Renewal Of IKA Book

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Re: Renewal Of IKA Book

Postby filippos » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:28 pm

The last couple of times I've been to a GP they apologised for not being able to give me an IKA prescription because there was a monthly cap on numbers*. They may have been lying, I suppose, but they were two unconnected doctors in different villages.

When we left our books at KEP this year we were told the copies would be valid until 28 Feb, the normal renewal deadline.

Edit: * Perhaps the doctors had used up their allocation rather than your books being blocked.
Last edited by filippos on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rej

Postby Rej » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:56 pm

We renewed our books at the IKA office near Souda earlier this week; no problem if you don't mind getting up early. When we made it to a window the process took about 2 minutes. No papers were required (we had passport, tax papers etc with us but did not need them) and the renewal consisted only of updating the computer. The certificate which was previously attached to the book has been discontinued.

Mandraek

Postby Mandraek » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:01 pm

[quote="Mandraek"]KEP sent off IKA books great help got the receipt but we went to the IKA doctor he could not do our monthly prescriptions it was blocked?

Is this because the books are being updated?

Further to this the pharmacist informed us that the computer system has been unreliable over the past few days so maybe thats the reason?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 am

I collected my IKA book and those of my friends from KEP yesterday. They were actually ready on Tuesday so it took 19 days, 13 working days, from submission to completion. There is no evidence in the book that it has been updated. You are at the mercy of the computer system.

Some other friends took their books to KEP in Chania Town Hall and are now being asked for tax returns and residence permits to renew their books. I'm not sure if there has been some change in the system or if different offices are behaving differently but the one off the Souda road near the IKA building is very good.

Warwick

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:10 pm

I had to visit my local KEP, whilst there I inquired about updating my IKA book. They told me that there is no need to visit IKA to get this done anymore, as the system has now been computerised. They themselves are not getting their books updated, they said you just take your book with you when you need treatment & you will be looked up on the system!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Hmmmm..... Do we actually believe this? Sounds like one of those nasty little traps that will catch us out later down the line.

I went to my local IKA office a few weeks ago, because I was passing, and asked about renewal. The nice lady was about to sort me out when she realised it was a UK funded booklet I had. "Oh no, I can't do that here, you'll have to go to the main office in Agios Nikolaos."

So, it appears there was some sort of renewal involved, and yes, our UK funded booklets are always subject to different systems and procedures. So, whilst I would like to believe Ros21's post, I'm not holding my breath, especially as she heard it from KEP not IKA.

Andrew

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 pm

YoMo2 wrote:Hmmmm..... Do we actually believe this? Sounds like one of those nasty little traps that will catch us out later down the line.

I went to my local IKA office a few weeks ago, because I was passing, and asked about renewal. The nice lady was about to sort me out when she realised it was a UK funded booklet I had. "Oh no, I can't do that here, you'll have to go to the main office in Agios Nikolaos."

So, it appears there was some sort of renewal involved, and yes, our UK funded booklets are always subject to different systems and procedures. So, whilst I would like to believe Ros21's post, I'm not holding my breath, especially as she heard it from KEP not IKA.

Andrew

Caution is always a good thing here, but if it helps, we took our books in to KEP in Kalyves on Friday 16th january and they were ready yesterday, 4 Feb which is about 12 working days. Got the same story about the certificate - not issued any more, but the details are on the computer. Tellingly, Argentine who is the lady at KEP who did the work said - 'And I checked yours on the computer, just to be sure. Everything is OK.'

What will be interesting is the next visit to Vamos health centre. For the last year or so, they have required a photocopy of that certificate to attach to a form which allegedly ends up somewhere in DSS in the UK for reimbursement of funds. Maybe (!?!) they will be able to produce a print-out from the computer to attach to the (hand-completed) form. I shall take a copy of the old page anyway, just in case they are happy to amend the date.

Fun, innit? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm slightly confused. We seem to be talking about two separate things.

Firstly, the fact that no new certificates are being issued - it's all on computer now........ Fine, I understand that. Don't trust it mind you.

Secondly, there seems to be some vagueness about the renewal process. Many people are still going to IKA or their local KEP and taking a variety of documents to show. One poster says we don't need to visit IKA anymore, by implication, we don't need to provide documents. Can this be right?

Andrew

margarita

Postby margarita » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:27 pm

We collected our IKA books from Kalyves KEP office today. The certificate in the front had not been updated, but folded up inside each book was a piece of paper with name, AMKA number and expiry date of IKA book on.

We haven't yet translated all the Greek on these papers but intend to make copies of them.

It took exactly 3 weeks from the date we took our books in to the day KEP rang to say they were ready.

Greek people do no to go anywhere to renew their books - it is done automatically. Foreigners still need to renew their books. That's what I was told in Kalyves KEP office anyway. I think you only need to show a tax return of you have a dependant on your book e.g. spouse not of state pension age.

Maggie

Ann Jennings

Postby Ann Jennings » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:56 pm

I went to IKA at Souda Road on 13th January. Pouring with rain, very windy, I was there at 8.00 am. Went in and my number was 49 it was full of Greeks renewing their books. I eventually got to the counter after three hours waiting, she looked at my passport and entered AMKA number on computer and told me that it was all renewed on the computer until next year. The long delay was the fact that all the Greeks were having to fill in forms before they could renew, I did not have to fill a form and it is all over for another year. Let us hope next year is easier.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:16 pm

margarita wrote:We collected our IKA books from Kalyves KEP office today. The certificate in the front had not been updated, but folded up inside each book was a piece of paper with name, AMKA number and expiry date of IKA book on.

We haven't yet translated all the Greek on these papers ......

The form, with translation in red, done with some help from Google is here.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Yet another variation on the theme.........

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:23 pm

filippos wrote:...The form, with translation in red, done with some help from Google is here.

No paper at all with the books I collected. Just a statement from KEP that they had been renewed and everything was on the computer system.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:24 am

As I said..........

Andrew

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Went to I.K.A building Souda this morning got there at 7.15 to renew books, about 20/30 people there, what we didn`t know is that a man takes names and as it opens he calls the names, hence when we did get in we were ticket 86, it had just gone 1.30pm before we got to the window 6.5 hours, anyone going look for a man on the front of the queue to the left who takes your name, and hopefully you wont be there that long, I dread it every year, it was supposed to be made easier this time but it is the worst we have ever had it. BE WARNED :x
Dave H

Return to “General Discussion & News”