Can anyone explain please?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Retired in Crete

Can anyone explain please?

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:21 pm

We live in times of global warming. The increase in carbon dioxide, from the burning of fossil fuels, is giving us "the greenhouse effect" and if we don't take drastic measures we will soon all fry.

So can anyone explain to my simple brain what the "white stuff" outside my door is and why it is there?

John

Diesel Doris

Postby Diesel Doris » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:39 pm

John

I can't explain why the 'white stuff' is there.

But I do recall you live in the Kalo Horio/Istron environs? This is so unusual for the east end of the island - so please let us know how much white stuff, has it lingered, do you have any photos etc. Wish I was there to see it! :cry:

Caroline

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:36 pm

cocaine?

allan

Postby allan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:51 pm

John, Please don`t start this again...

Snow comes and goes here in Greece, as does the very hot weather, as does the rain, as does the red dust...

Happens all the time, all over the world....Global Warming...no not to my simple brain, just cycles of weather.

I can remember when I was a child 50 odd years ago, having baking hot summers in the UK and playing in the local stream to cool off. No thoughts of Global warming...

Remember having snow up to my waist, no thoughts of Global warming.

Ok One good thing was to remove the Smog , nothing to do with Global Warming just burning the wrong type of "Fossil Fuel"

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Diesel Doris wrote:John

I can't explain why the 'white stuff' is there.

But I do recall you live in the Kalo Horio/Istron environs? This is so unusual for the east end of the island - so please let us know how much white stuff, has it lingered, do you have any photos etc. Wish I was there to see it! :cry:

Caroline

We have had a lot of rain this week so the roads and ground are very wet so the snow has only settled on cars etc. A table and chairs on our terrace have a liberal covering. I threw a snowball in the centre of Ag Nik this afternoon!

John
Last edited by Retired in Crete on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:24 pm

allan wrote:
John, Please don`t start this again...

Allan,

I am not trying to start the debate again, I am just trying to improve my knowledge.

During the debate I was clearly told "I am afraid it is you that do not understand the mechanisms involved." This was followed by a explanation and why it is inevitable..................except that it has only snowed here twice in the past fifty years, in 2004 & now.

I am just puzzled!

John

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:06 am

John,

If you really do want to view the counter argument to Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" then you might want to try this -

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/ha4PoKY/ ... ng-Swindle

It purports gives the other side of the global warming argument.

Jon

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:24 am

Topdriller wrote:.... the other side of the global warming argument.
There is no argument. Global warming happens; it's been happening for millenia, alternating with cooling periods and it will go on doing so. The only argument is whether or not we are making a significant contribution which, personally, I don't believe we are.

"Climate change" is now an industry and too many people have invested reputations, too much money and are in receipt of too many subsidies and grants to admit they could be wrong. Forty years ago the bandwagon was the coming Ice Age.

I'm all in favour of looking after the environment but the Global Warming Brigade have deliberately mixed the two things together. To listen to some of the more hysterical proponents of GW you'd thing tossing a sweet wrapper on the ground will cause us all to melt. It's b%$&*#ks.

allan

Postby allan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:28 am

John,

Chania temperature records.

February 1913 72 deg F
1967 75 deg F

1936 Minus 15 deg F
1978 Minus 19 deg F

So when did this Global warming thing start?

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:56 am

I seem to recall that Britain / Northern Europe has had several mini ice ages over the last 1000 or so years and as recently as the 1800's the Thames regularly froze, people skated on it etc.

There's little doubt we - mankind - contribute to pollution with carbon gasses but whether our contribution will hasten the rise in ocean levels and wipe out the major coastal populations of the world is still up for debate.

I'd agree with Fillipos i.e. there are a lot of scientific reputations on the line and politics and the fear of fear plays as much a part in this as it does with the War on Terror.

Jon

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:15 am

1936 Minus 15 deg F
1978 Minus 19 deg F

I just checked that with my calculator (not to good with Fahrenheit) and it works out at respectively -26C and -28C. Surely that can't be right for Chania.

AFAIK the lowest recorded temperature was -1C on 13th and 14th February 2004.

Or is your "Chania" the prefecture of Chania (which of course includes the White Mountains)?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:01 pm

You are experiencing weather, John. Weather is highly variable and always will be. Because of that variability we cannot perceive in our everyday life the effects of global warming. Also, there is nothing to say that the weather at any one place at any one time will be warmer because of global warming. For example IF, and yes it is an IF, global warming caused the Atlantic circulation patterns to turn off then the UK would experience much colder winters than it has done in recent past. Even then you would probably still find years where it was colder in the UK before the circulation turned off than after. If you average over several years before and several years after then you will see a difference.

In general global warming means that there is more energy available in the atmosphere to drive weather systems so on average those weather systems will become more extreme. Probably the biggest risk to the UK is wind closely followed by flooding. Probably the biggest risk in Crete is desertification. The risks vary from place to place.

I doubt very much if things will happen as fast as the more extreme protagonists predict but I do believe they will happen. You can rest peaceful in the knowledge that when people get round to saying what total a***holes our generation were for doing nothing we won't be around to hear them.

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:11 pm

as recently as the 1800's the Thames regularly froze, people skated on it etc.

Jon[/quote]

you have to be a bit careful with this one

At those times the Thames was a broad meandering, slower running, heavily silted river with much more favourable conditions for icing over. Plus the city nowadays produces and retains much more heat than it used to.

Its not totally down to colder weather.

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Paulh,

You are quite correct - the building of the new London Bridge (John Rennie 1831) meant the Thames could not freeze over as it once had but to call the Thames slow and meandering is not quite correct. It has always been tidal and always had tidal surges.

Also, Western Europe experienced a general cooling of the climate between the years 1150 and 1460 and a very cold climate between 1560 and 1850 that brought dire consequences. The colder weather impacted agriculture, health, economics, social strife, emigration, and even art and literature.

The above had nothing to do with human pollution or industrialisation. In fact, the last "big freeze" on the Thames was the winter of 1895 when ice flows were seen although the water did not freeze over as it had in the early 1800s. They also had cameras then!

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/ser ... tance.html

Jon

andheath

Postby andheath » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:11 pm

John wrote:
I threw a snowball in the centre of Ag Nik this afternoon!

So that was you was it. Nearly took my eye out.

p.s. look what you have started again!
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Return to “General Discussion & News”