Tax Confusion

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
RogerC

Tax Confusion

Postby RogerC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

We're about to own a property in Crete for the first time and I'm confused about the various taxes and bills we will need to pay.

Elec & water - presume we just get bills for these that we pay?
Property and Council Tax - do we get written bills for these or how do we find out what we are due to pay ?

Sorry, very basic questions I know but appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Roger
Roger

ScotinCrete

Re: Tax Confusion

Postby ScotinCrete » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:27 am

More details from others but
Electric and Water will be as you say billed direct
"Council Tax" will be paid via you Electric bill
Property Tax will be via ENFIA - personally our accountant gets the assesment and we then pay via the bank.

If your not going to be resident then payment via direct debit and/or e-billing may be best.

First thing is to get a good accountant.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 am

I recommend you read the book immediately:
http://www.livingincrete.net/book.html

It could save you money and heartache. For example, as soon as you have a tax number, you are legally committed to submitting an annual tax return. Failure to do so on time results in a fine, which will be considerably more than the price of the book.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 am

Assuming the Kokkino Chorio you quote as your location is in Chania Nomos I would recommend using George Atsalakis in central Chania, opposite the tax office, as your accountant. If you have a tax number you will need to interact with the Taxisnet on-line tax system and unless you are fluent in Greek to degree standard and have a deep understanding of Greek tax law I would avoid doing that yourself. Let an accountant do it for you.

email atsalak at otenet dot gr
web page http://www.cretanaccountant.gr

If you click on the middle tab, Tax liabilities in Greece for non Greek citizens, there is tons of information.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:34 am

I endorse Warwick's recommendation. George has been our accountant for 13+ years and we've never had a tax query. (I know that's tempting Providence.)

RogerC

Postby RogerC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks for the replies and guidance. I have signed up with Georgios Atsalakis so will contact him and paying via direct debit certainly sounds like the way to go.

Looking forward to starting our adventures in Crete end of August (frequent visitors so know the area but loads to learn)
Roger

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:42 am

You can certainly use direct debit for electricity and OTE. Whether you can use it for water is variable. I can south west of Chania but lots of people in other areas can't. I don't think you can use direct debit for either income tax or property tax. You can use on-line payment for these so it is worth having an account with a bank that has a decent web banking site in English. I think you can also pay George, either cash or bank transfer, and he will pay the tax for you.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Just as a matter of interest, our accountant confirmed this morning that there is still no news on the ENFIA Property Tax front - and she doesn't expect anything much before September/October this year. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:58 am

http://www.chaniapost.eu/2015/08/19/enf ... n-october/

And still another broken promise by Syriza!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:25 am

Again the logic defeats me. The creditors tell Syriza that they must raise exactly the same amount of property tax as last year as part of the bailout deal BUT Syriza have broken the promise?

Syriza tried to help ordinary Greek citizens by challenging the whole basis of the bailout deals. Their arguments for why the bailout programme was wrong were extremely accurate. They lost. Virtually everything that happened in the last five years under the ND-PASOK coalition was dictated by the Troika. Everything that is happening now and in the future is dictated by the creditors. Greece does not have a democratic government. It is operating under a foreign dictatorship.

To my mind Syriza have done three things wrong. Firstly they told the Greek electorate that they would stop austerity and remain in the Euro. They should have known that was impossible. Whether they said it because they believed it or because they knew it would help to get them elected I have no idea. Probably a mixture. Secondly they were totally incompetent negotiators. That is hardly surprising since they didn't have a single person in their ranks who had any experience of negotiating with EU institutions.

Overriding both those mistakes, however, they failed to be patient. They forced the general election by refusing to elect a president. They should have allowed the ND-PASOK coalition to complete the existing bailout programme. Most of the damage had already been done. There would have been very little additional pain from completing the programme and the time-scale was relatively short. ND-PASOK would have carried on agreeing to things, taking the next bailout tranche and then fudging them so little would actually change. If they came to power after Greece had exited the bailout programme they would not have needed to enter immediate negotiations with the creditors. They would have been free to make the changes to the administration and the way Greek society operates that they were committed to do and which we all know ND or PASOK never would. They could have made a real difference. I would guess that they thought if the coalition was able to exit the bailout programme it would be harder to defeat them in the election. I think that was a huge error and I blame them for that.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”