What has BBC done to sabotage VPN downloads?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
ruthandbob

What has BBC done to sabotage VPN downloads?

Postby ruthandbob » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:06 pm

We were happily using our chosen VPN - mostly downloading for later watching and disconnecting shortly into the downlaod to speed up and generally be considerate. With the lovely (!) new Download Manager we were told that we would also have to connect briefly at the start of watching - but it is worse than that! We get programmes into the manager and then when next we look they have expired (can be 10 mins later!!!)
On the plus side streaming is OK or better, but I want the old way back!!!!
Anyone else suffering this way?
Bob and Ruth

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:04 pm

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 am

Haven't experienced any problems recently. Just once, a few weeks ago, a downloaded programme expired itself after 10 minutes. Otherwise everything has been fine.
I don't connect before watching and why do you disconnect after you start to download?

ruthandbob

Postby ruthandbob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks!
Told when we first got it that the encryption procedures slow down the speed, and that does seem to be the case. (Tho provider also has an interest in getting us off there quickly!)
Got a message a couple of weeks ago from them about need to go online if using BBC downlaod manager in its new form - so we have done so but without success. Are you using BBC manager or downloading for Windows M player? Are you using IE or Firefox?
Everything was fine in Canaries with same laptop and same VPN!!!!
Bob and Ruth

ruthandbob

Postby ruthandbob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks!
Told when we first got it that the encryption procedures slow down the speed, and that does seem to be the case. (Tho provider also has an interest in getting us off there quickly!)
Got a message a couple of weeks ago from them about need to go online if using BBC downlaod manager in its new form - so we have done so but without success. Are you using BBC manager or downloading for Windows M player? Are you using IE or Firefox?
Everything was fine in Canaries with same laptop and same VPN!!!!
Bob and Ruth

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:49 pm

The encryption slows mine down only by 10% or so. I'm using the iPlayer downloader on Safari and there's definitely no need to be online when watching a download.

ruthandbob

Postby ruthandbob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks - a few things to try when the sun disappears!
Bob and Ruth

ruthandbob

Postby ruthandbob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:33 am

I have just had a reply from our VPN peope. It seems that there is indeed a change in the BBC software that means it detects non-UK ISP at anytime in the download. They (VPN) have now withdrawn their previous advice/request to customers to disconnect at 2percent or so. It was doing this that was causing our deletions.
If you stay connected to your VPN there should not be a problem!
They also suggest downloading as wmv (under the BBC Other downloads menu) and avoiding the BBC desktop altogether
We shall see!
Thanks for help, folks!
Bob and Ruth

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:16 pm

I can download using the windows media player option in 'more downloads'. That works fine for me using ADTelly

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 am

Paleo wrote:I can download using the windows media player option in 'more downloads'. That works fine for me using ADTelly

Also, I can download in this way without connecting to the ADTelly VPN, just by using the ADTelly toolbar.

katowales

Postby katowales » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:11 pm

There seems to have been issues with "i Player Desktop" following a recent upgrade.

I'm running “Vista” & using "Lamnia" on a very slow friends network in the south of Crete. My typical upload & download speeds are 100kb & 250kb, if I'm lucky...

I was using "i Player Desktop" to download content over night.

Following the upgrade the programs would download, but when I tried to play them in "i Player Desktop" I got a blank screen.

I did a search & found I was not alone....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F13735683?thread=6651335

It seems they made a mistake with the new upgrade... they have specified the wrong download path in settings for the downloads. There is also a problem with Adobe Air the platform the BBC use to run "i Player Desktop". More info here:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/download_programmes/desktop_not_open/

&:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F8035762?thread=6747154#p83051032

After hours of uninstalling & reinstalling my solution was to download & install the newest version of Air from:

http://get.adobe.com/air/

Then change the file storage location in "i Player Desktop"...I needed to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get file manager up as "i Player Desktop" gets stuck trying to move files from a none existent directory.

I then manually moved the files from their old location to the new one before starting "i Player Desktop" again.

It now works OK....

Watched "Psychoville" & "Getting On" last night.... :D

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”