Watersports

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:29 pm

This actually has more to do with import/export than kicking sand in peoples business faces at the waterfront so to speak. It's difficult to get a bath chair down through the sand by the way.

Anyone seen body boards or even dare I venture surf boards. I'd have thought there was little market for them.

latsida

Postby latsida » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:51 pm

never seen anyone surfing dont think the conditions are suitable.Perhaps if you go to a surf website and ask some questions there they may help.Its either very rough here or calm.the winds are very strong in the hottest months.think they do lots of windsurfing in Paleochora on the south coast,and kayaking in Loutro but I dont think the demand would be enough to support a business :P

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:00 pm

latsida wrote:never seen anyone surfing dont think the conditions are suitable.Perhaps if you go to a surf website and ask some questions there they may help.Its either very rough here or calm.the winds are very strong in the hottest months.think they do lots of windsurfing in Paleochora on the south coast,and kayaking in Loutro but I dont think the demand would be enough to support a business :P

Yes thank's for that, I don't recall any good breakers anywhere in the Med really. Portugal,France and Spain where the Atlantic coasts is, I believe they have been istalling buoys that give sea state readings to Sat systems to determine the best surfing and where on a daily basis, but none in the Med.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:01 pm

surfing waves need long reaches of water to build up and there just isn't that length in the Med

see

http://www.noisemakers.org.uk/modules/a ... .cfm?id=10

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:15 pm

Windsurfing I have some experience with, and yes Oceans and surfing (dirty old Hawaii with some shingles just beyond the breakers to get your shoulder blades bust on or your face sanded off).

As I said (and I don't know where the idea of muscles and force came into this). This is all about the supply of business and and the importation of products, spare parts, new products not the supply of end users (whoops not those sort of end users and not that sort of equipment).

I'm afraid my days of hanging around the beach and hiring pedlos (No 6 can you come in please) never was and never will be. I more interested in the backroom stuff and having the occassional laugh with a new product to test. Anyway you ever tried to pedal a boat in a bath chair?

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:10 pm

You could always get your bath chair adapted Muttly :wink:

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:44 pm

Muttly

I think that you should give up the idea of starting a business in Crete!

I have just read your posts in the "driving licence" thread. With your pedantic attitude and wanting everything "cut and dried" starting a business here will be an absolute nightmare for you. Believe me you would never sleep soundly here with your imagination for what could go wrong!

You say that you don't need to work so just live here in the west of the island and enjoy the place.

John

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:01 pm

I did not say I was starting it. But attention to minutia is one of basics ensuring a business does not fall flat on it's face or foul of the law which is why so many Brits fail abroad, I think they think that the foreignrs are not quite up to our wonderful sucesses.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Muttly

I could not disagree more!

Attention to minutia is what you have a Greek accountant and a Greek lawyer for!
Mere mortals such as you and I with UK business backgrounds will never understand Greek business ways and methods so don't even try; employ an expert, you will need them anyway to sort out your tax affairs so make them earn their money.

In the UK 80% of new businesses fail in the first two years so I would rate your chances of succeeding here as just slightly above zero, and that would be if you had a Greek co-director/partner.

Brits fail to make it abroad because they think it is easy, they see a laid back Greek who appears to be doing well and think that they can be the same. They can't. They are broken by little differences, not the big things. For example, in the UK you have, if I remember the name correctly, "The small business late payments act" which gives you some chance of being paid on time. No similar act applies here, it is not unusual to wait 6 or 8 months to be paid, do you have the capital funds to finance this bearing in mind that, if you are importing, your supplier will demand prompt payment? You may have the best product in the world, and people fighting to have it, but if you cannot get paid you are stuffed!

Muttly, you don't need to earn, save yourself the agrovation and just relax in Crete

John

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Pssst..........I look to see if the market is there and I'm looking a bit more closely at a niche in detail, it does not matter a tinkers cuss how the locals arrange themselves and tax etc so standby for Mrs Muttly and her harpies before Xmas!

"Oh......how do you know your a true modern Brit and a chav. When you let your 14 year daughter smoke during the TV dinner in front of her children".

jeansy

Postby jeansy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Muttly well done for having a go on behalf of your missus, from what I have read from your posts you are looking ti export to Crete from a UK base ? It may be me but people would be better to rtfq for those who do not know this abbreviation spend some time and find out.
PM me and I can probably put you in touch with some importers but be warned they drive a hard bargain, payment is not a major drama as most pay part before despatch and the remainder on a set date, and before people try to put me right remember I work for an import company owned by a Greek that imports and exports watersport equipment
cheer Paul

Return to “General Discussion & News”