Olive Harvest

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cruc

Olive Harvest

Postby Cruc » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am

I was told by my wife last night that the olive harvest is going to be slim pickings this year. She said that reading an article in a magazine it said, the reason for this was there was very little or no rain and also a parasite had affected the majority of trees. Anyone know if this is true? :( :( :x
Regards
Cruc

Kilkis

Re: Olive Harvest

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:58 am

Was the article specific to Crete? There is certainly an insect-borne bacterium, Xylella Fastidiosa, that is destroying olive trees in southern Italy but I wasn't aware that it had reached Crete yet. If it does it could be pretty devastating for the island because it can also affect citrus trees.

Warwick

marion

Postby marion » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:16 pm

Not a good year for my Olive Harvest, additional to lack of rain and Olive Fly (Bactrocera Oleae). There has been Rhynchites cribripennis (Coleoptera: Attelabidae) which is an insect with a 2 year cycle, overwintering as mature larva during the first year with adult in the soil during the second year. In Spring adults move from the soil to the canopy of olive trees, consuming young shoots and leaves and then burrowing into young olive fruit causing the fruit to drop and repeat the cycle. The majority of my olives dropped early and I am in the process of 'cleaning' the land and trying to break the cycle.
There appears to be very little known about this insect research has been very limited but has been known to be in the Ionian Islands and Crete for sometime.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:59 pm

The seems to have been very little harvesting activity around us until about a week ago when we saw trucks, cars and scooters carrying various bits of kit. One friend who harvests his own and others' olives said, a few weeks ago, that he expected a relatively poor yield due to lack of rain but made no mention of problems with fly damage or disease.

On the other hand, I visited an oil factory near Kissamos yesterday where the owners process their own olives which typically produce 20,000 kilos of oil (from about 3,000 trees). They actually started oil production yesterday and seemed quite optimistic about this year's output.

These comments are purely anecdotal, of course. I can't speak from direct recent experience as we sold our property with olive trees a few years ago. Then, our oil yield was about 5.5 kilo per tree compared with this producer's 6.7 kilos.

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:35 pm

We only have 20 trees but have decided not to harvest this year as most of the trees are pretty bare of fruit. I had assumed lack of water and havent heard anything about insect problem.

George

Postby George » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Whilst touring round parts of the island in October I couldn't help but notice a superior amount of larger olives in the Kato Zakros area compared to round about Sissi, where we were based. I have no idea if this is normal or not, but I would have thought trees in the roughly same geographical location would yield similar results.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:44 pm

It can vary from one olive grove to another just yards away, George .. all depending on the wind direction and -- crucially -- the amount of rain. Since you mention Kato Zakros, you might be aware that there was hardly a drop of rain in the "east end" all summer and autumn, but there were terrible dust storms which stripped much of the blossom in some areas -- so no olives at all. But trees sheltered from the worst of the wind have big fat olives and, I'm told, are already being harvested near Sitia.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Olive trees tend to fruit every other year, near Spili where I live it looks like a good harvest this year, despite the lack of rain through the summer and into the autumn. Of course those growers who have irrigation in their olive groves are most likely to have a good harvest. Few of the trees in my olive grove had fruit last year, this year they were full of blossom in spring and the olives developed nicely until the hot dry weather in July and August. Early September I installed an irrigation system in the grove and regular irrigation since then has saved the olives which were drying and shrivelling on the trees. Now looks like we will have a bumper harvest when we collect in January.

Peter

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:15 am

I was told tonight that, in the area to the south west of Chania, above 200 to 300 m altitude the harvest is very poor due to lack of water. Below 200 m it is quite good. A friend who grows fully organic olives says that it isn't a wonderful year but certainly not terrible. His crop tends to alternate between 3,000 kg and 300 kg of oil. A couple of years ago when there were very bad sandstorms about blossom time he got 30 kg. No mention of any particularly bad insect problems this year.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:58 pm

http://www.haniotika-nea.gr/miomeni-fet ... eleoladou/

Seems as if quality and quantity are both reduced a little this year.

BST

Postby BST » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:07 pm

We haven't got any to pick but occasionally our trees seem to like a rest! We've had 2 very good years following a poor year.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:48 pm

We spray regularly hence no problems regards disease etc and we have 1 good year and one bad year has been the same in the last 11years we have been here, the locals who are very helpful with advice etc say that is normal, we do not irrigate, we have only 40 trees on our 2000sq metre plot .............
Dave H

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Thanks for the link Maud, an interesting article.

The writer however makes rather a large generalisation by saying this seasons harvest will be lower quality as many factors impact on quality - timing of the harvest, time between collection and extraction and the extraction method to name just three. And of course quality is a subjective term, recent research suggests that the oil from early-harvested green olives is healthier to consume because it contains higher levels of Polyphenol -which is now reckoned by some authorities to be one of olive oils most beneficial ingredients. Most tasters however would describe the oil from early harvested olives as having a bitter taste, preferring the fruitier taste of oil from olives picked later.

For most commercial growers in Greece it's a balancing act between quantity and 'quality', up to 80% of the olive oil production from Greece is Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) so growers here will be aiming to produce oil which, among other things, contains no more than 0.8% free acidity, (or 8 lines as they say in the local olive press) generally speaking the earlier the harvest the lower the free acidity percentage, the later the harvest the higher the oil yield - so its something of a trade off between 'quality' and quantity, particularly in years like this when a combination of hot summer and very little rainfall has reduced the potential harvest.

On the subject of olive oil quality I was told yesterday by an ageing Crete cook that she regretted it was no longer possible to find the oil she had used in the 'old days', oil produced from olives which fell naturally from the trees and probably sat rotting in the nets for weeks before being collected and pressed - this oil she said, was far superior for cooking than today's EVOO's

For anyone seeking more information about olive growing and olive oil this site is a good first stop:- http://www.oliveoilsource.com/

Peter

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks for that Peter. As an add on to your last paragraph, I have also heard that the best oil is from olives which fall from the trees with the aid of the wind! I was not sure if it was just a 'story' told by our Greek friends who were 'talking up' their own oil! I can honestly say though that it is some of the best olive oil I have ever tasted. The locals claim it is down to the geography of the area. - Huge gorges which the wind whips down, and shakes their olive trees which grow overlooking the Libyan Sea! They harvest very late and without machinery. It really is good stuff!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 am

Don't the olives start to oxidise as soon as they fall from the tree? Isn't it true that the more the olives oxidise the higher the acidity of the oil?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”