Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Is there nothing can be done to speed up the forum? I started searching for a particular topic and fell asleep waiting for it to load the next page.

Warwick

filippos

Re: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Postby filippos » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:36 pm

I just waited about 20 seconds for this text entry page to open.

I don't think it's the forum per se but Yahoo. I quite often have similar yawning experiences waiting for flickr which is also from the Yahoo stable. Most other sites/pages open very quickly especially since switching to Otenet. Just ran a test on two servers: Ping 19ms on both: Download 26.37Mbps on one 28.04 on second one: Upload 2.36 and 2.37. Yahoo is still slow.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:10 am

Where does Yahoo fit in?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:27 am

I think Living in Crete forum is hosted as a Yahoo group. Open two tabs in your browser. In one tab open Living in Crete. In the other tab open Yahoo. Look at the tabs. Notice anything?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:59 am

Ah, yes. I hadn't realised. Although I had previously registered the little blue "Y", but pushed it to the pending tray............

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 am

Blue Y? I must go and get my eyes tested. To me it looks like a white Y on a purple background. I must agree I also subscribe to the "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow" philosophy.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:21 am

Kilkis wrote:Blue Y? I must go and get my eyes tested. To me it looks like a white Y on a purple background. I must agree I also subscribe to the "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow" philosophy.

Warwick

Ha Ha. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I think someone should give serious consideration to moving the forum platform off Yahoo. Difficult to do anything before tomorrow with the speed I am seeing on the forum..... It's very erratic. Even within the same session, the same operation can be almost immediate or take several minutes of absolutely nothing happening. I've noticed that at those times the status message at bottom left alternates between "waiting for livingincrete.net" and another message which flashes up only very briefly but seems to refer to "transferring data" and "np.lexity.com". Is this the culprit? Googling it finds stuff about commerce platforms and complaints from website owners about slow performance because code has been inserted without their approval. Anyone?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:42 am

It also is very misleading. For example when replying to a thread it will time out BUT it has actually posted the reply. I now go and check to see if the reply is there in a new tab before retrying otherwise you finish up with repeat postings. Very frustrating.

Warwick

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Kilkis wrote:It also is very misleading. For example when replying to a thread it will time out BUT it has actually posted the reply. I now go and check to see if the reply is there in a new tab before retrying otherwise you finish up with repeat postings. Very frustrating.

Warwick

I find the same thing with logging in, Warwick. I click on 'log in', get timed out, but then when I manage to get through to the site again I find I am logged in. It is increasingly irritating as I am more and more frequently being logged out.

It took me several goes to be able to reply to Warwick's post.

Maggie

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:40 pm

I've stopped coming on here much as I used to because of this problem. You sit for ages waiting or go off and do something else to come back and find it's "cannot open page" or "timed out". Sooooo frustrating!!!!

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:49 pm

It's very erratic. Even within the same session, the same operation can be almost immediate or take several minutes of absolutely nothing happening.

It's been like this for ages. The way for it not to drive you nuts is to use another tab to do something whilst it loads...or not as the case may be.
But I think that it would be a good idea if Carol looked for another hosting service. Maybe something located in Europe would have quicker response times.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:16 pm

Jean wrote:...It's been like this for ages...

I think that it is pretty much since it "upgraded" (?) to the new format. Before that it would get in a mess from time to time. Carol would rebuild it and it would be OK for a long time. Then repeat. Now it is just erratic. Click on a sub-section or on a thread and it spins the dial until it times out. Click on it again and it loads immediately or times out again. Completely random.

I guess at this time of year Carol has enough to do with her time.

Warwick

PS At the time of posting this, 00:17, it is very responsive. Everything just works immediately.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 am

It suddenly started working OK for me on Thursday early evening. Still OK this morning. Skata symvainei.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:04 am

Yes. It seems to have woken from its slumbers. Hope it continues.

Warwick

Plodder

Postby Plodder » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Here in Elounda, the broadband has been terribly slow for a few days.
Kind of nostalgic, as it reminds me of the old dial-up days, but damned annoying if you want to do something.

It's my first full summer here, and I am clueless about broadband, so just assumed it was due to heavy usage now the tourists are here!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”