New National Road

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

New National Road

Postby bobscott » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:59 pm

http://www.chaniapost.eu/2017/09/22/tsipras-says-work-for-the-construction-of-northern-road-axis-of-crete-will-start-in-early-2019/

I had hoped this project had died but it appears we are set for another lot of expense, disruption etc. Have not heard any real explanation why it is necessary. Twice this week I have driven the stretch between Georgioupolis and Agios Nikolaos. Apart from the inevitable congestion caused by creating another set of lanes on a 7 km stretch of road east of Iraklio Airport, the journey was trouble-free. Where is the log-jam of traffic originally quoted so many years ago to justify the new road? Has the stretch towards Sitia been completed yet or are there still large bridge supports swaying in the breeze as indpendent lumps of concrete?

Follow the money??? You bet!

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Mixos

Re: New National Road

Postby Mixos » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:56 pm

The answer to your last question, Bob, is No! The elevated section to bypass Xamezi sits exactly as it has done for the past 5? 8? years, although work either side of it has finished with a lovely new blacktop surface that nobody can drive on. So many rumours have "explained" the delay in completion, including money (they ran out after spending it all on the new airport terminal), "concrete death" (it was not mixed to spec), and the latest -- some of the piles aren't deep enough. I have no idea if any or some of that is true, but if Tsipras is to be believed, we might expect progress next year. Or not.

Kilkis

Re: New National Road

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 pm

A fairly typical scenario occurs when the project is partially EU funded. In order to obtain the EU funds the national government has to pay a proportion of the cost. Often in Greece the government commits to do this, starts the project, spends all the EU funds and then doesn't have the national funds to complete it. It has happened over an over again.

Another scenario occurs where the work is wholly under the control of Greek contractors. They use the payments made to complete other projects and then don't have enough left to complete the project they were funded to do.

I have personal knowledge of such contracts and several other variants. I stress I was not involved in any of them.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”