UK drivers licence renewal

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: UK drivers licence renewal

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:06 pm

I checked with a friend tonight. He is 75, has a UK driving licence, which includes the full motorbike category A, and he has renewed it online after he was 70. It still has the Category A included. I have a feeling that the people who were complaining on the forum, Andrew, must have done something wrong when they went through the online process?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 pm

As I have 'A' on my licence does that mean I've been licensed to ride a 'proper' motorcycle for nearly 58 years without being aware of the fact? The only statutory test I've ever taken is the standard car (as I've always thought of it) driving test. Not that I've ever wanted to ride a m/c: I was practically catatonic after driving one three miles in about 15 minutes when I was a mad 18 (as opposed to a mad pensioner).

As I said in a previous post I got my 70+ licence (on-line) in 2012 and renewed (on line) in 2015 and it still shows 'A'.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:40 am

I don't think that there was a period in our lifetime when you automatically got a full motorbike licence by passing the car test but I wouldn't know for sure because I took the motorbike test first. It sounds like a mistake to me or your memory is even worse than you think?

Going back even earlier in time, I know my grandfather got a licence to ride a motorbike before you ever had to take a test. When he was 65 he got a car for the first time and was able to get a car licence on the basis of his motorbike one, again without taking a test even though tests had been introduced by then. Absolutely lethal.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 am

Kilkis wrote:I checked with a friend tonight. He is 75, has a UK driving licence, which includes the full motorbike category A, and he has renewed it online after he was 70. It still has the Category A included. I have a feeling that the people who were complaining on the forum, Andrew, must have done something wrong when they went through the online process?

Warwick

Sounds like they must have. Unless the system has changed.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 am

Anything is possible but I think his latest renewal was fairly recently. Also, if category A was excluded why didn't they use the sentence,

"You can’t use this service to renew an A (motorbike), a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post."?

Why just mention C1 and D1? I know it is impossible to fathom the thinking of governments but I don't think the UK one is that obtuse.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Kilkis wrote:.... was excluded why didn't they use the sentence,
[list]"You can’t use this service to renew an A (motorbike), ........
Warwick, just for the sake of removal of any possible doubt (or misunderstanding on my part), YES or NO, does the category/group "A" allow legal driving of motorcycles, assuming the licence holder is not banned from driving?

If "YES" that's even scarier than I thought. Not only does my licence show "A" (and "AM" but not A1 or A2) but 'Er Indoors also has an "A" on hers and her experience is limited to a 1¼mile ride as a pillion passenger when aged 17.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes. Category A allows you to drive any motorbike. If you have never ridden before I would recommend a Suzuki GSXR1300R Hyabusa, the first production bike to top 300 kph. A perfect beginners bike. Alternatively you could opt for a Harley Davidson Ultra-limited a good lightweight alternative. I would guess that er indoors would find the later more comfortable but who knows what the former could lead to?

If you have category A you don't really need categories A1 and A2 since they are simply restricted versions of A so they are implicitly included in A. For some strange reason that I don't understand my Greek licence specifies category A2 even though I have category A. The UK licence of the friend I asked specifies category AM as well as category A. Again, god knows why. I would have thought if you were licensed to drive a 300 kph super-bike that can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in 2.6 seconds you would automatically be licensed to drive a 50 cc moped that needs written notice three days in advance to get up to 50 kph. Perhaps that's why I am not in government? Just think how fast you could have got from home to Heraklion airport on that when you forgot which airport people were arriving at. Makes a Peugeot 206 GTi look like a Reliant Robin.

If you can't abandon 4 wheels I think it might still be possible to get a Westfield with two Hyabusa engines, one driving the rear wheels and one the back. That should be reasonably nippy. Alternatively the Ariel Atom with a supercharged Honda 2000 engine should accelerate about as quick as the Suzuki bike but might be a bit damp in winter.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Purely for information, for those over 65 with a Greek licence the current renewal time is about 6 weeks. I submitted all my paperwork to KEP on 10 February and the new licence arrived back at KEP yesterday, 29 March. I am guessing it would have been a few days less if I had submitted directly at the licence centre.

I also discovered that the process changes when you reach 80. You cannot then apply through KEP but have to apply directly at the licence centre. Also you have to undergo a much wider set of medical examinations, including a psychiatric examination so I suppose that rules out most of us on this forum.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Kilkis wrote:...including a psychiatric examination so I suppose that rules out most of us on this forum.

:shock:

I resemble that remark! :lol:
----
Phil
----

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:Purely for information, for those over 65 with a Greek licence the current renewal time is about 6 weeks. I submitted all my paperwork to KEP on 10 February and the new licence arrived back at KEP yesterday, 29 March. I am guessing it would have been a few days less if I had submitted directly at the licence centre.

I also discovered that the process changes when you reach 80. You cannot then apply through KEP but have to apply directly at the licence centre. Also you have to undergo a much wider set of medical examinations, including a psychiatric examination so I suppose that rules out most of us on this forum.

Warwick

Thanks Warwick. I knew about some of the changes at 80 but not the psychiatric examination. My next renewal is at age 79 so I should just scrape in. After that, if I make it to 82, we will have to see.

After all, as my old Dad used to say, 'You can fool all of them some of the time; you can fool some of them all of the time. But you can't fool all of them all of the time." I will try my hand at the second of that lot I think!! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm not sure what will happen at your 79 renewal Bob. Since it is for 3 years it will take you past 80 so they may impose the 80 process then. I honestly don't know. Because I have needed my licence in order to hire a car in the UK I have actually applied early at 65, 68 and 71. If I don't let it slip any earlier I will be 79 and 9 months when I get to the 80 one and I'm guessing they will certainly count that as 80.

I guess I am one of the few people on the forum who has already undergone a psychiatric evaluation, early last year, in order to get my IKA auxiliary pension. To the shock and horror of all my friends I passed that one so at least I stand a chance of passing again at 80. I think the doctor was in a pretty rough state when I left.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am

Kilkis wrote:I'm not sure what will happen at your 79 renewal Bob. Since it is for 3 years it will take you past 80 so they may impose the 80 process then. I honestly don't know. Because I have needed my licence in order to hire a car in the UK I have actually applied early at 65, 68 and 71. If I don't let it slip any earlier I will be 79 and 9 months when I get to the 80 one and I'm guessing they will certainly count that as 80.

I guess I am one of the few people on the forum who has already undergone a psychiatric evaluation, early last year, in order to get my IKA auxiliary pension. To the shock and horror of all my friends I passed that one so at least I stand a chance of passing again at 80. I think the doctor was in a pretty rough state when I left.

Warwick

Good point Warwick. Coincidentally I too will be 79 and 9 months when I apply. The ladies in KEP seemed to think I would be OK but a couple of decades of living here tell me that nothing is certain, regardless of the rules. As to psychiatric evaluation .......... I guess the same applies!! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”