Good Beef

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ipmcrete

Re: Good Beef

Postby ipmcrete » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:44 pm

Should you ever have cause to either pass (As I do sometimes), or be detained in Chania Prison, on the road to Omalos, you may catch site of their dairy herd. I did think I was halucinating, seeing not only cows, but Jersey browns. The butcher in Kalimitsi Alxandrou had a herd of Fresians not so long ago. There ARE cows in Crete!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:24 am

ipmcrete is right, Sure there are some cows on Crete,a small herd here in the Kolimbari,Spilia area our butcher in Skoutelenos is known to breed and slaughter his own beef, it is hung and he also has it in his big fridge, not cut meat on display for the flies to breed on as in some butchers.
Dave H

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:59 pm

I just want to say a belated thank you to all who posted here.

My discovery.... the butcher in A&B on the Kissamos Rd just outside Chania had a mean looking Black Angus joint from the USA, good looking fillet steak as well.

I bought 3 huge "Kontra" steaks for about €12 that were juicy and delicious on my BBQ just before Christmas.

DRAPANOSJANE

Postby DRAPANOSJANE » Mon May 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Yes I agree totally. Jon the butcher and his lovely wife Sheila supply top quality meat. After all remember the saying " You get what you pay for " :D

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue May 10, 2016 7:53 am

We normally buy our beef from a butcher in Chania but last week bought it from A&B, it was excellent and cheaper by about 10% than what we usually pay. The chap behind the counter told us it was imported in from France and has been hung for a long time. He told us that much of the beef sold in Crete is purchased from a big meat importer in Souda and that the majority of butchers within western Crete buy from that source,

Return to “General Discussion & News”