POST-BREXIT continuing healthcare

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paul g

Re: POST-BREXIT continuing healthcare

Postby paul g » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 am

The fat lady is still a slim young girl taking singing lessons.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 am

paul g wrote:The fat lady is still a slim young girl taking singing lessons.

Like it! Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 am

Or possibly her parents to be are still in the back of a car with steamed up windows?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 am

Kilkis wrote:
filippos wrote:...4. If any new rules allow, self-insurance i.e. pay bills as they arise from ones own resources.
Logically that is a possibility but I am not sure if it is really. The rules that allow us to live here talk about healthcare insurance not about being able to pay independently. The EU loves rules.
Warwick
Which is why I said .."If any new rules allow..."

BST

Postby BST » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 am

I doubt if there are many people living here who have the resources, potentially thousands of pounds that might be needed for major surgery or long term treatment for major illnesses. It's not just about forking out to see a doctor or consultant or routine x-rays. Wouldn't be bothered otherwise.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Albania is not in the EU there are thousands from Albania in Greece and hundreds in and around our village not all working but most are I can not see them paying thousands for health ins.
This is just the EU Maffia trying to make an example of the UK as Varoufakis Said and David Davies has found out you can not negotiate with someone that will not negotiate this is how Brexit came about with Camerons last EU meeting before referendum it is the EU way or no way,the Balkan countries are having this now with refugees the prime countries can stop them but the underdogs can not two class EU again.
And if there is a rethink on Brexit all us expats can kiss goodbye to the pound and your savings when joining the Maffia again
they will demand an instant devaluation of the pound for the UK adopt the Euro to join the club again as well as any other way they can find to crush our sovereign country Oh to have Maggi at the helm for us now ,that my opinion anyway at least the weathers not as hot now.

BST

Postby BST » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:12 pm

I'm not sure the Albanians would expect healthcare for serious illnesses if they don't pay IKAs? I think they would pop back across the border.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Kamisiana wrote:Albania is not in the EU there are thousands from Albania in Greece and hundreds in and around our village not all working but most are I can not see them paying thousands for health ins.

Most Albanians here in Greece are relatively young, working and paying into IKA healthcare for themselves and their families. Their work permits also cost hundreds of euros and they need to have a minimum number of IKA stamps to renew them. That's the likely scenario for working UK citizens here too after Brexit if there is no kind of reciprocol agreement.

I don't see many Albanian pensioners living here in Greece? Although there may be a few in the next 10-20 years as those who settled here in the 90's and paid into IKA for 20/30 years will be due Greek pensions at some point.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Yes all my Albanians friends around here ,either own or rent houses, have full time jobs ,and children at school. Most still have family ties with Albania and some of them spend some of the year there. You have to admire young people who are prepared to up stumps and work hard , and make a life in another country ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:46 pm

You have to remember that southern Albania used to be northern Epirus, part of Greece. Many if not all of the Albanians working here tend to have some Greek ethnicity. Many would have Greek as a first language. I'm not sure about Albania but even in the communist era the border between Yugoslavia and Greece was pretty porous. No wire fences, simply a white painted concrete block every 100 m or so and a watch tower every km or so.

Warwick

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Unless I've read this wrong the healthcare bit of bl**dy Brexit seems to have less disagreements than other topics.
It looks as though things might stay the same.
Not get better you understand, just stay the same.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... loDNj7BlXA

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am

The Government has resonded to the recent petition calling for another referendum once the terms of the deal between UK and EU are known. This is a tellng paragraph for anyone who hoped there might be a chance for democracy to have another go:

"Both Houses of Parliament will have the opportunity to vote on the final agreement reached with the EU before it is concluded. This will be a meaningful vote which will give MPs the choice to either accept the final agreement or leave the EU with no agreement. "

Under the rules, as the petition got more than 100,000 signatures (111,379 in fact) the Petitions committee still has to consider whether it should call for a Parliamentary debate. Don't hold your breath folks! View the full story on this link: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200004?reveal_response=yes

Given a 'no deal' result, healthcare will be off the table and it will be up to the Greek Government to decided on how to handle it.

Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:58 am

Sorry Bob, but I don't think it will be up to the Greek government. Greece will still be part of the EU(?) so Greece will have to do whatever the EU decides to do if there is no deal.

An interesting analysis by Sky News today. London is the world centre for trading in gold. The London Bullion Market is the primary market for all trades in physical gold but the majority of the gold passing through it does not belong to anybody in the UK. The gold traded in London belongs to owners, e.g. miners, throughout the world, and is sold to buyers throughout the world, primarily China, India, Russia and Switzerland. It is included in the UK trade figures but it isn't really, in the sense of somebody making something in the UK and selling it abroad or someone buying something in the UK that is made abroad. It has been presented for some time that the UK's trade with the rest of the world is bigger than the trade with the EU. If you strip this gold exchange out of the figures it is really about 50:50. Things are often not what they seem to be at first sight.

Warwick

PS Sky News have been doing a whole series of programmes trying to analyse different aspects of Brexit and overall I think they have genuinely been trying to get to real hard facts rather than promoting either side of the debate.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Point taken Warwick. As to gold, yes, I too saw the article. But without a chance to 'reconsider' it's all pretty pointless stuff - true thought it may be. Bob.

Return to “General Discussion & News”