IKA

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Danny

IKA

Postby Danny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 am

Was talking to a chap I know who told me that he'd renewed his IKA book at the offices on Souda rd, he went on to say that now you only need to take your book with you and that you no longer need to show passports and all the other documentation usually required, can anyone confirm that this is correct ?

Kilkis

Re: IKA

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:14 am

The last time I did it at the Souda Road IKA office, about 2 years ago, I simply handed over my book. Nothing else. I know some people have been asked for other information but that may depend on individual circumstances and/or what they have/have not stored on record. What IKA keeps on record seems to vary from time to time. If one person has already submitted a new piece of information in the past he/she will only be asked for his/her book. Another person who has not yet submitted that information may well be asked for it.

Last year I used KEP, because the ticket situation at Souda was ridiculous. If you weren't in about the first 20 people you didn't get one and to be that far forward you had to arrive around 6 am. As far as I am concerned there is only one 6 o-clock in the day and that one isn't it. At KEP they always seem to need your passport and your AFM whatever you are asking them to do.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for that Kilkis.

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Whether IKA needs your passport and other documentation depends on the information that is already in their system. E.g. if you are/were working in Greece and paying social security, they have all the informations required on record. If you are insured via the UK , they usually need all the documents every years as something could have changed without them knowing.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:36 pm

While I agree with your first statement, Roussa, my IKA has been on the basis of an S1 form from the UK since 2012 and I have only ever had to give my book so I am not sure it is possible to generalise in the way that you do in your second statement.

I must admit I do tend to take every document that I think might be relevant but I was never asked for any of them at IKA.

Warwick

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Warwick, that's what IKA told me. But I sometimes think it all depends if they ( or somebody in the queue) know you or not :wink:
Happened a few times to me when I went to an office to renew or change something and they started to ask for all the papers. The moment a Greek citizen greeted me and started talking to me they usually forgot about all the papers and just did the renewal.

As you do I always take all documents with me - just in case.

jeansy

Postby jeansy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:45 am

Does anyone know if the IKA office in Heraklion are renewing the books now. Had a terrible time last year going back and forth due to the queues in February.

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:54 am

Was talking about this with someone a few days ago, is it not possible to do this online now?
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:16 pm

STEVE.W wrote:Was talking about this with someone a few days ago, is it not possible to do this online now?

Greeks can do it on-line but it looks like ex-pats who get IKA through an S1 form cannot. At least that was the situation last year. The lady at KEP tried to do ours on-line but couldn't. I think Greek pensioners don't have to renew at all, only those working and making contributions. Again it doesn't seem to apply to ex-pat pensioners.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:04 am

Went to the IKA offices on Souda Rd this morning, was there at 7-45am and when they opened got number ticket number 27, by 8-30 both my wife's and my own IKA books were renewed, no documentation is now required to renew these books. The lady behind the counter told me that many Greeks were renewing on line hence the smaller queue's

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:21 pm

Danny are you working and paying IKA or do you qualify for IKA from an S1 form (UK pensioner etc) ?

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:29 am

For the last two years I have renewed my IKA card at the IKA office in Agios Nikolaos. My card comes courtesy of the S1form. I did not need to provide documentation as my folder was quickly (!) found with all the relevant photocopies, passport etc. I did need to complete the usual form re no other existing health insurance coverage. I keep a copy of this completed form so just have to copy the info and sign it. Of course I will continue to take all ID documents with me just in case! As I have said before....try to pick a day with horrible weather and the line ups will be almost non existent.
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

Danny

Postby Danny » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:37 am

Caroline, My wife and I are both retired and past the UK retirement age by a few years, we have never worked in Greece. Previously I've taken various documentation with me when renewing the IKA books but had been told that now all this documentation wasn't needed which was confirmed correct last Tuesday. Must admit I was a little apprehensive when waiting but when my turn came and handed the books over I just got a little smile, the lady recorded the numbers from our IKA books into the PC and two minutes later I was away.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Renewed IKA books this morning at Souda Avenue office. Arrived 08:00, ticket 019, joined queue. After five minutes Greek woman sitting next to my wife pressed ticket 011 on her, just after 007 had been called: on our way out 08:20.

Were asked for nothing except the IKA books, no ID, tipota. Why the lady passed on ticket 011 we can't work out as she stayed in the queue with a ticket in the high 20s. We thanked her profusely.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:05 pm

filippos wrote:Renewed IKA books this morning at Souda Avenue office. Arrived 08:00, ticket 019, joined queue. After five minutes Greek woman sitting next to my wife pressed ticket 011 on her, just after 007 had been called: on our way out 08:20.

Were asked for nothing except the IKA books, no ID, tipota. Why the lady passed on ticket 011 we can't work out as she stayed in the queue with a ticket in the high 20s. We thanked her profusely.

Everyone deserves a bit of luck now and again Phil! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”