Buying a car in Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cruc

Buying a car in Crete

Postby Cruc » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:03 am

We are now looking to spend more time in Crete and am looking to purchase a car. We have a home here but are not tax residence. In the UK you just walk into a showroom choose a car and pay for it, simples.

I have been advised that it is not that simple here in Crete (nothing ever is). Because we don't live here we have been advised to visit the police station and fill out some forms and pay a fee. Is this correct? Can anyone please tell me the procedure for purchasing a car In Crete. We are looking for a used car preferably from a dealer that will offer after sales service.
Regards
Cruc

Kilkis

Re: Buying a car in Crete

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm

It's pretty much the same here with two slight twists:

1 Firstly you will be expected to pay a fee to register the car in your name. Typically dealers do not include this in the price so normally it will be on top of the price quoted. The fee varies with engine size but it is likely to be in the range €100 to €300. The dealer should advise you and will normally actually do the process for you. The process is normally done at the driving centre covering your area. You have to pay the fee to a bank and get a receipt which you give to the person doing the registration. There is a machine to do this in the driving centre but it often doesn't work so the bank route is easier.
    2 The driving centre where you change ownership will want to see your passport, your tax number, your address and a residence permit. I am told you can get round the residence permit by signing a legal declaration that you do not live here long enough to require a resident permit but I don't know the details because I didn't need to go down that route. Alternatively you could simply get a residence permit. It does not commit you to being tax resident since you are supposed to get a permit if you stay more than 3 months but you only become tax resident if you live here more than 6 months. All you need for a residence permit is your passport, proof of income, e.g. a Greek bank book with some money in it, proof of health insurance, e.g. they usually accept an EHIC, and the contract for the house you own, they will photocopy the page with your and the house details. Again the dealer should be able to advise you.

If the dealer is not prepared to do it KEP can do the process provided you can provide them with the correct documents.

Warwick

PS If the car has not had the circulation tax paid for this year you will need to pay that as well. Never a good idea to buy late in the year.

Cruc

Postby Cruc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks Warwick once again very informative and helpful advise.
Regards

Cruc

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 am

Go to Supercars Chania and speak to the owner Manolis he's a great guy and speaks very good English, Manolis and his uncle will organise all the paperwork and chauffeur you around the various offices, making it as simple as buying a car in the UK.

On the first occasion I bought a car from Supercars Chania I told Manolis it would take a few days to get the money transferred from England - "No problem" he said "take the car now and bring me the money when you have it" I drove off with a €9,000 car having only met the guy once before.

Here's a link to Supercars website:-

https://supercars-chania.car.gr/cars/

Peter

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:24 am

You were lucky, Peter. It was the other way round with us. When we bought a new car from the Hyundai dealership in Agios Nikolaos we had to hand over the entire price up front "so that they will release the car from the store in Athens..."! For a while I did wonder if we would ever see the money or the car again, so it was quite a relief to collect it from the Ag Nik showroom a week later. :D

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:19 pm

We bought a new car eighteen months ago from a main dealership, Xania. Delivery schedule was approx. three months. Dealer asked for nothing until he was given a confirmed delivery date. On that date the dealer phoned. "Your car will be here on xx/month; please pay €1000 deposit next time you are passing and can you let me have €xxx in cash for registration?"
Did that and 2-3 weeks later, "Your car is in the showroom, ready to go". Immediately arranged for direct bank transfer of the balance and collected car next day. Luckily, I'd taken a copy of the bank transfer instruction as the money hadn't reached his account before I drove away.

P.S. I've also had dealings with Manoli at Super Cars and endorse Peter W's comment.

BST

Postby BST » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:16 am

Have bought 2 cars from Supercars, Chania. We have found Manolis to be totally trustworthy , very helpful and he speaks perfect English. He will help you sort out the paperwork so you don't have to worry in advance! He also knows all the other dealers in Chania and does some second hand valuations for main dealers. Certainly a good place to start your search!

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Peter W wrote:Go to Supercars Chania and speak to the owner Manolis he's a great guy and speaks very good English, Manolis and his uncle will organise all the paperwork and chauffeur you around the various offices, making it as simple as buying a car in the UK.

On the first occasion I bought a car from Supercars Chania I told Manolis it would take a few days to get the money transferred from England - "No problem" he said "take the car now and bring me the money when you have it" I drove off with a €9,000 car having only met the guy once before.

Here's a link to Supercars website:-

https://supercars-chania.car.gr/cars/

Peter

Ditto from me - I bought a (new to me) second hand car last February - the whole process was completely stress free and the car is great!

KateD

Postby KateD » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:40 pm

We waited till October and bought an ex rental car from Flisvos in Almyrida or Kalyves. Really good car, well maintained, much cheaper than super cars......

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:12 pm

The rental companies can be a good source. A few years ago I dithered for too long and missed out on a very good deal with Auto-Club (also Almyrida & Kalyves). I phoned to confirm yes/no a few days later than promised; Kostas assumed I'd decided against and sold to A. N. Other. Full history, pre-sale service, new tyres and low price. The man who bought it used for six months and sold it for almost €1K more than he paid.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm

filippos wrote:The rental companies can be a good source. A few years ago I dithered for too long and missed out on a very good deal with Auto-Club (also Almyrida & Kalyves). I phoned to confirm yes/no a few days later than promised; Kostas assumed I'd decided against and sold to A. N. Other. Full history, pre-sale service, new tyres and low price. The man who bought it used for six months and sold it for almost €1K more than he paid.

No wonder we see you out walking all the time Phil. !!
Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I've been hobbling rather than walking since Feb, Bob, when vertebrae problems were diagnosed but, after umpteen scans and treatments for various possible causes, three months of physio seems to have just about fixed the problem. On Friday the physio released me to start proper 'exercise' walks, encouraged me to ride a bike and go to a gym. The last item on condition I tell him which gym so he can discuss with the coach what I should be doing.
The root cause of the problem seems most likely to stem from when I fell 4 or 5 metres out of a tree about 20+ years ago.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm

filippos wrote:The root cause of the problem seems most likely to stem from when I fell 4 or 5 metres out of a tree about 20+ years ago.

OUCH! Glad the physio is on the ball. Good luck. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”