I claimed on my Greek house insurance - here's what you need to know!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Stavros

I claimed on my Greek house insurance - here's what you need to know!

Postby Stavros » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:18 am

Having your house broken into is a traumatic experience; you do not really know how it feels until it has happened to you. After the first shock and once the reality settles in, you must get involved into the practicalities of your house insurance policy and how to go about it in order to get compensated.

This article is about my experience, my thoughts and my tips as I recently went through this process and I would like to share it with you.

(Read the rest of the article here...)

https://insurance-greece.com/insurance- ... insurance/

Kilkis

Re: I claimed on my Greek house insurance - here's what you need to know!

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:44 am

A useful article, Stavros. I love the fun fact regarding the pool. I think the paragraph about items of jewellery not being covered unless inside a wall embedded safe is interesting. While I know of one apartment in northern Greece where the thieves turned up with a furniture van and completely emptied it while the owners were at work, for all the break-ins I have heard about in Crete the thieves only took cash and jewellery. Based on your experience as an insurance advisor perhaps you could comment on two issues:

1 Is theft of large items, like TVs, from properties common* or do most thieves just steal small valuables and cash?
    2 I think there was one incident near me where the thieves broke in while the owners were at home and tortured them to force them to open the safe. Is a safe such a good idea?

Warwick

* By common I mean as a percentage of all break-ins. I realise that, overall, being burgled in Greece is less common than in the UK.

Stavros

Re: I claimed on my Greek house insurance - here's what you need to know!

Postby Stavros » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:30 am

Thank you dear Warwick,

Regarding large items I would say it depends on the location of the house. Properties in residential areas have an increased risk for burglars in which case they go after small items, easily hidden. Properties in rural areas give them more time to ''work'' so anything goes...

On your second point it depends on the insurer. One company I know of excludes jewellery, cash, cheques etc completely while others do cover them in an embedded safe. The terms mention that even if the burglars force the owners to open the safe these items will be covered by the insurer. And it doesn't have to be an armed robbery, even physical violence applies.

No official statistics on the points above, just my personal experience...I hope it helps!

Return to “General Discussion & News”