IKA

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Re: IKA

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Well, we did go mid-week, mid-month.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:48 pm

I agree that improves your chances, Filippos, and it is my philosophy as well, but a certain amount of luck is still needed. A friend and I did the same thing in January. Arrived about 7:40 to find a very short queue. Got a relatively low number ticket at 8:00. Everything was rocketing along and it looked like we would be out by 8:30. Suddenly both windows that were open ground to a halt. I don't know what the customer at each window was trying to do but in both cases it took 30 minutes. That pushed our exit back to 9:00. Still not bad by IKA standards but frustrating.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 pm

KEP in the court square want passport and residents permit!!!!!!

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:52 pm

How many times does it have to be repeated ? Take your old IKA book to the offices on Souda road, pass them to the lady at the counter and she will renew them immediately without any other paperwork, couldn't be easier- simple. Forget KEP just do it and end of !!!!!!!!!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:20 pm

That's absolutely right. Last week we went to the Souda Avenue IKA office. We arrived no earlier than 08:00 and even that "late" we could have parked in the office car park and there were plenty of kerbside places close to the entrance. On arrival we received ticket number 19 then got lucky when a Greek lady pressed ticket 11 on us. Walked out with renewed books at 08:20. No paperwork/Passport nada.

If there's nowhere close to park there's a Chinese shop about 80m past the office on the opposite side where there's a big parking area. It was completely empty.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:21 pm

filippos wrote:That's absolutely right. Last week we went to the Souda Avenue IKA office. We arrived no earlier than 08:00 and even that "late" we could have parked in the office car park and there were plenty of kerbside places close to the entrance. On arrival we received ticket number 19 then got lucky when a Greek lady pressed ticket 11 on us. Walked out with renewed books at 08:20. No paperwork/Passport nada.

If there's nowhere close to park there's a Chinese shop about 80m past the office on the opposite side with a big parking area in front. It was completely empty.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 am

It doesn't always work out that way, Danny/Filippos. This time it took me 80 minutes at Souda IKA. I have also been when it only took me 30 minutes. Equally there have been times when it took me almost 3 hours. I have only done it once at KEP and it took about ten minutes. On the downside I did have to visit twice but to me that is better than sitting around waiting.

I have used KEP to transfer ownership of two vehicles, one selling and one buying, and I have also exchanged one directly at the vehicle centre, buying in that case. KEP was easier and they also sorted out a major problem where one vehicle apparently had a lien on the ownership. I am absolutely certain I would not have been able to resolve that problem myself.

I originally transferred from a UK driving licence to a Greek licence myself at a driving centre. Since, I have renewed it twice using KEP. Again the process using KEP was much simpler.

I am completely flexible but I do like an easy life and often KEP makes life much easier.

Typically when using a KEP enabled procedure you are going to leave some document with KEP and then get it back at some time in the future. KEP take a photocopy of your passport and keep it with their file. When you go to collect the document they can use your passport to check your identity against that logged when the procedure was initiated even if it is a completely different person who deals with it. Even if you are just signing a document in front of KEP they need to check your identity so needing to present a passport is not unusual. Since you are supposed to carry your passport at all times I don't see this as a problem.

I was asked by KEP for my Residence Certificate when registering change of ownership of a vehicle and when renewing my driving licence but since these procedures are supposed to require a Residence Certificate anyway that again is not surprising. I was not asked for it the one time I renewed my IKA book at KEP. Since you need an IKA book to get a Residence Certificate, unless you have some other form of health insurance, it seems a little odd if you need a Residence Certificate to renew an IKA book?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Yep, things do vary. For three years we renewed IKA books through KEP, once at Courthouse Sq and twice through Souda KEP. Some people don't like being without the book and KEP offices keep them throughout the process (I'm not sure why they need to now as the system seems to require only the AMKA number) so you lose the book for a couple of weeks. The only reason I can think of is that KEP can't access the IKA records).

Being without the books doesn't worry us. Our plan (plan?) was to stop at IKA en route to Xania but, if the queue was long, go to Souda KEP on the way home.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:52 pm

I don't think KEP keep the books. As far as I know, for ex-pats, KEP passes the books on to IKA where they are renewed by IKA staff. My understanding from talking to the KEP staff is that the delay is getting the books back from IKA. In the case of Greek citizens, who are able to renew on-line, KEP will also do that for them if they are not able to do it themselves. In that case KEP does it immediately while they are there and gives them the book back, I believe. They attempted to do that for me last year but couldn't.

I had to go to IKA on another matter so my plan was similar to yours, Filippos. See how long the queue was. Since it was short I renewed my book there. If it had been long I would have completed my other business and gone to the KEP office on the road at the side of the large IN.KA supermarket near IKA.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Yes, Warwick, my previous post was poorly worded. Of course KEP don't keep the books but in practise one 'loses' the book for a couple of weeks. Last year at Souda KEP we were informed (without having asked the question) that the receipt they issued would be accepted in lieu of the book up to 28 Feb. The only potential problem I could envisage that notes in the book wouldn't be available for the period they were out of our hands. Fortunately, we're healthy enough to thing that was, for us, very low risk.

Return to “General Discussion & News”