Another Wobble

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Clio

Another Wobble

Postby Clio » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 pm

About 14.20 hrs, 5.1. 60 km sw of Agia Galini.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Very noticeable here so it must have been strong on the South coast

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Didn't feel a thing in Kalyves plateia.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Bother (again). I missed it (again)

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 pm

Yes, I've NEVER felt an earthquake. It's very disappointing. They really ought to issue advance warnings so we know when to stand still and pay attention.
8)

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:05 am

Be careful what you wish for SatCure..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:34 am

I've felt a couple here but non of the recent ones. I think I must be insensitive to movement.

I experienced a big one once in Japan, over 7 on the Richter scale. Even then I didn't really sense the motion myself. I was in a very large RF anechoic screened chamber. The first thing I noticed was noise. At first I thought that someone was hammering on the outside of the chamber with a large hammer. Next I noticed that the 12 ft long foam pyramids were waving quite violently with about a 3 ft displacement at the tips. Finally I noticed that all the Japanese staff had vanished. Apparently there was an aftershock of only slightly smaller magnitude during the night but I slept through that despite being on the tenth floor of a hotel which I'm told swayed quite a bit.

I was in an office in Chania a few years ago when one occurred and all the Greek staff ran out into the square. We were told in Japan never to run outside as most people are killed or injured by objects falling off buildings. We were told to run to the door but stay just inside it.

Warwick

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Some suggestions as to how to survive an earthquake here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-an-Earthquake

John

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I was in a very large RF anechoic screened chamber.

Warwick I love it when you talk technical. It's all Greek to me but it's kind of reassuring....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 pm

As far as I am aware the logic of the "run to the doorway but stay inside" advice was based on the idea that the door structure is strong and will probably stay up if the rest of the house collapses. Also rescue teams will start searching around the door area. Perhaps Japanese building regulations demand strengthened doorways?

I like the bit in the advice that John linked, "The alternate advice is to get next to a sturdy piece of furniture so that if a wall falls, it will create a crawl space in which you can survive. This "triangle of life" method, however, is inconsistent with earthquake research and not recommended by the American Red Cross, Structural Engineers Association of Northern California Response, and Earthquake Country Alliance." Or to put it another way "here is some advice but the people who really know about these things think it is bad advice." I must admit I have seen films of school emergency exercises in both China and Japan and the kids always got under their desks.

It's just a very big welded steel box lined on the inside with foam pyramids impregnated with carbon, Clio. If you want to get an idea of scale think of one of the crates they collect oranges in and put a Dinky car in the bottom of it. The Dinky car is really a full size limousine.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:04 pm

The advice for not going outside in cities makes sense, especially those with high-rise buildings like those in Tokyo or LA - just think of the danger of falling glass if those windows go..

I reckon it would be hard to follow the Triangle of Life theory, wouldn't instinct (or fear) would make you get under that bed or table rather than lie next to it?

Here in Crete most people usually run outside, wherever they are. Schools do earthquake drills, with the children sheltering under their desks.

The biggest quake I, personally, felt here was in January 2006, a 6.8 magnitude or so: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4592418.stm
We went outside and were holding onto each other to stay upright as the ground was moving so much from side to side. Now that was scary. Since then I have only felt a small rumbles!

The Natural History Museum in Heraklion has an earthquake simulator - head over there if you wish to experience one.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Carolina wrote:
The Natural History Museum in Heraklion has an earthquake simulator - head over there if you wish to experience one.

I've been on the earthquake simulator - it's an experience not to be missed, although I can't imagine such an apparatus being allowed in a Health & Safety concious country like the UK - it's downright dangerous - but a lot of fun!

Tim

Return to “Chatter”