Bringing a cat permanently to Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
KateD

Bringing a cat permanently to Crete

Postby KateD » Fri May 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi guys,
Really sorry this has probably been discussed already but my 'search' didn't bring anything up. We are moving out permanently at the end of the year/early next year and are bringing our cat. Does she need a rabies vaccination? I have heard Jets4pets are good, did anyone use anyone else?
Thanks in anticipation :)
Kate - currently cold wet and fed up in England :cry:

peebee

Re: Bringing a cat permanently to Crete

Postby peebee » Fri May 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi
We used Jets4pets 6 years ago when we brought our 5 cats over, and they were very good. Some friends used them about 6 months ago and they were also pleased with the service.
You may have a problem with bringing them out of season, as direct flights only operate around April to Nov, but J4P will advise on that.
Your cat will need a rabies jab and a pet passport in order for them to travel, I think the jab has to be 3 weeks prior to travel, but you can check on the Defra website https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/travel-within-the-eu

Patrick (currently warm, dry and happy on Crete)

KateD

Postby KateD » Sat May 21, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks Patrick, that is very helpful, so jealous but we will be there nice and warm and happy with our cat as soon as possible!
Kate

The Cats Pyjamas Rescue

Postby The Cats Pyjamas Rescue » Sat May 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi Kate as it says on the DEFRA website if your cat is not already microchipped make sure its done before the rabies otherwise it will have to be given again.

http://www.catspyjamas.org

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sun May 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Kate, we did it in reverse (shipped a rescued cat back to the UK) and found it much cheaper to organise it all ourselves using Aegean cargo from Iraklion to Heathrow via Athens (it was out of season for direct flights, as you will be if you are planning it for December/January time.) If you are interested to know how we did it, plus names, costs and contacts, send me a private message and I'll give you all the details. Mixos.

Wintersid

Postby Wintersid » Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 am

Kate, I moved to Crete just over 2 years ago and we brought our 2 cats with us. It was in January so no direct flights. If you check on the Aegean Airlines site you will see it is possible to take pets into the cabin, which is what we did and they are charged as excess baggage. The only disadvantage to this was the 3 hour stopover at Athens, but as we had plenty of food and water for the cats they coped OK.

The advantage for us was we had the cats with us at all times, so we knew they were not getting stressed, and the cost to get them to Crete was a lot less than using a carrier.

Good luck with the move, it is worth it
Sid Winter

john4d

Postby john4d » Mon May 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Why don't you give your UK cat away and pick up a kitten out of a Refuse bin here? It will be younger and last much longer. You will save a lot of money and trouble ... oops sorry must apologize. I think I've gone native
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon May 30, 2016 10:45 pm

I was thinking the same but - unusually for me - not rude enough to type it! :wink:

But seriously, even non-cat-lovers end up with half a dozen strays. Ours live wild somewhere nearby but appear at meal times. One is a massive 7kg and survived being slammed by a pickup truck. It escaped with only a broken pelvis. Another is looking very sick at present. Something wrong with its nose and eye. It's always fighting. I'd take it to the vet if I could catch it.

I guarantee that you'll bring one cat and end up with a lot more so ask yourself whether your cat might be happier living in the UK with a neighbour in the territory it knows. The feral cats and pine martens, here, can be quite vicious towards newcomers.

KateD

Postby KateD » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. We have 3 at the moment and are leaving 2 behind so I know I'll end up adopting more! Just can't leave this one though! See you all soon :D
Still crappy cold weather here, it's flaming June lol x

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:07 pm

SatCure wrote:Another is looking very sick at present. Something wrong with its nose and eye. It's always fighting. I'd take it to the vet if I could catch it.

For the record, it now looks perfectly healthy. :)

Helz

Postby Helz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Some words of advise.

We travelled up to UK from Outh africa, three years ago with our black siamese cat who is the darling of the family. She rules the house! She takes us for walks, insists on games before bed... She talks to me...we have long discussions and you can clearly see emotions across her face! She was twelve when she moved. It was never an option to leave her at all.

Weeks before i had talked to her about the journey...she turned her back to me. She understood. She came to me in my dreams and said she would be ok.

We travelled BA. She had two vet visits. One to do the microchip, then the rabbies shot.....And the last one to do a blood test to make sure the rabbies took....all critical to getting the pet passport. It must be done this way because the chip is the key to identity...so record of shot and blood work accompanies the pet nailed to the travel box. She is scanned on entry to verify.

We travelled up in same flight but she was locked in a heated compartment. Critical is not to tranquilise the cat. Their body temperature lowers when they sleep so tranquilising this combines to a double low and death follows.

They do get upset. Imagine all the noise and effect. They are terrified.

Talk to them and let them know all the details. They really are highly intelligent. We think they are inter galactic spies reporting on us to extra terrestials!! Not for nothing are the siamese the watchdogs of ancient Egypt temples!

On arrival they go to have paperwork checked and you pick them up once the call comes in that they are ready...some hours after you arrive...from transport company.

The first phone call we got was that the cat survived the journey! I wa surprised because we kinda expected that!
Her box was a mess...wet..food everywhere. We think it was knocked over.

She was terrified. She scramled under a bed and hid. I Left her there for an hour and then went in and started talking normally ..chatting about nothing. My daughter had tried but nothing worked and she was upset. As I talked so She started to pick up her head and respond and soon after crawled out...but didnt stay long.

Short and long..it took a year. But then she is highly skittish, scarred of everything cat. We were scared she would run off and get lost so her life has changed. But then she is fifteen now, struggles to jump down now so she is ready for a more sedate life!

Talk to vets...more than one for opinions.
Read experieces of others
Find out the process and options...not all vets know or have experience on this
Talk to airlines...its inter eu...some will allow travel on board
Pick a direct route for less stress...yours and the cats!
Pick a reputable airline
Expect a moody scared and unsettled cat for months
Keep it inside in a safe room with a place to hide...for comport.... For as long as necessary

After that...worry about gettting lost and being poisoned by eating rats and mice that are....greeks specifically are quite horrible to pets and animals. Its quite heartbreaking.

Good luck!

Now that my kids are finishing university and i examine where to retire...and my daughter whos cat this is considers what career and where...travel for job etc.... We think cat and i will settle someolace and live on.... So another major move for her.

Had i known that my career was to end shortly after our move to UK ...i worked in Sweden commuted to UK weekends....because of global financial crisis i would have elected to stay put in SA ...but as they say...hindsight is the perfect science!

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Our 3 cats had no problem whatsoever and settled in their new home as if nothing had happened, I didn't talk to them once..
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:11 pm

scooby wrote:...I didn't talk to them once..

...because they didn't know anything at all about football?

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:26 pm

You need a Pet Passport to bring a cat in to the UK.- Our cat is micro chipped and has had her rabies jab, as she comes backwards and forwards from the UK to Crete with us. We always have to have her scanned and her passport checked in Calais at the Tunnel, but we have never been asked by anyone in Greece to see any paperwork. Do cats need to be jabbed and microchipped if one is just taking a cat to Greece? If not, you probably don't need to do anything Kate. Checking with a vet in the UK won't help. You need to speak to a Greek vet. I have PM'd you. Surely someone on this site has imported a cat to Crete and knows if it needs anything done if it is not coming back to the UK?

Cheers,

Maud.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:50 pm

scooby wrote:Our 3 cats had no problem whatsoever and settled in their new home as if nothing had happened, I didn't talk to them once..

No point if you don't speak Moggy. Even if you did they'd probably ignore you as felines rarely speak to minions unless they're desperate for some special service.

Return to “General Discussion & News”