Bye bye Tsipras

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Ray

Bye bye Tsipras

Postby Ray » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Not looking good for Tsipras tonight...........looks like he might resign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34007859

Ray

bobscott

Re: Bye bye Tsipras

Postby bobscott » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:49 pm

If you are right, then

Greetings to the new Drachma and utter chaos.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:03 pm

He said he would seek the vote of the Greek people to continue his government's programme.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:38 pm

He's resigned. Sigh!

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:40 am

It makes no difference he will simply be up there for election with the rest of the EU arse lickers. Hes doing a John Major ... are you with me or not ?? When you dont have choice ..... whats the point >

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:05 am

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:22 am

Best man for the job in my opinion, hope the Greeks don't lose him. Who else could lead the country better?
Get Brexit done.

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:13 am

Best man? Well, what did he promise the Greek people and what did he actually achieve?

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:40 am

Good politicians learn not to promise too much and then to compromise. If Tsipras survives he will have learnt a valuable lesson and temper his promises. I for one wish him well. :)
Dave H

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 am

Whether by accident or design, the left wing has now fractured, meaning Tsipras will probably get re-elected and the bail-out programme continues:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34014083

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

moved 2 crete wrote:Good politicians learn not to promise too much and then to compromise. If Tsipras survives he will have learnt a valuable lesson and temper his promises. I for one wish him well. :)

Can you inform me about some of the compromises he achieved?

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:04 pm

He's resigned to avoid losing a no confidence vote (having lost the left wing of Syriza in the recent votes) and also, I guess, calculates his chances of re-election are greater before the latest austerity measures kick in.

Give him a break! At the least he's raised the unsustainability of current debt levels as a genuine matter for debate - the old government got nowhere near doing that.

It's a horrible job and I couldn't do it. Good luck to him.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:37 pm

It will be interesting to see where he gets his new candidates from to replace the rebels and any others that leave Syriza but don't join the new group.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm

As far as the rational and thinking reader of the Guardian goes, I would agree with you Clio, and like (I think!/hope!) you I want him to continue. However, the people who will vote are not rational, not too good at thinking things through and I only hope that they do realise that Tsipras is their only chance. The other lot have had their go and screwed it up, and at least Tsipras has, as the Guardian report has it, internationalised the plight of Greece instead of leaving it to the cosy confines of Europe. Everything is now happening on a much bigger stage and the machinations of the 'Institutions' are publicised world-wide. That might deter some of the excesses of the past. Who knows? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:27 pm

I think Tsipras knows exactly what he's doing -aiming to strengthen his mandate while dealing with the interecine dissidence at the same time. There doesn't seem to have been an opinion poll for a while - though I'm sure that new ones are being conducted as we speak - but Syriza's ratings at the end of last month were a pretty comfortable 40+%.

The new party is going to steal some of those brownie points of course. But as the Guardian link suggests, and Kathimerini agrees, one of the reasons for rushing into the election is to prevent Popular Unity getting its act together.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/200785/arti ... -explainer

In the absence of a credible opposition Syriza is going to win the battle, but as for the war....they'll likely still need a coalition, in greater numbers than hitherto, and Lafazanis sure isn't going to be playing ball. So Alexis needs to win a lot more converts from the other existing parties, or it's going to be a numbers game.

Return to “General Discussion & News”