Help!!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ipmcrete

Help!!

Postby ipmcrete » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:44 pm

No here's the bugger. I need to pay my annual life insurance payment to my UK insurers. Piraeus wont let me. I have a friend currently in the UK, who is willing to make the bank transfer for me. The insurance company are now trying to find a way of accepting a third party payment because of money laundering. I have only Greek bank accounts, and don't want the policy to lapse after 26 years. Any ideas?

Kilkis

Re: Help!!

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:56 pm

You could ask if an affidavit sworn by a Notary Public would help them to accept that it is genuinely not money laundering. You could show your bank statements to the Notary Public proving that you have the money in your Greek bank but cannot transfer it because of Greek bank controls. That could be attested to in the affidavit. The Notary Public could then talk to your friend by phone and verify that your friend is making the payment as a temporary loan and that he will be repaid as soon as the controls are relaxed. As an example:

I, Notary's name, being a Notary Public in the Nomos of Chania, Crete, Greece with registration number, Notary's number, hereby attest that:

1 I have been shown the renewal demand for life insurance forwarded to Mr A for the amount of £nnn, Reference number xxx.
    2 I have inspected the banks statements of Mr A and I can confirm that he has sufficient funds in his bank account to make such a payment for the amount demanded.
    3 I confirm that under capital controls currently in force in Greece it is impossible for Mr A to make this payment as payment of foreign invoices is restricted.
    4 I have spoken to Mr B who is resident at Address in the UK and he has confirmed to me that he is prepared to make the payment from his own account as a temporary loan to Mr A.
    5 I confirm that Mr A will repay the said amount to Mr B as soon as foreign payment controls are relaxed

Given the above points it is clear that the payment by Mr B in order to ensure continuity of the policy of Mr A, which has been renewed annually continuously for 26 years is a genuine financial transaction.

Signature Date

Details and Stamp.

I'm not sure if a Notary Public would do this for you or if the insurance company would accept it but it's worth a try. Good luck, Mike

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Will the insurers accept a cheque drawn on a UK bank? I don't see how this could possibly be construed as "money laundering".

FlatEric

Postby FlatEric » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi. Would it be possible to send a covering letter to your friend then get him to forward it to the insurers with Post Office postal orders to the required amount? No bank details needed and no opportunity for money laundering.

Hope you get sorted.

Stuart

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:26 pm

I like that idea, Stuart.
As my dad used to say (although never to me) "I bet you have brains that you haven't used, yet!"

ipmcrete

Postby ipmcrete » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:53 am

Thank you Stuart, Warwick and Martin. The insurers took pity on me and my plight, and said my friend could transfer to a special bank account with them in this hopefully one off circumstance. This went through swimmingly yesterday. I can now start glueing my hair back into place.

ipmcrete

Postby ipmcrete » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:54 am

Thank you Stuart, Warwick and Martin. The insurers took pity on me and my plight, and said my friend could transfer to a special bank account with them in this hopefully one off circumstance. This went through swimmingly yesterday. I can now start glueing my hair back into place.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:50 am

ipmcrete wrote:Thank you Stuart, Warwick and Martin. The insurers took pity on me and my plight, and said my friend could transfer to a special bank account with them in this hopefully one off circumstance. This went through swimmingly yesterday. I can now start glueing my hair back into place.

An insurance company with a "special bank account"? Hope that "special bank account" is not used for anything illegal :lol:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:13 am

ipmcrete wrote:Thank you Stuart, Warwick and Martin. The insurers took pity on me and my plight, and said my friend could transfer to a special bank account with them in this hopefully one off circumstance. This went through swimmingly yesterday. I can now start glueing my hair back into place.

Will have to look twice now to recognise you Mike! Good news and pleased at the result. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

ipmcrete

Postby ipmcrete » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:50 pm

I had a phone call today from Piraeus bank, in answer to my email of 20th July, to see if I wished to pursue my payment to my life insurance policy, due on 27th July. I adopted a false voice, and told them that Mr.Bennett had died, and that his insurers would now be seeking compensation in the sum of 250,000 GBP. I was told that our conversation was being recorded, so I then switched to an Indian accent, and proceeded to give them advice on how to remove the virus from their computers. Then, bugger me, I woke up. The phone call was real though!

Danny

Postby Danny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:17 am

I had the same problem, all I did was I send a friend the notice for the renewal and he simply walked into the receiving company to make the payment in cash. Identification wasn't required and the transaction was done within five minutes.

Return to “General Discussion & News”