Driver up your bum-per

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Driver up your bum-per

Postby Carolina » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:39 am

Well I'm still alive (just) to tell the tale after trying out the keep-out-of-the- emergency-lane on the national road for 8kms. It took an awful lot of determination not to pull over that inside white line to let people pass. This is dangerous stuff! Out of the four or five cars that sat on my bum-per to pass, only one flashed his lights, but I could 'feel' their frustration. All of the cars that overtook me though came within an inch of my car and cut close in front so that I'd move over. I held my ground (repeating to myself 'this is an experiment - let them swear at me- who cares') and nearly got bum-ped off the road each time.

What was worse though was the traffic overtaking in the other direction. In order to avoid a head-on collision I moved over at least six times... I absolutely had to, it was an emergency. Aha! so this is why it's called an 'emergency lane'.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:27 am

I traveled Chania -> Rethymn yesterday and didn't see any change in driving habits. Ok there were your odd loonies out there and there was one car that just would not pull over and let us real drivers pass. Even when I got close up behind and flashed the lights did they move?...no! Had to wait till an oncoming overtaker forced it to move over then I could slip by, ok a little close maybe but what the hell. Of course when I overtook I realised why it hadn't moved over....woman driver ( and that andheath is how to really wind up a thread).

As an aside there was an interesting Greek tv program yesterday showing police vehicles filmed yesterday. There must have been at least 10 policemen not wearing seat belts and they magnified the shoulder area to show it plainly. Not that that would help you any if you got stopped.

Next entrepreneurial scheme is going to be printing T shirts with a black diagonal band across them so it looks like a seatbelt. There will need to be driver and passenger versions. I suspect this has already been done though and I'm a bit late to jump on the bandwagon.

Hudson

Re: Driver up your bum-per

Postby Hudson » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 am

Carolina wrote:cars that sat on my bum-per

I find that the use of one's windscreen washer seems to cure this. My car is filthy so they end up with nasty brown wet spots all over their car if they are too close.

Doesn't help their tempers though but it does give me some satisfaction!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:05 pm

Hudson wrote: they end up with nasty brown wet spots all over their car if they are too close.
But don't they just blend into the dirt that's already on the vehicle behind? Can the following driver even see the fresh spots through his/her dirty windscreen?

Filippos.

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:33 pm

filippos wrote:
Hudson wrote: they end up with nasty brown wet spots all over their car if they are too close.
But don't they just blend into the dirt that's already on the vehicle behind? Can the following driver even see the fresh spots through his/her dirty windscreen?

Filippos.

Around here they seem to keep the cars clean - they have to; any dirt on them and they'd sideswipe each other.

Kathleen

Driver up your bum-per

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:05 pm

Glad you survived Carolina, bet you needed a stiff drink to steady your nerves by the time you got home :shock:
Question is, will you continue to attempt to be a 'law abiding' driver or not?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:22 pm

Kathleen wrote:Question is, will you continue to attempt to be a 'law abiding' driver or not?
I think it's still only a rumour about avoiding the emergency lane. I can't find it mentioned in the list of increased penalties.

Even if it is a new regulation most drivers will ignore it unless there are police in evidence and a fair few will ignore it even under the watchful eyes of the astinomia.

Filippos.

P.S. Are there any law abiding drivers here?

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:50 pm

I think it's the old story...the words... law, abiding, and drivers, all make sense individually as would say "barrage balloon, axle grease and unicycle" but not when put together......well not unless you go to certain types of website :oops:

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:11 pm

filippos wrote:[
Filippos.

P.S. Are there any law abiding drivers here?

Yes me but then I am not in Crete yet. My argument for using taxi,s and buses still looks good to me. Ken.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:19 pm

As with all things, Ken, integrate. When in Rome etc.

One soon adjusts.

Filippos.

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:23 pm

filippos wrote:As with all things, Ken, integrate. When in Rome etc.

One soon adjusts.

Filippos.

Precisely !!

Bob

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:38 pm

Kathleen, once was enough and it was only in the name of research. However I might make an exception next time Paul tries to overtake me again :wink:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:59 pm

...especially if he is riding a unicycle, balancing a can of axle grease on his head and towing a barrage balloon?

Warwick

Kathleen

Driver up your bum-per

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Hey girl, I have survived over twenty years. Who want's to use a taxi or bus and put your life in someone elses hands?

Go for it, give 'em hell, we have been here long enough to realise the way it works! :evil: :evil:

HPeponi

Postby HPeponi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:28 am

Well I'm still alive (just) to tell the tale after trying out the keep-out-of-the- emergency-lane on the national road for 8kms. It took an awful lot of determination not to pull over that inside white line to let people pass. This is dangerous stuff! Out of the four or five cars that sat on my bum-per to pass, only one flashed his lights, but I could 'feel' their frustration. All of the cars that overtook me though came within an inch of my car and cut close in front so that I'd move over. I held my ground (repeating to myself 'this is an experiment - let them swear at me- who cares') and nearly got bum-ped off the road each time.

What was worse though was the traffic overtaking in the other direction. In order to avoid a head-on collision I moved over at least six times... I absolutely had to, it was an emergency. Aha! so this is why it's called an 'emergency lane'.

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:27 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I traveled Chania -> Rethymn yesterday and didn't see any change in driving habits. Ok there were your odd loonies out there and there was one car that just would not pull over and let us real drivers pass. Even when I got close up behind and flashed the lights did they move?...no! Had to wait till an oncoming overtaker forced it to move over then I could slip by, ok a little close maybe but what the hell. Of course when I overtook I realised why it hadn't moved over....woman driver (

Hey Paul, did it never occur to you who the driver in front could have been!!!! :lol:

Hudson, nice one, will try the windscreen wipers next time....watch this space!

Return to “General Discussion & News”