Business registration plates for imported van?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cundalini

Business registration plates for imported van?

Postby Cundalini » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 pm

How do I go about getting new business registration plates in Chania area for a van imported from France? Thanks in advance.
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Kilkis

Re: Business registration plates for imported van?

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Try asking at KEP. If it is possible they may even be able to do it for you. Failing that try the driving centre on Nerokourou, at Google Earth 35°29' 43.20"N 24° 1' 52.23"E That's where you transfer ownership of vehicles so they may also deal with re-registration. I presume you did declare at customs at the original port of entry, where you first entered the country, that you intend to re-register it in Greece?

Warwick

PS I would recommend the KEP Office at Vamvakopoulo or the one on Chrisopigis, close to the driving centre, and absolutely NOT the one below the town hall at Gerani.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:31 pm

absolutely NOT the one below the town hall at Gerani.

I am curious why not. Did you have bad experiences there?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:17 pm

I have been there three times. Each time they told me that KEP couldn't do what I was asking. Each time I went to a different KEP office and they simply did it. I know three other people who have had similar experiences there. I get the impression that they just can't be @rs3d.

The best one I have ever dealt with used to be the one in Alikianos but it is no longer active. I've found the two I recommended to be very helpful. The one at the Town Hall in Chania is OK but it tends to be very busy with long queues.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks Warwick, good to know

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Kilkis wrote:Try asking at KEP. If it is possible they may even be able to do it for you. Failing that try the driving centre on Nerokourou, at Google Earth 35°29' 43.20"N 24° 1' 52.23"E That's where you transfer ownership of vehicles so they may also deal with re-registration. I presume you did declare at customs at the original port of entry, where you first entered the country, that you intend to re-register it in Greece?

Warwick

PS I would recommend the KEP Office at Vamvakopoulo or the one on Chrisopigis, close to the driving centre, and absolutely NOT the one below the town hall at Gerani.

No it was purchased from a dealer in Athens who imported it from France.
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 am

I would get the dealer to do the paperwork for you as the importation of vehicles into Greece can be a minefield.. ,you get so many conflicting reports from different sources...Have the import duties been paid?.....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 am

Jeffstclair wrote:...Have the import duties been paid?...

There aren't any import duties for a vehicle brought in from France, Jeff, but there is a fee to register the vehicle on Greek plates. If it hasn't been registered on Greek plates then I guess that fee hasn't been paid. I agree that I would ask the importer to do the paperwork.

I'm not sure exactly how it works for commercial vehicles but for cars it can be expensive if the car has a large engine. For second hand, small engine cars it can be cost effective if the purchase price outside Greece is a lot lower than it would be for the same make and model inside Greece. I know someone who found a small engine, low mileage car selling very cheaply in the UK because it was LHD and so not much demand for it. He bought it, brought it to Greece and paid the registration fees and it was still cheaper than buying the same make, model and age car here.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

I thought if you brought a vehicle into Greece from any where you were charged import duty and a fee for Greek plates ... I was asked for twelve thousand euros for my old but still in good nick Volvo estate when I tried to import 12 years ago ....have the rules changed ? I was also told then that you could only import one car and one motor bike per person that you had owned for 2 years , and all the paper work must be done at the Greek Embassy in the country that the vehicle is registered in, before you import it ... it seems the law has become a bit more flexible ...

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm not entirely sure what "business registration plates" are. Surely the key question is: what plates does the car have now? If ordinary private-car Greek ones, then the importer must himself have done the paperwork. And I don't see how he can not have done so - unless there are special rules for car dealers which enable them to have foreign registered cars sitting around the forecourt indefinitely? Of course if the plates are still French ones, then yes, I think you still do have to go through the palaver as described by Jeff. I know of two people who have successfully imported foreign cars, but one paid a Greek friend to help him through the interminable paperwork, and the other made a special trip back to the UK to do the business at the Greek embassy.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:I thought if you brought a vehicle into Greece from any where you were charged import duty and a fee for Greek plates ... I was asked for twelve thousand euros for my old but still in good nick Volvo estate when I tried to import 12 years ago ....have the rules changed ? I was also told then that you could only import one car and one motor bike per person that you had owned for 2 years , and all the paper work must be done at the Greek Embassy in the country that the vehicle is registered in, before you import it ... it seems the law has become a bit more flexible ...

No, the rules have not changed. If it is from another EU country then there is no import duty. That would be illegal under EU rules. However, there is a "fee" to re-register the vehicle with Greek plate. Unfortunately in Greece the "fee" is not a fixed amount but is a percentage of the "assessed" value of the vehicle, which is probably why you thought it was an import duty. The "assessment" is done by the Greek tax authority and doesn't necessarily have any relationship to the purchase price of the vehicle. For example you might have bought an old, but originally expensive, second hand car for €20,000 elsewhere in the EU but the Greek tax authority might assess its value as €50,000. The percentage applied depends on engine size and could be as high as 385 % for an older car using basic carburettor technology.

If you are relocating to Greece for the first time and bringing your possessions with you then you can avoid the bulk of this fee provided you go through the process with the Greek embassy and satisfy various conditions.

Clio wrote:I'm not entirely sure what "business registration plates" are...

The original post is about a commercial vehicle Clio and registering it to a business not to an individual. I think the registration document would show the ΑΦΜ of the business rather than of the owner.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm still not clear as to whether this vehicle has a) French plates, which is what I think you're assuming, in which case all the aforesaid fassaria applies, or b) Greek private-car plates, organised by the importer, which is how I read it and would obviously require a different and much simpler procedure for re-registering in the name of a business.

As I said earlier, I am just curious as to whether the dealer wouldn't have had himself to re-register the car if it had been in the country for more than six months. Or maybe there are different rules for dealerships?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:59 pm

I have no idea, Clio. The original post does not make it clear. Can you register a commercial vehicle, such as a van, to an individual? I thought a commercial vehicle had to be registered to a business? I could be wrong.

In my pretty limited experience dealers do lots of things. One friend bought a car that had been converted to run on LPG by the dealer he bought it from. It was only when he came to sell it that he discovered that the dealer had not registered it as a dual fuel vehicle so he couldn't sell it. The actual company that had done the conversion had gone out of business so it was not possible to get any form of certification for the conversion and the dealer didn't want to know anything about it. In the end I think the main agent in Greece for the manufacturer of the vehicle sorted it out. It is also true that a fakalaki can work wonders when importing a car, if you are a dealer with contacts in the customs service, so you cannot assume that an imported car is completely legal.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 am

Your dead right with that Warwick .. dealers generally don't register cars until they have a buyer 12 years ago ...when I bought our truck , I test drove it on trade plates as it had no greek papers or number plates 'cos the dealer had bought it in Germany . I paid a deposit and agreed a time to meet the dealer at the Tax office in Sitia which was next the DVLC . filled in loads of forms in both offices ,the dealer was well known in both ...they issued me with all the correct documents in my name, it took about 2 hours going from one office to the other then I paid the balance all done and dusted .... but I had to wait six months for the plates....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 am

Jeffstclair wrote:... but I had to wait six months for the plates....

That's pretty usual even for new cars bought completely normally in Greece. You often see cars driving around with a paper number plate stuck in the rear window. Some areas even run out of numbers. It is then impossible to register a vehicle in that area and you have to register it in a nearby area that still has unissued numbers. I can remember it happening in Thessaloniki many years ago. A friend, who bought a new car there, had to register it in Kavala.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”