UK drivers licence renewal

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
YoMo2

Re: UK drivers licence renewal

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

I understand that you were obliged to apply for a Greek licence because you were unable to get a medical done in the UK, but why could you not simply apply for a Greek licence? I don't understand this certificate you refer to. What exactly is it? Did the Greek authorities require it?

Also, does your Greek licence allow you to drive a motorhome over the 3500 kg limit?

Sorry to sound like the Spanish Inquisition. Just curious as it's something I may need to go through.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:18 am

I can guarantee that if you have a valid UK licence with plenty of time to run you can exchange it for a Greek licence without any paperwork from DVLA. I have done it. You must have a Residence Permit that was issued at least 95 days before you apply for the Greek licence.

I am not sure what the situation is regarding driving a motorhome on a Greek licence but in general you lose all the extra categories, such as C1, C1E, D1 and D1E, that you get automatically on a UK licence. If a motorhome comes under one of these categories then I believe you can't drive it. In Greece you have to obtain a "professional" licence to drive vehicles in these categories and that involves taking an extra test. A professional licence has to be renewed periodically, every 5 years I think, with compulsory eye test and medical even if you are under 65. I'm not sure what happens to it when you turn 65. If you drive a company vehicle and you are not the owner of the company you also need a professional licence, even if it is a vehicle that you would be able to drive without a professional licence if you owned it, e.g. a car.

Warwick

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:43 am

The requirement for the certificate from the DVLA was because they had retained my English licence, therefore in order to obtain a Greek licence I would have had to provide a valid English licence, because I would not have been able to do so, the DVLA provided a certificate to prove that they retained it and I was the holder of an English valid licence that they had retained on the grounds I have explained, hope this clears up your query YoMo2.
Dave H

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:04 pm

moved 2 crete wrote:The requirement for the certificate from the DVLA was because they had retained my English licence, therefore in order to obtain a Greek licence I would have had to provide a valid English licence, because I would not have been able to do so, the DVLA provided a certificate to prove that they retained it and I was the holder of an English valid licence that they had retained on the grounds I have explained, hope this clears up your query YoMo2.

Thanks, got it now.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Kilkis wrote:..............I am not sure what the situation is regarding driving a motorhome on a Greek licence but in general you lose all the extra categories, such as C1, C1E, D1 and D1E, that you get automatically on a UK licence. If a motorhome comes under one of these categories then I believe you can't drive it..........

Cheers, Warwick. You say, "in general".... Does this imply there might be some way to retain C1 and C1E categories?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:13 pm

As far as I know only by taking the test for a professional licence. A bit like an HGV test but without the HG part if that makes any sense. I think most people in Greece who need an HGV licence take the professional licence test first and then go on to take the additional test for articulated vehicles. You could go and ask the person at the centre that renews Greek licences but it might be better to go and talk to a driving school. It's a pretty safe bet that you will only pass the test if you pay a bribe and that needs to be done through a driving school. A tester is not going to accept a bribe directly from a complete stranger, especially a foreigner, but I doubt if he will pass you without one. I was told about one group of youths who took the test at the same time. One of them could drive really well and decided not to pay the bribe, because he thought he could pass without. He failed and all the others passed. I wonder why there are so many bad drivers on Greek roads?

I don't know the details but someone I had previously worked with in the north was stopped by the police. He was going round restocking vending machines in a small company van or estate car, not sure which. He was booked for not producing a "valid" licence, since his car licence didn't qualify him to drive a company car. He went and had the medical and eye test and then took the test for the professional licence. When he went to court he had a "valid" licence so no further action was taken. That's how I discovered that the rules here differ from the UK.

Incidentally while my friend was being tested for his professional licence there were six people being tested for articulated vehicles. That simply involved backing an artic round some cones. Not one person succeeded. All six got their licence.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Great stuff, Warwick. Made my day.

Looks like I'll be sticking with UK licence as long as I can, even if it means bending a few rules. I really don't want to give up the C1 and C1E categories if I can avoid it.

