK licence holder.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:08 pm

I was being cautious, Bob. Most people hire in a limited number of countries so to generalise is quite dangerous. I went from a paper licence to a Greek licence so I have no experience of a UK plastic licence.

Unless things have changed in Greece they don't really care what you have as long as their backsides are covered. Many years ago my 15 year old son was rented a scooter with no licence at all. The hire company accepted my wife's provisional licence.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:22 pm

I anticipated problems the first time I wanted to rent a car here - 1995 or 96 as I'd forgotten to bring my licence. The rental company accepted a copy (of the plastic part only) faxed from the UK. They refused to give me a copy on the grounds that were I to be stopped the police would be much more suspicious of a copy than my having nothing to show.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:25 am

I'm not sure their advice was well thought through? In Greece it is an offence to not be able to produce your licence if stopped punishable by a fine. I suspect the advice was to cover their backsides. If challenged they could claim that the copy they had on file had been taken from the original, honest guv. He must have lost it after we hired him the car. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for them to hire the car without seeing the original but they didn't want to miss a sale. I'm pretty sure it was the same thinking when they hired my son a scooter. If anything had happened they would simply claim he had presented it as his own licence, I.e. it was him that broke the law not them.

Warwick

The Grocer

Postby The Grocer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:18 pm

So now we have 2nd class EU membership for UK ex-pats holding UK licences?

If we hold a UK licence and want to hire a car in UK we have all this rigmarole to go through,
but if another EU citizen wants to hire a car in UK, they only have to show their plastic photo licence!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 pm

Gosh I'm so glad I 've still got my old paper valid till 2023 licence ,don't have to renue anything cost nothing and is totaly legal .... jeff...

john4d

Postby john4d » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:30 pm

As long as you don't drive through Italy Jeff

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Oh yes , why is that john ? edit Oh I just googled driving in Italy , and it seems you still need an International driving permit ! well I did'nt know that ...in the early days when I came here for the summer and still worked in the UK . I drove through Italy many times in me old Volvo estate loaded up with tools and stuff.... ..I think I still have an out of date International driving permit from the 80's issued by the AA ....jeff....

Franluxor

Postby Franluxor » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Being cautious we arrived June 13th with UK driving licences, both parts plus NI number & a pdf of the DVLA print out on the tablet in case they wanted to see that as it was out of hours. They only took the plastic part and didn't ask for anything else so looks as though nothing much has changed outside UK.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Franluxor wrote:Being cautious we arrived June 13th with UK driving licences, both parts plus NI number & a pdf of the DVLA print out on the tablet in case they wanted to see that as it was out of hours. They only took the plastic part and didn't ask for anything else so looks as though nothing much has changed outside UK.

Of course not! It's just the UK being paranoid about penalty points etc for indigenous drivers. Foreigners going to UK have no problem, likewise Brits coming to the rest of Europe. For once, it's Brits in Britain that are getting the 3rd degree treatment!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Just got back from a week in the UK. Turned up at the Avis desk at Gatwick on 23rd last week with the `DVLA check code' in my procession.
Staff asked me for license, passport and credit card before handing over keys and paperwork for hire car.
I told them that I had come prepared with this (probably many million pound taxpayer funded) check code, only to be told that they had scrapped the necessity to get one.
Is this a record for the incompetent UK rule makers ? - 2 weeks ?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:32 pm

peebee wrote:... only to be told that they had scrapped the necessity to get one.
Is this a record for the incompetent UK rule makers ? - 2 weeks ?

Who is "they"? DVLA or Avis? I guess it is up to any hire company, and the arrangement they have with their insurer, to decide if they want to check on endorsements. I don't think there is any law that says they must check. DVLA haven't imposed a rule. They have simply provided a mechanism to replace the paper licence if hirers want to check.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”