Weather

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paulh

Weather

Postby paulh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:46 am

I can't believe we haven't had this as a topic yet anyway......

Extremely blowy, snowy, sleety, it's great outside! Weather that bites for a change.

Yes you need central heating. an open fire is nice too, double glazing and well fitted windows and doors. Oh and preferably no "indoor water features". You can be snug as a bug in a rug. (Plus of course you need plenty of heating oil and dry wood)

It's not that we don't have bad weather, it's that it isn't sustained and there are very very few days where there is no blue sky at some part of the day...and the sleet is going horizontally past my window as I type....and yes there are frost pockets here too if you are up that early (so I am told)

I just might get all my thermals and wet gear on and wander down to the beach later to see how violent the waves are. Half the fun of that though is when you get back, sitting in front of the fire with a mug of tea.

And in a couple of days it will just be a memory and I'll sit outside in the sun having a coffee and reading my book.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:55 am

Just checked the forecast and temperatures over there...congratulations! :)

Same temperature (1C) as us in the frozen North, difference is we have glorious sunshine to go with it! A thick frost to scrape off the car as I set off for work this morning, but otherwise the bonus of yet another a crisp dry winter day, it has been like this for the last couple of weeks which cheers you up immensely. Almost a pleasure coming out early this morning, at least it is now light at 8am.

Kathleen

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:03 pm

I've just had a look in your neck of the woods but didn't see too many people on the beach. http://www.west-crete.com/dailypics/cre ... 17-08.shtm

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Believe it or not Jean, they were actually surfing off the beach at Tynemouth last weekend :shock:

Kathleen

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:58 pm

I did go for that short walk down by the beach and how shall we put it....it was a little extreme. I'd taken my camera but the waves are out to the north and the sleet is coming in horizontally from the north which means generally you had about 2 seconds to take a photo before the lens got sleet all over it.

Those pictures along with some from mid Jan when I took the dogs up the reverse direction of the monastery to Stavros path. Plus some other bits are here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56856851@N00/

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Disappointed that no snow settled near home, but we are near sea level. The nearest thing to white stuff we had was a shower of hail stones which covered the cars for a few minutes.

Forecast overnight for Hania is minus 1 deg C according to www.accuweather.com, with a 'real feel' of minus 10

Info for those with kids - all the schools in Crete will be closed for the day tomorrow due to the bad weather. (No matter that there is no snow in many places!!). Aahhhh Ellada..

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 am

I was told one-time; that the reason all those plastic pipes are overground, was because it does'nt freeze in Crete. So what happens to these pipes when it freezes :?
Brian.

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:56 am

It is hell though if you do not have a well sealed warm little house. It is snowing here (near to Agios Nikolaos) it is difficult to keep upright as the streets in the village are so wet and slippery. The locals and I are very cold and miserable. It may look pretty for a while but damage is being caused to the citrus trees and other agricultural activities. Rose-coloured spectacles are everywhere or in certain quarters. Reality is another matter entirely.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:55 am

Rose-coloured spectacles are everywhere or in certain quarters.

I doubt that either Caroline, Paul or I have rose-tinted spectacles.

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:58 am

I'm quite sure you don't, in fact I know you don't. I mentioned no names did I? I just get cross when people go on about how romantic it is when some of the very old people here are in serious distress.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:05 am

But it IS romantic. In fact one of the reasons I love Crete is because it is such an extreme place.
As for the old Cretans, I am sure that they will cope with it, they have seen worse and, honestly, the current weather is nothing so out of the ordinary. It happens every few years and it passes quickly.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:12 pm

This was taken in our olive grove on 14 Feb 2004 at about 11 a.m. when some of the previous day's snow had already melted so the last couple of days has been nothing special. It has felt a bit cooler this week, though.

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:16 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've been around here many years and I'm not exactly young, and I hate snow and being cold wherever I am. My shoes are leaking and my feet are wet and frozen, my roof is leaking and there is a pile of wet slush in my bedroom and an icy gale coming through my broken window. So I will continue to curse and swear by myself and long for the sunshine and a bit of warmth which hopefully will be back soon :-)

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Pleased to see you have retained a sense of humour Louise, keep smiling and try to stay warm! :wink:

Kathleen

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Well, we had frost this morning in London (East end).

The sun is now out so hopefully it'll heat up by lunchtime!! Wish I was in Crete with the snow...
Living in Crete!!

Return to “General Discussion & News”