Andrew

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:30 pm

I have just looked at the UK Gov website for renewing my UK driving licence at 70 and it says that you have to do it using your Government Gateway ID.
What the **** is that? Anybody know?
Daisy

margarita

Postby margarita » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Daisy wrote:I have just looked at the UK Gov website for renewing my UK driving licence at 70 and it says that you have to do it using your Government Gateway ID.
What the **** is that? Anybody know?
Daisy

I have a Government Gateway ID but I don't remember why or how.

Look at this page

http://www.gateway.gov.uk/

If you have the required ID you enter it, if not you can sign up.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 am

This may not be relevant to Margarita, but it may interest others. I'm pretty sure that the online application is a simplest case type scenario. Your licence will be renewed but you will get back only the A and B categories on your new licence. You will lose full motorbike entitlement and C1/C1E even if you had them before.

If you want to retain those categories, assuming you had them previously, you need to renew by post. In the case of C1/C1E this will involve sending a doctor's certificate too. DVLA are supposed to send out a postal renewal form 90 days before your 70th birthday, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:07 am

YoMo2 wrote:This may not be relevant to Margarita, but it may interest others. I'm pretty sure that the online application is a simplest case type scenario. Your licence will be renewed but you will get back only the A and B categories on your new licence. You will lose full motorbike entitlement...

I'm not sure I understand this, Andrew? Category A is the full motorbike entitlement?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Kilkis wrote:
YoMo2 wrote:This may not be relevant to Margarita, but it may interest others. I'm pretty sure that the online application is a simplest case type scenario. Your licence will be renewed but you will get back only the A and B categories on your new licence. You will lose full motorbike entitlement...

I'm not sure I understand this, Andrew? Category A is the full motorbike entitlement?

Warwick

Ooops! Sorry, geriatric moment. That was contradictory of course. I haven't gone right through the online application myself, but I'm pretty sure you lose the full motorbike entitlement. Presumably you still get 125 cc rights. You definitely lose C1/C1E.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:36 pm

I've no way of knowing, since I have a Greek licence, but I can't see why simply applying online would automatically remove the motorbike entitlement? The relevant web page explicitly states that you cannot renew C1/D1 on-line but must do so by post. It doesn't say anything about Category A.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Kilkis wrote:I've no way of knowing, since I have a Greek licence, but I can't see why simply applying online would automatically remove the motorbike entitlement? The relevant web page explicitly states that you cannot renew C1/D1 on-line but must do so by post. It doesn't say anything about Category A.

I'm no expert in this as only ever wished to drive a car and that's all I've done except for a school holiday job as a milk roundsman driving an electric milk float (and one trip in a 3 ton truck - whether legal or not I don't know). I also, one-time only, drove a 650 twin BSA about 3 very slow miles. However,

I renewed my licence on-line in 2012 and again in 2015 and the categories shown on my licence are:
AM (preceded by an icon of skinny moped)
A; (icon a more serious looking m/cycle)*
B1; (icon a van)
B; (icon a car)
BE (icon car with trailer) of the main Groups and
fklnpq for agricultural tractors, road rollers, etc.** All are due for renewal next year.

On the back of my licence, in the right hand column headed '12' which is noted as being 'Groups':
* Against A it shows '79(3)
** Against fklnpq '118'

On the government site under group BE it says if test passed before 19/01/2013 you can usually tow a trailer of any size and 'B+E' will be stated on the licence. (Mine has 'BE' without the '+')

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 am

Kilkis wrote:I've no way of knowing, since I have a Greek licence, but I can't see why simply applying online would automatically remove the motorbike entitlement? The relevant web page explicitly states that you cannot renew C1/D1 on-line but must do so by post. It doesn't say anything about Category A.

Warwick

Well, I can't see why you would lose it either, but I checked back with the drivers' forum I found the reference on, and there are definitely people saying they lost the full bike entitlement. Maybe they are confused? I know I am, but then I have been for a long time. I think it first started when I was listening to a radio station that advertised itself as playing R&B music. Certainly not any R&B I recognised......

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion & News”