Mosquitoes

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
mouche

Re: Mosquitoes

Postby mouche » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Mosquitoes, what mosquitoes?

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm

No problem here with mosquitoes I trap them in a humane trap and release them in the next village, can not stand all the blood when you wack them on your leg.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm sorry but this is getting absolutely ridiculous. This thread is a classic example of the current problem of an inability to distinguish quality of information that is growing in prevalence. The Internet is a boon as a source of information but it is also a curse. People read reports and believe them. They have no reference that allows them to judge between what is accurate and what isn't. Nobody reads the original scientific reports. Nobody reads the clinical studies. It is completely random chance if the source of information they do look at is accurate or not and the likelihood of it not being is growing daily.

TweetTweet wrote:]Many drugs actually cure illnesses completely.
Which ones?

I'll give you an example. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the age of 25. This is a killer form of cancer where the disease is distributed so it cannot be operated on. He was treated with high dose radiation and several series of chemotherapy. Based on experience at that time he was told that he should have a life expectancy of at least 5 years compared to the months he would have had at best without treatment. He is still alive and is now 76. He has led a full and active life for all those years. He is not far off reaching average life expectancy. Technically the treatment is not a cure because the disease can reoccur but how would you describe a treatment that allows you to live to the age you would have lived to without the disease. I don't have the time or the medical knowledge to provide a complete list.

TweetTweet wrote:...There are many medical problems that fit more into the category of a "condition" rather than a disease and cannot be cured.

Can you explain what you mean please

As an example I would describe non-specific hypertension as a condition rather than a disease. It occurs naturally in many people as they get older but has no specific cause. It does not cause death directly but can contribute to illnesses that do, such as heart attacks and stroke. You cannot cure hypertension but it is ameliorated by a variety of drugs all developed by this evil pharmaceutical industry. My maternal grandmother had it, didn't take any medication and died of a stroke in her early 60s. Her husband had it, didn't take any medication and died of a heart attack in his mid 60s. My father had it didn't take any medication and died of a heart attack at 53. My mother had it, took medication from her mid 40s and lived to be 89. OK, anecdotal but I think the message is clear. Hypertension medication prevents thousands of premature deaths.

I cannot make any sense of your comment on sugars. Incidence of cancer and heart disease is measurably higher in people who are overweight and higher still in people who are obese. A diet high in fat leads to obesity. A diet high in sugar leads to obesity. A diet high in both is doubly dangerous. Somebody eating super-size burgers and drinking giant cokes is not exactly doing themselves any good. A diet needs to be balanced between carbohydrate, protein and fat. It should contain no more calories overall than you burn off. Our bodies and our metabolism evolved over a very long period of time and for much of that time we ate a diet that was high in vegetable sources of nutrients and low in animal protein and fat. The high levels of animal protein and fat that we consume today is a fairly recent phenomenon in evolutionary terms. My Greek landlady in northern Greece said that, when she was young, going 48 days without meat before Pascha was never really a problem because they wouldn't eat meat much more often that that normally. The Mediterranean diet really just mimics to a large extent the diet we evolved to eat over millennia so it is not really surprising that it is healthy.

TweetTweet wrote:...I seem to recall the mass immunisation of Indian children against polio resulted in an EXPLOSION ofpolio. What about the (disatrous) current HPV vax for young girls? What about the cancer causing agents inserted into vaccines between 1954 ad around 1970?...

Then your recollection is not that good. Here is a brief history of it on the BBC web site. Read the captions, look at then numbers and look at the maps. That is reality.

Here is an article that debunks other myths about vaccines, including the addition of cancer causing agents to vaccines and the HPV ones that you are promulgating. Incidence of cervical cancer halved. Disastrous? What disaster?

TweetTweet wrote:...I know Bill Gates is on a mission to vacccinate the world and reduce the popultion.

I applaud him and support him 100 %. The population of the world is currently higher than the planet can sustain. High birthrates occur in countries where there is high death rates, especially childhood mortality. Vaccinate against disease, educate on contraception and make it readily available and the birth rate will fall and with it, eventually the world population. You finish up with a healthier population leading happier and more fulfilling lives and doing less destruction to the planet. What's not to like. I cannot think of a better way for him to spend the billions we have given him.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Surely it's common sense that if a cure for cancer (as an example) was found then why hide it? The company would make billions would they not?
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am

TweetTweet wrote:
]Many drugs actually cure illnesses completely.
Which ones?

TB Tweet tweet.
Contracted in the 1960s, still alive and kicking today, thanks to 97 injections of streptomycin and two years of daily Inapasade.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 am

Some other examples would be all diseases treated with anti-biotics such as pneumonia, with a success rate of between 70 % and 80 %, gonorrhoea and primary syphilis, both with a success rate typically 100 %. OK, it's not perfect and some very serious cases of pneumonia don't respond to treatment. Also these are all transmittable diseases so it is possible to catch them again. In all cases, however the disease is actually cured. At the end of the treatment the patient is free of the disease and will remain free unless they contract it again from another infected person.

HIV treatments have also reached a point where somebody receiving it could expect to have a virtually normal life expectancy and very low probability of infecting someone else. Like my example in an earlier post this is not technically a cure but to all intents and purposes it is. AIDS was only detected in the early 80s and at that point there was no known cure. The cause, the HIV virus, was only discovered in the mid 80s so it was only at that point that pharmaceutical companies could start to develop treatments. Given the time it takes to develop a drug and get it through clinical trials, to go from no cure and certain death to having a virtually normal life expectancy in 30 years is a phenomenal achievement.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:08 pm

mouche wrote:Mosquitoes, what mosquitoes?

bump

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm

mouche wrote:
mouche wrote:Mosquitoes, what mosquitoes?

bump

:D

The rains are coming! That will see them all off soon emough.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:42 am

Hooray to that! For the record, I will be smelling of Vicks next year ...
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 am

Shouldn't that read, "Next year I will mostly be smelling of Vicks", see Jesse in the Fast Show. Remember, I know what you look like.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Yes Warwick, NEXT year I will be mostly smelling of Vicks :lol: :lol: :lol:
Someday is now : )

Return to “General Discussion & News”