Central heating in winter?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
kastri1961

Central heating in winter?

Postby kastri1961 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:06 pm

My wife and I are looking for a 12 month rental from approx. Jan 2017 and have been given some property details by a reputable estate agent who has often been recommended on this forum.

However the house does not have central heating installed so my question is do we NEED central heating in a house during winter?
The house is located in Kokkino Chorio and after asking the estate agent they replied as follows:

Definitely you will need some heating in the winter that’s why the house offers a sufficient stove that works with wood and Aircon for hot and cold. The houses have a great finish and insulation so you will not have a problem even the winter time there. Just for your record the second house is rented for four years now so definitely you could be settled there.

What say you?
Is central heating a must have?

Thank you.

Kilkis

Re: Central heating in winter?

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Personally I wouldn't be without it but if it has a decent wood burning stove and good quality inverter air conditioning with sufficient capacity you will probably be OK. I have a friend who has lived here for over ten years with no central heating. A lot depends on the layout of the house. If it is on two floors with a single wood burner on the ground floor it is going to be cold upstairs. My friend puts a curtain across the staircase and sleeps downstairs in the worst of winter. If it is all on one floor with the wood burner near the middle and air can circulate easily around the rooms it is better.

Warwick

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Reading between the lines it sounds like a wood burner for living room and aircon for all other rooms but if you feel the need in winter to use aircon in bedrooms for heat it becomes very expensive so make further enquiries with the agent about the areas covered by wood burner and aircon.
Dave H

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:55 pm

We moved here in September 2009. At the beginning of November we had a somba installed and quickly discovered that it didn't heat the bedrooms. Although everyone knows that "hot air rises", in our house it doesn't!
In fact it didn't even heat our open-plan kitchen-living room until I fitted fans.*

By mid November we'd had central heating installed.

However, I would add "it depends". If the house is really well insulated and IF you can heat all the rooms with a wood stove (unlikely) then you won't need it.

The alternative is to use the air conditioning units in reverse. An efficient unit can produce up to 3.5 kiloWatts of heat for only 1 kW of electricity. However, even that sort of efficiency is going to be costly and probably more costly than, say, oil-fired central heating. It will also produce noise, which might be unacceptable.

It also depends on what you are used to. I know an elderly man, here, who has no heating and no insulation. I asked him how he survives winter and he told me "extra clothes and blankets". That wouldn't be my idea of comfort.

*The efficiency of a typical wood stove can greatly be increased by aiming one or more fans at the chimney to remove heat before it vanishes outside.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:16 pm

SatCure wrote:...*The efficiency of a typical wood stove can greatly be increased by aiming one or more fans at the chimney to remove heat before it vanishes outside.

I've never understood why they don't produce finned chimney sections to maximise heat transfer to the room?

An alternative solution would be to use a coaxial chimney. All houses with a wood burner should have a vent to allow fresh air to be drawn in to replace that being burnt. If they had a coaxial chimney the cold air being drawn in could be pre-warmed by the hot inner chimney. Many many years ago the OU designed and built a house that was supposed to be thermally efficient. They reckoned they could heat the whole house through winter with the energy consumed by a 40 watt light bulb. In that case they used a hot air system with a percentage make up of fresh air. The cold fresh air was drawn in through the outer of a coaxial duct that vented the warm stale air through the inner duct. In that case there was a relatively small temperature difference between the fresh air and the stale air so the duct ran underground the full length of the garden in order to maximise the heat transfer. If a coaxial chimney was used there would be a large temperature difference so there ought to be a significant warming even with a short length. The installation cost can't be high. My house has a coaxial chimney simply because it originally had an open fireplace, with a large diameter chimney, which I replaced with a closed high efficiency wood burner that used a smaller diameter chimney. They simply fed the new chimney down the old one and stuffed the gap with fibre glass matting.

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:47 am

I bought 2 thermal fans off Amazon and have them on top of the stove to blow the heat out and insulated around the flue above eye level within the fireplace. Used these for the first time last year and noticed quite a difference in the heat within the room, I told a few friends about them and they subsequently purchased one and all said they noticed quite a difference in heat circulation. They cost in the region of £40 each and are powered with the heat of the stove, no batteries, no electric required.
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:19 am

They sound interesting .. have you got a clicky link to the Thermal fans Steve W....?..jeff

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 am

Our house was renovated in 2002 but didn't have central heating but it did have a log burner which is fine if you were sat more or less right in front of it . We managed our first winter with it but the following year we installed central heating and would advise anyone to think long and hard if you're moving into a house with only a log burner.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 am

kastri1961 wrote:My wife and I are looking for a 12 month rental from approx. Jan 2017 and have been given some property details by a reputable estate agent who has often been recommended on this forum.

However the house does not have central heating installed so my question is do we NEED central heating in a house during winter?
The house is located in Kokkino Chorio

Have lived in the village for 19 years, and it can get cold in the winter, especially if the house is exposed to the north winds. Marginally warmer in the middle of the village I guess, but you will need some form of heating. Aircon which can be made to heat as well as cool is an option that has been discussed on this forum before. I always thought it an expensive way to heat rooms, but one or two people say that's not true.
Bottom line is I wouldn't like to live in this village without any heating! Hope that helps. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:05 am

Jeffstclair wrote:They sound interesting .. have you got a clicky link to the Thermal fans Steve W....?..jeff

They are called heat powered fans.

Warwick

annabanana

Postby annabanana » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:06 am

Hi all,
We was thinking of installing a oil central heating,can any one can give me a contact number for the company.
Thanks

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:19 am

bobscott wrote:...Aircon which can be made to heat as well as cool is an option that has been discussed on this forum before. I always thought it an expensive way to heat rooms, but one or two people say that's not true...

It depends what you are comparing it with and also what type of aircon.

As Martin pointed out a good quality aircon unit could put 3.5 kW of heat into a room but only consume 1 kW of electricity to do so. A normal electric heater, e.g. oil filled radiator, radiant fire, fan heater would put 1 kW of heat into the room for the same consumed energy. Thus an aircon unit is much much cheaper to run. Compared to a wood burner or oil fired central heating it is probably more expensive. I would guess a central heating system running on olive waste is probably the cheapest to run.

Not all aircon units are as efficient as the figures Martin quoted. I had some ordinary ones installed when I first built my house because they were cheap and I wasn't sure how much I would use them. They are nowhere near as efficient as a good quality inverter type and hence more expensive to run, although still cheaper than other electric heaters. I found I rarely used the bedroom ones but quite often used the living room one on the hotter days in summer, i.e. if internal temperature gets over 30 C, so I changed the living room one to a higher powered, high efficiency inverter type. I've never used them for heating.

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:37 am

Jeff, this is the supplier I got them sent out to Crete from https://www.amazon.co.uk/Galleon-Firepl ... HERMAL+FAN
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:31 pm

annabanana wrote:Hi all,
We was thinking of installing a oil central heating,can any one can give me a contact number for the company.
Thanks

we installed a gas boiler 10 years ago far cheaper to run than oil, costs to run as follows, cost per ltr at last fill-up was 0.5296 euros, 500 ltrs at a time cost 264.68 euros, we have a gas fire in the lounge, gas cooker and the central heating throughout, 2.5 fill-ups per year on average, installer details are Kypiakos G. Berstakes In Kisamos,tel 2822083372 mob 6942550171 e-mail kvestaki@otenet.gr, hope this helps............. :D
Dave H

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:52 pm

annabanana wrote:Hi all,
Thanks

We used Hydrotherm in Vamos. Didn't bother to shop around because we were shivering!

Return to “General Discussion & News”