Steam mops?

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
YoMo2

Steam mops?

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:24 pm

The OH feels the need for us to acquire a steam mop. Whilst I wouldn't dream of interfering in cleaning related issues, I do want to avoid spending money on a piece of garbage that doesn't get used. Any advice from someone who owns one would be appreciated. I've read a number of reviews and buying guides, (no, really), and it does appear that some brands/models don't produce enough steam to do much of a job.

We're looking for something like these. http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/best-steam-cleaners-9817000.html

Andrew

Clio

Re: Steam mops?

Postby Clio » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:23 pm

I didn't know such things existed until about five years ago when I saw a friend using one while I was on a trip to England. Hers was a basic model from Lakeland, costing then about 50 quid. It seemed a good idea so I ordered one and was impressed by the speed with which it arrived and the modest postage for a fairly heavy bit of kit. I've since bought other stuff from Lakeland and would highly recommend them.

There was a heady period when I was the Only Steamer In The Village and the neighbours were dead impressed, but then Lidl started doing them and they've all got one.

Mine, like one of the ones reviewed in the link, has to be turned upside down to empty it which is awkward. I also find it a real fiddle to vacuum the plakakia first - bad enough having to clean floors, never mind doing it twice - but if you don't, the felt pads collect stringy bits of dusty grot. I am very taken now with the idea of upgrading to the Bissell two-in-one model also stocked by Lakeland.

Sorry I can't help with the steam cleaner, but someone I know who cleans for a living swears by hers.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Bought one. Tried it. Gave it away.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:30 am

Clio wrote:.......Sorry I can't help with the steam cleaner, but someone I know who cleans for a living swears by hers.

Thanks Clio. Any idea what brand hers is?

Kilkis wrote:Bought one. Tried it. Gave it away.

Reason? Brand? Model?

Andrew

starfish

Postby starfish » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 am

After having quite a nasty accident last september I wasn't able to clean the floors the way I used too so invested in a Morphy Richards steam mop. I have never looked back just love it. So easy to use, quick drying and a final sweep and its done. Also converts to hand held for windows, upholstery etc. Comes with all kinds os accessories. Would have another when this one goes which could be a long way off. My neighbour also has the same one which was purchased through Amazon. Hope this helps

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 am

It was 5 years ago so the models today may not be identical. It was a "Vax S2 Hard Floor Master Upright Steam Stick". I think I bought that model because it got a good write up in Which. The nearest equivalent model today would probably be this one although it is half the price I paid back then? Basically:

1 I didn't find it any easier to use than a mop and bucket.
    2 It didn't get the floor any cleaner than a mop and bucket.
    3 It was slower than a mop and bucket, because you have to move it over the floor quite slowly to get it clean.
    4 There's a lot more faffing about than there is with a mop and bucket.

I think the person I gave it too likes it so I guess it is a personal opinion. I also tried a relatively cheap hand held steam cleaner to clean the grout between tiles. Total waste of time. I am told by someone who has to service several villas that the Karcher window cleaning kit works very well but I haven't tried it myself.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:39 am

Well, thanks all. That seems to just confirm my original confusion. A lot of variation in product efficiency, although I guess it partly depends on your expectations.

I will just research it a bit more and take the plunge. They are vastly more expensive here than in the UK though, which is tedious.

Andrew

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”