One Drive on not-so-smart Samsung phone

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

One Drive on not-so-smart Samsung phone

Postby johnincrete » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 am

I understand that On Drive is a Microsoft offering and is intended for storage. I have no reason to use it. Somehow it has installed itself on my phone but I get a warning every few seconds "One Drive has stopped" and it makes using the phone very difficult because you have to click OK. IT would be sensible if the warning allowed you to start One Drive or delete it but it is MIcrosoft!

I have tried moving the app's icon to the Delete icon but it does no delete.

Can anyone help me please ideally to delete ON Drive from my phone or to start it.

Kilkis

Re: One Drive on not-so-smart Samsung phone

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 am

I'm guessing you mean Microsoft OneDrive, not On Drive? It is Microsoft's Cloud Storage function which is automatically included in Windows 10. If you open the file manager app in Windows you will find it near the top of the list of folders. Microsoft also provides apps for various smart phones and tablets so you can access files stored on OneDrive from your phone or tablet. For example you could create a document using your home PC and store it on OneDrive. Commuting to work on the train you could continue working on the document using your phone or tablet and save it back to OneDrive. When you get to work you could then access the file from your work PC and carry on developing it. That's the general idea.

As far as I am aware it is not included by default on Samsung smart phones, e.g. it isn't on mine, so you should be able to remove it. On the smart phone swipe down the screen from the top, open Settings, i.e. tap on the cog wheel at top right, tap on More at top right and then tap on Application Manager. That should open a list of all the apps stored on the phone. Scroll down until you find "Microsoft OneDrive" and tap on it. That should open a panel giving details of the app and near top right should be an Uninstall button. Tap that and it should go away.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks Kilkis but One Drive is not listed in the application and the stupid message is still making life difficult.

Incidentally, one reason I got the phone was to have a portable Bible application to replace my large Bibles when I am at church. IT has disappeared from the phone. Maybe I should ditch the smart phone and go back to a real phone i.e. one that is designed to make phone calls as opposed to one that is designed to be a computer.

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 am

I had the same problem and couldn't find OneDrive in the list of applications.

The solution I found was to go to Play Store and search for One Drive and then press UPDATE. That stopped the message.

George

Postby George » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Sadly Samsung have recently used Microsoft products as part of a deal which is why you now have excel, word etc available. On my phone (A3) you go into app manager and after selecting the offending article you cannot uninstall it unless you have root permissions. If however, you select disable this will go to the update section and effectively return to the default state which removes the app but still leaves the icon.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Probably not on my S4 mini duos because it dates back to early 2014.

If it shows as an App Icon I'm surprised it doesn't show in the App Management list? You did look under "M" for Microsoft not "O" for OneDrive didn't you John?

You should be able to go back to Play Store and install your chosen Bible App again, John.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:36 am

Another thought, John. I am not sure if the bible app you were using gave you any special features that you needed but if not an alternative solution would be to download a copy of the bible itself as an epub or kindle document and simply read it with a reader app. You can get the Complete King James version of the bible for free from project Gutenberg and free reader apps such as kindle. It still allows you to search for text, highlight/underline text and add annotations.

Warwick

PS You might also find Calibre useful. It is an app that works on Windows and mobile devices that allows you to organise a library of books and read them. You can use it on your PC and then load them onto a reader device such as kindle, android smart phone/tablet or iPhone/iPad.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 pm

George wrote:Sadly Samsung have recently used Microsoft products as part of a deal which is why you now have excel, word etc available.
What's wrong with having Word, Excel etc., and One Drive on a Samsung phone? The Office apps are available to suit just about any platform, including Android and Macs while One Drive is, essentially, MS's version of Dropbox, allowing you to access any file from any of your 'devices'. For example, my son uses Macs at home but works with MS PCs in the office. He can work on a report at home on, say Excel for Mac, continue with it on the train to work using either Android or Mac phone ( he has both), finish it on his PC at the office then upload it to One Drive for his client to download whenever he wishes.

George

Postby George » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

It's purely a personal choice thing, and I just think that it's disappointing that they went with a company that have used some questionable tactics to get where they are today. The more open source we have the better, but choice is very important too.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Kilkis wrote:You might also find Calibre useful. It is an app that works on Windows and mobile devices that allows you to organise a library of books and read them. You can use it on your PC and then load them onto a reader device such as kindle, android smart phone/tablet or iPhone/iPad.

Just to avoid ambiguity I would mention that "Calibre" also works on MacOS as well as Windows.

As regards smartphones, I've never had one. The screens are too small for me. Instead, I have an ordinary Nokia twin-SIM phone and an Apple iPad-Mini, which is about the same size as a Kindle and conveniently fits into my smallish shoulder bag. The screen is large enough for reading books and there's certain to be a bible App available.

It's also worth considering a Kindle Fire as there's at least one bible App available for it and it's cheap. The main drawback with the Kindle Fire is that it forces you to have an Amazon account, otherwise it won't work. It also presents you with adverts (I guess that's why it's so cheap at only £50.) However, it uses WiFi and supports Skype, Dropbox, email, web-browsing, etc. and represents good value for money.
http://www.glodark.com/Kindle_Fire_Review.htm

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”